• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan confirms # 18

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

World Friday, May 13, 2005

In Brief

2005-05-13 / Agencies /

Japan finds new case of mad cow disease
TOKYO, Japan

Japan yesterday confirmed its 18th case of mad cow disease in an animal amid pressure from the United States to resume imports of its beef suspended over health fears.

A panel of experts confirmed the 68-month-old female Holstein had had the brain-wasting disease bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), which decimated Britain's cattle industry in the 1990s, the agriculture ministry said.

The cow was in Sunagawa city of the northern island of Hokkaido, the ministry said in a statement.

Possibly fearing damage to the local farming industry, the ministry called on the media to be "fully considerate" when reporting from the city.

"By way of precaution, we add that meat and internal organs from this cow will be incinerated and will not go on the market," it said.

Japan is the only Asian country to have confirmed cases of BSE.

Do you know the history of these Japanese cases of BSE?

For example, was this animal born and raised in Japan?

Was this animal ever treated with organophosphates?

It seems odd that when Canada has a case, we have to document to the world every movement of the animal, but I don't see this being done with animals from Japan. I would like to know more details. If you have any sites I could find answers at please post them, thanks.

Latest posts