• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

January snowstorm

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
Well, we finally have winter. We went from half a foot of snow here at the house to over 20. Hard to tell as we finally got some wind last night and it blew snow into drifts, and it's still early so we haven't been out and about yet! Heavy wet snow, just what we needed. We were just about to start counting how many ton of hay we have still, planning for a short run off in the late spring. We flood irrigate our hay meadows; we were just starting to worry about a bad hay crop! Premature, I know, but we ranchers have to worry about something, right?!
Jan_snow_storm_008.jpg

My in laws feed the cows here near home and they said the snow was half way up the cows' sides when they got off their feed trails.
Jan_snow_storm_019.jpg

This is where I live, a mile from where my husband grew up. This ranch has been here for almost 110 years, a long time in our part of the world!
Jan_snow_storm_024.jpg

The cows love browsing in the afternoon in the pine trees and willow bottoms. These girls thought the ditch was the place to hang out in.
Jan_snow_storm_012.jpg

These are a few of our 100 replacement heifer calves. They are really starting to grow right now. I think our warm winter has had something to do with it! The future forcast is calling for snow everyday and mild temps for the next week. My husband was using the tractor to feed with at our other ranch to make feeding go fast for my sis in law so she could get to town in time for her job. He's going back to the draft horses. The bottom of the JD tractor was dragging in the snow yesterday and it will be impossible today after the wind set the snow up. Thank God for the horse power!

I'm glad you got some moisture, it's lightly snowing here this morning, but shouldn't add up to much :D . I've ordered moisture after the 21st of March, I'm enjoying this mild, cheap feeding winter :wink: :D . I still don't have the ladies on full feed. Thanks for the pics, they are beautiful.

Great pics Wyoming Wind, you people who feed in those deep snow conditions just amaze me. Could we get some new/more pics of you feeding with the belgians. how do you get the round bales off the sleigh,pitch fork?

hayguy said:
Great pics Wyoming Wind, you people who feed in those deep snow conditions just amaze me. Could we get some new/more pics of you feeding with the belgians. how do you get the round bales off the sleigh,pitch fork?
Yup, the old fashioned way, with the pitchfork....i plan to go out and feed this week on a nice day, I will take more pictures then and post some. A bit of a ground blizzard today so me and our 18 month old son decided to stay home and take a mid-morning nap next to the fireplace. I don't feel one bit guilty about it either! :D

Im glad y'all have that over there. We are pretty clear for the most part here in NE Wy. It has been getting just above freezing during the day though and melting what little snow we had. Now it's a skating rink here in the yard and corrals.

The wind has been killer though. It was 31 yesterday, but the wind made me hurry through the chores as the wind chill made it miserable. Sometimes the sub zero temps seem preferable.

Tex

Awesome pictures, know what you mean about worrying about irrigating water. We've finally started getting some in our mountains. Only 2" here.

Despite the hassle of dealing with the snow,,it sure made for some pretty pictures. The last 2 storms have missed us totally and we're pretty dry too. Could use just a little of that wet snow now before calving starts...Stay warm!

Latest posts