• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan says NO for Umpteenth Time!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

United Press International

Japan will not resume U.S. beef imports
Jul. 13, 2005 at 8:17PM
Japan will not ease its ban on beef imports from the United States, farm minister Yoshinobu Shimamura announced Wednesday.
Kyodo reports Shimamura met with U.S. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johann to discuss the ban, which Japan enacted after mad cow disease was discovered in U.S. cattle in 2003.
The two were at a 2-day World Trade Organization meeting in Dalian, China.
Shimamura said a Food Safety Commission's approval is necessary before beef imports can resume. He refused to set a timetable.
Japan has placed a similar ban on Canadian beef since mad cow cases were found in Canadian cattle, also in 2003.

July 14, 2005

No signs of movement in Japan beef ban

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jeff Zeleny
Chicago Tribune
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday she could offer few words of optimism for U.S. cattle producers or deliver a reasonable prediction of when Japan would lift its nearly 2-year-old ban on American beef.
While Rice said she "registered this concern yet again" during meetings with Japanese officials this week in Tokyo, she returned to the United States without any fresh answers to whether progress is being made in the trade dispute that is costing the beef industry $1.7 billion in annual exports.

Japan, which once was the largest foreign market for U.S. beef, placed a prohibition on all beef imports in December 2003 after a case of mad cow disease turned up in the United States. The Japanese government ordered a review of food-safety procedures, which has yet to be completed by an independent food safety commission in Tokyo.

"I had an opportunity to say to the Japanese government that this is something that we hope is going to be resolved very soon," Rice told reporters aboard her plane en route from Seoul, South Korea, to a refueling stop in Alaska. "The Japanese have told us that they are in the midst of a process with experts. I think they recognize that it is important that this be done as quickly as possible."

When asked if beef producers should be optimistic about a resolution, she demurred: "I can't speak to the question about optimism."

The ban on American beef imports is one of the few contentious issues in an otherwise friendly relationship between the United States and Japan.

Rice's stop in Japan, part of her four-nation, five-day dash through Asia, was dominated by developments in the North Korean nuclear disarmament talks. Rice and Japanese Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura only touched briefly upon the beef trade dispute at a joint press conference Tuesday.

"It is important that we reach as early a resolution as possible," Machimura said. In reply, Rice thanked her Japan counterpart "for their efforts to resolve this issue as quickly as possible."

Neither leader, however, elaborated on the merits of the impasse.

President Bush has repeatedly pressed Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to lift the ban. In the days leading up to the presidential election last fall, the leaders announced a tentative agreement had been reached and the Bush administration predicted that beef exporting would begin "in a matter of weeks."

At the time, some Japanese analysts criticized the move as a political favor from Koizumi to Bush designed to curry favor with voters in rural political swing states that were key to the president's re-election.

Both countries tentatively agreed to exclude cows 20 months or older from the ban, a limit reached because it is the youngest age that a cow has been diagnosed with the contagious brain wasting disease. But determining the age of imported beef has proven complicated, because few slaughterhouses keep birth records.

A Japanese food safety commission that is studying the agreement is nearly a year overdue approving the decision.

Koizumi also has said that he could not control when beef imports would be allowed because the decision is in the hands of the independent commission. Japanese consumer groups have warned him to not apply pressure to avoid the appearance that he is putting the desires of his American political ally over the health of his people.

As Rice flew back to the United States on Wednesday, she was asked about the beef trade disagreement, but sidestepped the question, saying: "I was glad to have the update. I still think the issue has to be resolved and resolved quickly."

A few minutes after she finished speaking and returned to her private cabin, a steak dinner was served on the plane.

This has gotten to the point of embarrassment. If 75% of the Japs don't want untested beef, it ain't gonna happen.

The Phillipines just turned a boatload of beef around a few days ago. Wonder if it had been tested would it have been unloaded?

What the heck is it going to take before our government figures out their strategy isn't working?! :x Japan is holding all the cards, as a customer usually does. All they want is tested beef, and they've even offered to pay for it. Why is that such a stickler? Why is the US so adamant against testing? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sandhusker, They want to prove to the world that if they act like good little boys and girls and take in everyone else's beef, thereby setting a good example, every other country will follow. Only in their dreams!!!

Sandhusker said:
What the heck is it going to take before our government figures out their strategy isn't working?! :x Japan is holding all the cards, as a customer usually does. All they want is tested beef, and they've even offered to pay for it. Why is that such a stickler? Why is the US so adamant against testing? :mad: :mad: :mad:

With tongue planted firmly in cheek; They're standing on their "Sound Science" (i.e. Western Blot- 5 years late) and "Principle". Everyone admires an agency with "Principle, at any cost". When and if the AMI gives them the "go-ahead" will they adhere to the Jap demands.

feeder said:
Sandhusker, They want to prove to the world that if they act like good little boys and girls and take in everyone else's beef, thereby setting a good example, every other country will follow. Only in their dreams!!!

