• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan won't take tested beef?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
Posted by Randy Kaiser earlier and brought to my attention by a friend;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As you know, established industry groups have steadfastly asserted that no export markets have ever stated that they would buy tested beef products from Canada and, as such, there was no requirement for Canada to adopt a policy of BSE testing at the slaughter level as a means of satisfying export demand. Some of you may recall hearing this line from government and industry representatives who attended many of the Beef Initiative Group meetings held throughout the summer and fall of 2004.

As we have always suspected, this assertion has proven to be false. As members of the Canada Beef Export Federation, we recently received a letter from Ted Haney, CBEF President which states:

"Japan's former Minister of Agriculture (Kamei) has been on record many times stating that Canada or the USA could test cattle for BSE as a way of reestablishing trade with Japan. This assumed policy position has not been widely reported in either Canadian or American press, primarily as the option has not been supported by industry or government."

This statement suggests that both government and industry leadership have had knowledge of the export potential for tested Canadian beef but have chosen to mislead Canadian producers by insisting that such markets did not exist. The reason for this is, I believe, directly related to pressure brought to bear on industry groups from existing packer operations who see BSE testing as a cost-prohibitive burden.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Agman, you want to run this past your esteemed contacts?

SH, I suppose you will need a personal call from Kamei to verify?

Assuming this statement is not just "hearsay", why would the Japanese trade representatives now acknowledge that BSE testing on cattle less than 24 months of age is invalid if BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months of age was still an option?

Poor little ankle biter! Still packing in "fool's gold".

Once again, the obvious becomes too obvious.

Looks like there's still a skunk in the woodpile ankle biter!.

"SIC 'EM Ankle Biter, Get that skunk!"

(Sips beer as Ankle Biter gets hosed down by another skunk in the woodpile)

~SH~

Sandhusker said:
Posted by Randy Kaiser earlier and brought to my attention by a friend;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As you know, established industry groups have steadfastly asserted that no export markets have ever stated that they would buy tested beef products from Canada and, as such, there was no requirement for Canada to adopt a policy of BSE testing at the slaughter level as a means of satisfying export demand. Some of you may recall hearing this line from government and industry representatives who attended many of the Beef Initiative Group meetings held throughout the summer and fall of 2004.

As we have always suspected, this assertion has proven to be false. As members of the Canada Beef Export Federation, we recently received a letter from Ted Haney, CBEF President which states:

"Japan's former Minister of Agriculture (Kamei) has been on record many times stating that Canada or the USA could test cattle for BSE as a way of reestablishing trade with Japan. This assumed policy position has not been widely reported in either Canadian or American press, primarily as the option has not been supported by industry or government."

This statement suggests that both government and industry leadership have had knowledge of the export potential for tested Canadian beef but have chosen to mislead Canadian producers by insisting that such markets did not exist. The reason for this is, I believe, directly related to pressure brought to bear on industry groups from existing packer operations who see BSE testing as a cost-prohibitive burden.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Agman, you want to run this past your esteemed contacts?

SH, I suppose you will need a personal call from Kamei to verify?

Unfortunately you have no contacts of relevance so you post an article you read. I they are willing to accept tested beef why have they not established a protocol to see if we can comply. Talk is cheap, action is a little bit harder to confirm. Go play in your sandbox again.

~SH~ said:
Assuming this statement is not just "hearsay", why would the Japanese trade representatives now acknowledge that BSE testing on cattle less than 24 months of age is invalid if BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months of age was still an option?

Poor little ankle biter! Still packing in "fool's gold".

Once again, the obvious becomes too obvious.

Looks like there's still a skunk in the woodpile ankle biter!.

"SIC 'EM Ankle Biter, Get that skunk!"

(Sips beer as Ankle Biter gets hosed down by another skunk in the woodpile)

~SH~

You wanted me to show you something that alluded to Japan taking tested beef and I did it.

Yip SH and Agman, The President of the Canadian export federation is less believable than either of you.

Give him a call and tell him that, I will give you his number if you like.

Once again SH, what's up with the UTM thing. Does the article mention age. Age has only come up since the USDA started shoving down Japan's throat. They test everything. Did Japan choose they age? Did America choose the age? Did undisputed science choose the age? Or did chosen science choose the age?

Sandman: "You wanted me to show you something that alluded to Japan taking tested beef and I did it."

Wrong ankle biter, I wanted you to show me something that "PROVED" that Japan was taking tested beef, not "ALLUDED TO".

How Clintonian of you!

You didn't even have a date when this was "supposedly" stated. Perhaps early negotiations?

Randy,

Why do you dispute what is so obvious?

IF SHIPPING BSE TESTED BEEF TO JAPAN WAS AN OPTION, THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE PROPOSED THAT OPTION????

Have they?

NO, THEY HAVE NOT!

What have they done instead?

They have agreed that BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months is invalid.

Go take your argument up with them.

~SH~

Agman, "Talk is cheap, action is a little bit harder to confirm."

Yep, I'll have to agree with you there, Agman. What has Japan been doing with the USDA this past year and a half? Have they been talking or acting? :wink: Maybe they would act if they heard talk that made sense. :D

I'm off to my sandbox now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread should be in the

"SH up a Tree" thread.

The President of the "Canadian Beef Export Federation" doesn't know what he's talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Careful Randy, He might be one of agman's contacts. :wink:

Can you get the text a little louder SH -
IF SHIPPING BSE TESTED BEEF TO JAPAN WAS AN OPTION, THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE PROPOSED THAT OPTION????

Is this not loud enough.

