• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan says NO for Umpteenth Time!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Agman, "You don't know me very well Mike. I will not submit to a customer who makes an unreasonable request. You missed the critical point-they have no protocol in place. Why is that the case if they are willing to accept tested beef tommorow as is implied by some posts on this forum?"

You are correct they have no protocol. The reason for this is that no country has ever agreed to their demands and called them on it.

agman said:
CattleCo said:
Well boys, lets do this..............take a meat case at Wally World, Kroger, etc and split the case with BSE tested SAFE BEEF and Not Tested for BSE! Let the buyer make the final decision! What is so bad about this? I beleive it is called Marketing Research!!! :roll: IF they buy both ends of the case maybe BSE testing is worthless,but if they are willing to pay, say ----.25cents a lb more for the tested BEEF then act and market product accordingly! :roll:

Just curious; how long do you think the premium will exist if all beef is tested? Who will pay the cost - the consumer?

The premium would be increased demand and you know the consumer pays all cost..."all dollars come from the consumer"...where have I heard that before??? :)

Agman: "You missed the critical point-they have no protocol in place."

They have the protocol they use to process their own beef.
We don't even let in beef that isn't processed with "equivalent" USDA protocol.

Robertmac, I have to disagree with you on what the US allows in. It isn't always under the same protocols as the US. We are allowing beef in from countries that use banned antibiotics here., produce from Mexico that uses chemicals we have banned here, dishware that is bought at Walmart that we don't know what the lead content in it is. The standards are slipping.

RobertMac said:
agman said:
CattleCo said:
Well boys, lets do this..............take a meat case at Wally World, Kroger, etc and split the case with BSE tested SAFE BEEF and Not Tested for BSE! Let the buyer make the final decision! What is so bad about this? I beleive it is called Marketing Research!!! :roll: IF they buy both ends of the case maybe BSE testing is worthless,but if they are willing to pay, say ----.25cents a lb more for the tested BEEF then act and market product accordingly! :roll:

Just curious; how long do you think the premium will exist if all beef is tested? Who will pay the cost - the consumer?

The premium would be increased demand and you know the consumer pays all cost..."all dollars come from the consumer"...where have I heard that before??? :)

What premium RM? How many consumers get priced out of the marketplace at the higher price? If the consumer does not support the higher price then who pays - you do. You are right and you heard it here first right here from me "every dollar comes from the consumer". When they spend less you get less. It works both ways. Have a good one.

feeder said:
Robertmac, I have to disagree with you on what the US allows in. It isn't always under the same protocols as the US. We are allowing beef in from countries that use banned antibiotics here., produce from Mexico that uses chemicals we have banned here, dishware that is bought at Walmart that we don't know what the lead content in it is. The standards are slipping.

Feeder, I agree...that's the reason for the quotes around "equivalent".

agman said:
What premium RM? How many consumers get priced out of the marketplace at the higher price? If the consumer does not support the higher price then who pays - you do. You are right and you heard it here first right here from me "every dollar comes from the consumer". When they spend less you get less. It works both ways. Have a good one.

What is the growing segment of the food industry? Organic...and the consumer is paying more $$$$$$.
:)

RobertMac said:
agman said:

What is the growing segment of the food industry? Organic...and the consumer is paying more $$$$$$.

Some will pay more while it is differentiated. What if everyone produced organic? Would demand be the same at the higher price; I think not.

agman said:
RobertMac said:
agman said:

Some will pay more while it is differentiated. What if everyone produced organic? Would demand be the same at the higher price; I think not.

In Japan, they are already paying for 100% testing, either at the counter or via taxes. I haven't read anywhere that the costs were causing any problems.

agman said:
RobertMac said:
agman said:

RM: "The premium would be increased demand..."

Agman, there are consumers that are buying organic beef that would otherwise not be buying beef...that is increasing demand through increased usage and at a higher price(I thought you said that was the best of both worlds). Why are they buying organic? Because that is what they want...if you want to sell to THAT consumer, you give them what they want, if there is a profit. If a customer wants tested beef, sell them tested beef, if there is a profit....otherwise THAT customer won't be buying beef.

Sandhusker; Maybe you should brush up on the Japanese market- Their government has never agreed to accept any "BSE tested beef" from the US or Canada. There have been cases of Japanese importers expressing interest but nothing will move until their govt. completes their North American risk analysis. Their testing programs (as in European countties with active BSE) were motivated to cover up their negligence in dealing with the disease before it hit them with multiple simultaneous cases in a relatively small national herd and in no way deals with food safety!
As for testing everything the Japanese Health Ministry has rebelled at the cost of unnessessary testing and have removed under 21 month cattle from mandatory testing!

RobertMac said:
agman said:
RobertMac said:

RM: "The premium would be increased demand..."

Agman, there are consumers that are buying organic beef that would otherwise not be buying beef...that is increasing demand through increased usage and at a higher price(I thought you said that was the best of both worlds). Why are they buying organic? Because that is what they want...if you want to sell to THAT consumer, you give them what they want, if there is a profit. If a customer wants tested beef, sell them tested beef, if there is a profit....otherwise THAT customer won't be buying beef.

There is a difference between differentiated product and product that would all be organic. That is my point. We likely agree , just have a different way of stating a position.

agman said:
There is a difference between differentiated product and product that would all be organic. That is my point. We likely agree , just have a different way of stating a position.

I understand that point, but here is the reality...ALL beef will never be all "ORGANIC" or "GRASSFED" OR "KOSHER", so that is a moot point. My point is that DIFFERENTIATION creates the premium by expanding our market base(bringing in consumers that otherwise wouldn't be buying beef...for what ever reason). Address that reason and bring them 'under the tent'...when profitable. I hate using this term(and you know why), but we should "celebrate our diversity". :wink:

Latest posts