Right. In their dreams. The Japs said two years ago that they they did not want Canadian cattle in the mix with U.S. beef. And then again turn around and discuss trade talks with Canada. :???:

feeder said:

Thats their story. The problem is, history has shown that others will do what is in their best interest to do, regardless of what we do.

The Japanese government will not let beef into their country with lower standards than their own protocol...just as any country should do. USDA should be taking notes...I bet food is labeled in Japan too!!!! :eek: :shock: :???:

RobertMac said:
The Japanese government will not let beef into their country with lower standards than their own protocol...just as any country should do. USDA should be taking notes...I bet food is labeled in Japan too!!!! :eek: :shock: :???:

Not only is Japanese beef labeled. It can be traced to the farm "right at the beef cooler"!

Mike said:
This has gotten to the point of embarrassment. If 75% of the Japs don't want untested beef, it ain't gonna happen.

The Phillipines just turned a boatload of beef around a few days ago. Wonder if it had been tested would it have been unloaded?

Mike, the fact remains that they have established no protocol for tested imported beef. The Texas cow has further delayed the resumption of exports to Japan by approximately three months in my opinion. That is unfortunate but so goes the politicts of this situation.

I would not overly be concerned with the polls that you reference. Polls are virtually worthless. All the information I am getting from those on the front lines indicates that they will readily return to U.S. beef. Have a great day.

agman said:
Mike said:

Mike, the fact remains that they have established no protocol for tested imported beef. The Texas cow has further delayed the resumption of exports to Japan by approximately three months in my opinion. That is unfortunate but so goes the politicts of this situation.

I would not overly be concerned with the polls that you reference. Polls are virtually worthless. All the information I am getting from those on the front lines indicates that they will readily return to U.S. beef. Have a great day.

Polls are not virtually worthless. If they are, it would be logical to assume that would of been discovered years ago and marketers, politicians, etc... would not use them so much.

Agman, a person can peruse all the information you want, or you can simply look at what is being done in real life. In reality, they are dragging their feet in purple ribbon fashion and the consumers have no problem with that. The reason for that are easy to understand when you look at the history of BSE in that country.

agman said:
Mike said:

Your assurances are appreciated and well taken. But the last estimation I have read is to the tune of 5-7 billion lost in revenues associated with the Jap ban. The Canadian border will open eventually, and the price will be higher.
Question: Do you ever do things for a customer that you just do not want to do? But you do it because you feel he is paying your salary?

Well boys, lets do this..............take a meat case at Wally World, Kroger, etc and split the case with BSE tested SAFE BEEF and Not Tested for BSE! Let the buyer make the final decision! What is so bad about this? I beleive it is called Marketing Research!!! :roll: IF they buy both ends of the case maybe BSE testing is worthless,but if they are willing to pay, say ----.25cents a lb more for the tested BEEF then act and market product accordingly! :roll:

I suppose the US government shouldn't have threatened Japan if they didn't take their tainted beef. That wasn't a very good negotiating tactic.

CattleCo said:
Well boys, lets do this..............take a meat case at Wally World, Kroger, etc and split the case with BSE tested SAFE BEEF and Not Tested for BSE! Let the buyer make the final decision! What is so bad about this? I beleive it is called Marketing Research!!! :roll: IF they buy both ends of the case maybe BSE testing is worthless,but if they are willing to pay, say ----.25cents a lb more for the tested BEEF then act and market product accordingly! :roll:

Just curious; how long do you think the premium will exist if all beef is tested? Who will pay the cost - the consumer?

Mike said:
RobertMac said:

Not only is Japanese beef labeled. It can be traced to the farm "right at the beef cooler"!

The same is true in Europe. Do you know how many consumer requests and or responses they have recieved before and after the labeling?

agman said:
Mike said:
RobertMac said:

The same is true in Europe. Do you know how many consumer requests and or responses they have recieved before and after the labeling?

Can't see that it makes a difference. Try and remove the availability and see what happens though.

Agman, "Just curious; how long do you think the premium will exist if all beef is tested? Who will pay the cost - the consumer?"

We're supposedly losing $175/head and the sticking point is how a $20 testing cost going to be allocated?

Mike said:
agman said:
Mike said:

Your assurances are appreciated and well taken. But the last estimation I have read is to the tune of 5-7 billion lost in revenues associated with the Jap ban. The Canadian border will open eventually, and the price will be higher.
Question: Do you ever do things for a customer that you just do not want to do? But you do it because you feel he is paying your salary?

You don't know me very well Mike. I will not submit to a customer who makes an unreasonable request. You missed the critical point-they have no protocol in place. Why is that the case if they are willing to accept tested beef tommorow as is implied by some posts on this forum?

Latest posts