• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan border not open until Fall

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Japanese newspaper predicts border will not open to U.S. beef until summer's end

by Pete Hisey on 2/11/05 for Meatingplace.com

Citing internal disagreements within Japan's Food Safety Commission, a complicated process to revise the country's law that all cattle slaughtered must be tested for bovine spongiform encephalopathy and recent events such as the death of a Japanese man from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Japanese newspaper the Asahi Shimbun predicted that the market would not open to American beef until the end of the summer at the earliest.

"Optimists say the decision (to accept American beef graded A40) should help to accelerate work to change domestic safety standards," the paper said. "But that is not the case."

A review of the system is underway, but "has taken much longer than expected." Even if the panel conducting the review were to recommend ending the requirement to test cattle under 20 months of age, there is no certainty that the Food Safety Commission would approve it.

Meanwhile, Japan and the United States will hold meetings soon at which Tokyo will present Washington with a list of requirements the Japanese want met in confirming the age of cattle and other safeguards against infection. No date has been set for the meetings, according to an Agricultural Ministry official.

The $1.7 BILLION we lost last year alone would have tested 85 million head, AND had the confidence of the Jap consumer. This is absolute insanity.
Dog and pony show from top to bottom.

Mike said:
The $1.7 BILLION we lost last year alone would have tested 85 million head, AND had the confidence of the Jap consumer. This is absolute insanity.

We can change every rule in the book to open the Canadian Border-According to USDA those rules were just non binding "guidance tools" now and can be changed at will-BUT when it comes to testing we will not bend.....

I think blanket testing would be a good thing. Im not sure why Canada and the US wont test animals and if they have BSE take them outta the food chain and then there gone. What do you think about that?

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

We can change every rule in the book to open the Canadian Border-According to USDA those rules were just non binding "guidance tools" now and can be changed at will-BUT when it comes to testing we will not bend.....

Very good point, OT. Just about makes one sick, doesn't it? Lets just test, please? Pretty please?

Hey ,HE was right in the begining,he is still right now and he will be right in the end and even the British are starting a test every animal protcol.

Look at what we have lost by not testing, I also believe that all cattle and beef coming from Canada to the US should be tested.

The last post was mine. I am registered but for some reason when I put my name in it says...
Sorry, but this username has already been taken. HELP

Tommy

Tommy,

Sounds like you are trying to register again. Just click the Login button, enter User Name and Password and check the "Login me automatically" box and you won't have to ever login again.

If you can see the Login button you are not logged in, if you see the Logout button you are logged in.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I think blanket testing would be a good thing. Im not sure why Canada and the US wont test animals and if they have BSE take them outta the food chain and then there gone. What do you think about that?

The big packers don't want it. That is the reason. It just infuriorates me to think of what we're leaving on the table to appease them. And on top it it all, we're still a long ways from sending beef. :mad:

Did the Japanese ever guarantee that they would take our beef if we tested? They said it was a step but never gave any gurantees. Plus once you implement it it will be a cost forever that the beef industry will have to do...that doesn't sound so good long term as that will get passed down the supply chain to the cow-calf guy!!

Plus in Canada with Chronic wasting disease in Elk, they said to test everything in order to export, so we began testing everything........still not exporting!!!!

Please don't jump to conclusions with permanent decisions like this

Guest,

I had to go to my email and there was an email where I clicked on. That was rhe final step in registering

Cattleman said:
Did the Japanese ever guarantee that they would take our beef if we tested? They said it was a step but never gave any gurantees. Plus once you implement it it will be a cost forever that the beef industry will have to do...that doesn't sound so good long term as that will get passed down the supply chain to the cow-calf guy!!

Plus in Canada with Chronic wasting disease in Elk, they said to test everything in order to export, so we began testing everything........still not exporting!!!!

Please don't jump to conclusions with permanent decisions like this

Cattleman, I'd hesitate to call allowing testing to be "permanent". The recent news show nothing is permanent. Right now our choices are;

A) Refuse to test, Japan refuses to buy our beef. Definetly the low cost way to do business. Problem is, it also equates to no sales/profits.
B) Split a $20 fee (that is likely to go down as technology is advanced) and sell some beef.

I looks like an easy call to me.

I think it is a shame that we have not at least called Japan's bluff on testing. Now it looks like it will be fall at the earliest that we will ship beef to Japan. :roll:

However, producers initially know birth dates for a much higher percentage of the population; that information needs to travel with calves in a verifiable fashion throughout the production chain.

It is likely that future fed-cattle prices will reflect a need to document age of birth. Already during 2004, BSE has influenced fed-cattle prices; USDA Market News currently reports discounts of up to $35 per hundredweight (carcass basis) for cattle classified as over 30 months of age via dentition. Market pressure from agreements with foreign countries to resume beef trade may lead to further price differentiation at the time of fed-cattle harvest. Producers can take advantage of requirements to provide fed cattle that are less than 21 months of age as such source-verification information could result in premiums in contrast to prices that will be provided for cattle that do not conform to this need.SSI provides this from FIELD to FORK,or this Link www.scoringsystem.info/agri/

Latest posts