• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan finds Cases 18 and 19?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Japan reports 2 new possible cases of mad cow disease; more tests planned

Canadian Press

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

TOKYO (AP) - Two cows in northern Japan have tested positive for mad cow disease in preliminary exams, and samples were being sent Tuesday to a laboratory to confirm what would be the country's 18th and 19th cases of the fatal, brain-wasting disease.

Preliminary tests on the cows - an 18-year-old beef cattle and a 10-year-old Holstein - turned up positive late Monday at a dairy health centre in Miyagi, local official Yoshiyuki Konno said.

Samples from the two cows were to be taken later Tuesday to a state-run research centre north of Tokyo for more precise testing, he said. Final results from the secondary tests would be released in several days, he added.

In February, Japan confirmed its first human case of mad cow disease following the death of a man with symptoms of the illness. Japanese health authorities have said it was likely the man contracted the disease while living for a month in Britain - where mad cow first surfaced - in 1989.

Tokyo has checked every slaughtered cow before it enters the food supply since 2001, after its first discovery of mad cow disease, known formally as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE.

Eating beef from an infected cattle is thought to cause the fatal human variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

Negative? When did Japan start importing test kits from the US? Must be a free trade thing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

reader (the Second) said:
Notice how neutrally I posted this.

Yeah, really? Not so neutral as you might think.

Excuse me, you say?

Well I looked your post over very carefully and noticed that the cow in your avatar has a hint of a grin on it's face.

:lol: :lol:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Negative? When did Japan start importing test kits from the US? Must be a free trade thing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Japs must be getting a {free trade} deal on the Bio-Rads. They are notorious for false positives, and without a high degree of accuracy in the false negative dept. I read the other day that someone is producing a test strip - just swipe it across the obex brain tissue - if it turn blue, it's positive. They are down in the $4.00 - $5.00 range.
But the Japs do have quite a sophisticated lab to send those false positives, unlike the USDA.

Mike....Perhaps the reason Bio-rad is used so much is the fact that they offered a much more attractive pricing package. When Prionics first approached the Canadian market, they were adamant that the price per test would be in the $70 (Can.) range as that was the price they were receiving in Europe. As well I believe the Bio-rad process lends itself towards more automation......a big factor when you consider the cost of unionized labour in govt. labs. I do agree that there are better tests than Bio-Rad but they should receive some credit for bringing economical value to the diagnostic process.

cowsense:"Bio-Rad but they should receive some credit for bringing economical value to the diagnostic process"

I personally don't think economical value should be traded for accuracy. Those false positives don't exactly help consumer confidence, or at least ours didn't. Just gave the media some more things to talk about.
Prionics has had an automated test for quite a while, I think they had the first? For just a few dollars more.

BSE showed up in the UK in 1986, not 1989 as the Japanese news article states.

OIE Chart on BSE/UK: http://www.oie.int/eng/info/en_esbru.htm

Interesting that the age of these cattle was old to very old (10 and 18 years). I wonder if the testing is really finding BSE prions or just protease resistant PrPC that is somehow aged, for lack of a better word. We don't stay young forever.

Have a great day.

Latest posts