Canada and the USA are not shipping BSE tested beef to Japan because the beef industry, led by the mutinational packers, and the government (elected egotists taking direction from beef industry and led by those very packers) have decided that it is cost prohibitive.

Nothing to do with science, only money.

I don't agree with the Japanese policy of testing SH, in fact I think testing is a waste of time and money, but, if this testing presents an opportunity for adding value to the product the cattlemen of our countries produce, I say play the game. Packers will get it back from the producers anyway being the price takers we are, but moving product off this continent is crucial for the industry to survive.

Don't worry SH, your packers will not go broke by testing, it is only an upset apple cart that they don't really want or need.

Up a tree Mike?

Come on!

When you can produce proof that the Japanese government has extended an OFFER to the United States to import tested beef, then you will have something.

Until then, "FOOLS GOLD"!

~SH~

Wow, I never thought I would agree with you Sandhusker. I think the CFIA and the damn Liberal government is screwing us. I don't really give a damn if testing provides a safeguard against eating BSE infected beef or not, give the customer what he wants. Blanket testing of all slaughter animals would just give both our nations another barganing chip to resume beef trade. Will it automatically open trade with Japan, who knows ( I think it will, but thats just heresay), but it won't hurt our position.
The funny thing is that if you hit coffee row in any small town every producer knows what we need to do to get things done. Test all the damn beef if that is what customers want, stop using growth hormones (although it is unnecessary and an artifical trade barrier in Europe) if that is what customers want. Damn burecrats are the ones that cost our industry $7 billion, if someone with some balls and brains were running CFIA, Ag Canada, and the CCA, we would have been out of this mess a long time ago.
________
Suzuki Twin specifications

SH, "IF SHIPPING BSE TESTED BEEF TO JAPAN WAS AN OPTION, THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE PROPOSED THAT OPTION???? "

Do you honestly believe they haven't proposed that option? Would you interprit the following statement; "Japan's former Minister of Agriculture (Kamei) has been on record many times stating that Canada or the USA could test cattle for BSE as a way of reestablishing trade with Japan."

adventureman said:
Wow, I never thought I would agree with you Sandhusker. I think the CFIA and the damn Liberal government is screwing us. I don't really give a damn if testing provides a safeguard against eating BSE infected beef or not, give the customer what he wants. Blanket testing of all slaughter animals would just give both our nations another barganing chip to resume beef trade. Will it automatically open trade with Japan, who knows ( I think it will, but thats just heresay), but it won't hurt our position.
The funny thing is that if you hit coffee row in any small town every producer knows what we need to do to get things done. Test all the damn beef if that is what customers want, stop using growth hormones (although it is unnecessary and an artifical trade barrier in Europe) if that is what customers want. Damn burecrats are the ones that cost our industry $7 billion, if someone with some balls and brains were running CFIA, Ag Canada, and the CCA, we would have been out of this mess a long time ago.

Yep, adventureman, most people can see thru the thin veil of smoke being put up. Others don't want to.

I don't agree with the Japanese policy of testing SH, in fact I think testing is a waste of time and money, but, if this testing presents an opportunity for adding value to the product the cattlemen of our countries produce, I say play the game. Packers will get it back from the producers anyway being the price takers we are, but moving product off this continent is crucial for the industry to survive.

My sentiments exactly Randy. Except more testing will find more animals -if they are there, ridding us of the "Economic Plague" sooner. And preventing a media circus much bigger than the last one in Texas.

Sandman,

If BSE tested beef was STILL an option, the Japanese government would not have conceded that BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months of age does no good.

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF THAT SHIPPING BSE TESTED BEEF TO JAPAN IS AN OPTION TODAY?

You have none, as always!

SPECULATION, THEORY, AND OPINION.

Same-O you!

~SH~

rkaiser said:
Yip SH and Agman, The President of the Canadian export federation is less believable than either of you.

Once again SH, what's up with the UTM thing. Does the article mention age. Age has only come up since the USDA started shoving down Japan's throat. They test everything. Did Japan choose they age? Did America choose the age? Did undisputed science choose the age? Or did chosen science choose the age?

Since you are there you ask him if they have provided either the U.S. or Canad with a protocol to export tested beef. Would you care to bet on the answer? I am certain Sandhusker would finance your bet!

Working on it as you speak Agman. Could use a good consultant to work with us who doesn't have a bias for the American Mutinational agenda. Know of any?

One of the options we are dealing with is a lease agreement with an Asian company and producer ownership of the facility. BSE testing for export marketing purposes will be reality soon, but someone other than your buddies will obviously have to lead the way.

agman said:
rkaiser said:

Since you are there you ask him if they have provided either the U.S. or Canad with a protocol to export tested beef. Would you care to bet on the answer? I am certain Sandhusker would finance your bet!

You sure are clinging to that protocol thing aren't you, Agman. You ought to know that protocols are generally created when the need arises. Since Japan's offer to accept tested beef has fallen on deaf ears (and hard heads), no need has arisen. Thus, no protocol.

Based on the US's stance on testing, why would Japan come up with a protocol for accepting tested beef from us? If you wanted to sell me your car and I said "sure, but paint it red first", to which you declined, would you still present a purchase agreement?

The absence of a protocol is only a small hurdle for agreeing entities. Don't have one, sure doesn't take much to make one if the need is there. Existing protocols can also be changed. We had a protocol of not accepting beef from BSE positive countries. It sure got changed in a hurry.......

Gets kind of hard defending the USDA sometimes, doesn't it? :lol:

Well, back to my sandbox. Hey, isn't it about Kool-Aid time? :p

Latest posts