• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin said:
It is starting to look as though the Japan boarder will open up some time within the next year. Any thoughts?
http://cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=11961
I attended the Cattleman's Boot Camp this past Thur. and Fri. in Ft. Collins. Jim Shirley and Dr. Tom Field, Dr. Daryl Tatum and Dr. John Scanga, and Tom Brink of Five Rivers Ranch Cattle Feeding all seemed very optimistic about Japan, particularly if Source Verification continues on track. (Which it WILL). Better be prepared for it. And Korea looks positive, also unless someone sneezes too loudly, or the papers on the table are a little skewed, or - or - or "this particular word" might mean something that they can't, or couldn't, or wouldn't, or maybe, maybe don't quite, uh - -whatever! Korea is - - - well - - -uh - -just - -- - -Korea! That says it all! Anyway, if we would journey out in space, turn around and look back at the world in a very OBJECTIVE manner and be open MINDED - - In My Opinion - the borders will open, World consumption of American Beef will increase, everyone will be ecstatic and optimistic - - until some other stupid episode will allow the chicken-littles to scream and moan and then - here we go again - and the Liberals will blather, "See - see - we tol' ju - we tol' ju!" It never ends! :mad: But high quality beef will ALWAYS sell, so NOW is the time to INCREASE and IMPROVE your breeding Cow herds! Also think NOW what you are going to plant to Corn next spring, and increase it if you can.

DOC HARRIS

Red Robin,
I think it is going to go, just got to get the politics out of the way and we got an email today saying that they think it will be announced when GW is over there. We (Montana Branded Beef) had a delegation of Japanese over this summer so that they could see first hand that we can verify origin and age, they thought we were still fighting Indians, but they got to see that we have computers, track our cattle from birth to processing, and we can verify anything they want. They were impressed, and they got to go home with custom made cowboy hats. :lol:

How much affect will it have on the already bold market? Could it be we have seen the lowest priced cattle of this decade? There are always lots of negative thinkers , which I am chief, but it sure seems to be lots of sound logic driving the prices of cattle to record territory. A new paradigm in the beef industry perhaps?

If you look at all of the markets, beef production and everything else, the Japanese market will probably have a small effect on our current prices, but it is a psychological thing that affects the futures, which can at times be very determined by psychology. If all of the ranchers, traders and speculators would stay tuned into reality, the carcass weights of processed cattle has more to do with everything than any other factor. For instance, if carcass weights go up 10 pounds and we are processing 650,000 a week, supply is increased by 6.5 million pounds. That means we either have to export or eat that much more in one week to maintain the current price. Look at what that "great wall of cattle from Canada did to us", absolutely nothing, but our own carcass weights are up since then, adding more to supply than the Canadian cattle. I better shut up or Haymaker will start calling me a packer lackey

I don't pay close enough attention to detail but I remember reading the percentage of price increase due to value added cuts of beef. It was in the teens I think. That is a hard increase in the value of our product that shouldn't go down. I do agree with your assesment of the heavier carcass weights on the market. It is part of supply and demand, however a small increase in demand can sometimes have a very positive effect on a currently bullish market. I think for the next couple of years the market could/should stay good overall. I certainly hope so.

You are right about the value added, for example, the flat iron steak, which the checkoff should be given credit for as the research that went into cutting the chuck like that came from checkoff dollars and is being promoted by the checkoff. When you take something that was going into hamburger say for $1.79 per pound and turn it into something like the flat iron for $2.59 a pound and it is a steak that is tender and more people buy it, is that not a good investment?

sw said:
You are right about the value added, for example, the flat iron steak, which the checkoff should be given credit for as the research that went into cutting the chuck like that came from checkoff dollars and is being promoted by the checkoff. When you take something that was going into hamburger say for $1.79 per pound and turn it into something like the flat iron for $2.59 a pound and it is a steak that is tender and more people buy it, is that not a good investment?
sw - You just presented a "Prime" example (if you will pardon the pun!) with the Flat Iron Steak. One of the examples at the 'Boot Camp" (which, BTW, was exceptionaly instructional! They are planning others at other venues.) was the size of feeders getting too large - almost dragging on the floor from the rail! In one house that they mentioned the entire rail broke loose and fell to the floor! If, for NO other reason, THAT is reason enough to keep our mama cows from getting bigger and bigger and bigger! 1100# - 1350# is big enough. Large feeder calves have to have more surface fat trying for more marbling, then take a discount for too much fat! It is getting to be a Catch 22 problem. Moderation, Folks. Moderation.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
the chicken-littles to scream and moan and then -

DOC HARRIS

Far be it from me to question your command of the English language, Doc, or let me with even less certainty broach the matter of your spelling capabilities, and let me positively quiver with fear at the thought of calling attention to the veracity of your statements, and that in a less than respectable light, but could you, perhaps, in the above quoted statement have meant to use the phrase "chicken litter"? :!: :wink:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Maple Leaf Angus said:
DOC HARRIS said:

DOC HARRIS

Far be it from me to question your command of the English language, Doc, or let me with even less certainty broach the matter of your spelling capabilities, and let me positively quiver with fear at the thought of calling attention to the veracity of your statements, and that in a less than respectable light, but could you, perhaps, in the above quoted statement have meant to use the phrase "chicken litter"? :!: :wink: Absolutely not! I said "Chicken Little" and I indubitably and irrevocably meant "Chicken Little!" Chicken Little was, Undoubtedly, the Flaming, Radical Left Wing Liberal Idiot who, in the Fairy Tale of your youth, cried, "The Sky is falling! The sky is falling!" That is who I was alluding to! However, on second and third thought the subliminal inferrence in my tome to Chicken, uh, m-m-mm uh- - litter may very well be a Freudian slip!!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
DOC HARRIS said:

DOC HARRIS

Far be it from me to question your command of the English language, Doc, or let me with even less certainty broach the matter of your spelling capabilities, and let me positively quiver with fear at the thought of calling attention to the veracity of your statements, and that in a less than respectable light, but could you, perhaps, in the above quoted statement have meant to use the phrase "chicken litter"? :!: :wink: Absolutely not! I said "Chicken Little" and I indubitably and irrevocably meant "Chicken Little!" Chicken Little was, Undoubtedly, the Flaming, Radical Left Wing Liberal Idiot who, in the Fairy Tale of your youth, cried, "The Sky is falling! The sky is falling!" That is who I was alluding to! However, on second and third thought the subliminal inferrence in my tome to Chicken, uh, m-m-mm uh- - litter may very well be a Freudian slip!!

DOC HARRIS

Doc Harris, do we not hope against all hope that the Import of this Disturbing Insight is not lost on those who could Benefit from it the Most? Alas, if they Fail to Comprehend the Imminent Implications! :cry:

Maple Leaf Angus said:
DOC HARRIS said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:

DOC HARRIS

Doc Harris, do we not hope against all hope that the Import of this Disturbing Insight is not lost on those who could Benefit from it the Most? Alas, if they Fail to Comprehend the Imminent Implications! :cry:
Maple leaf - -as a former teacher of several disciplines the underlying fear or apprehension that your subjects would not perceive your intentions, purposes, or motives has perpetually permeated my thoughts and plans in organizing a presentation which would be understood and accepted. A teacher has to open every door in a students mind to see which 'room' is ready to be filled with information. And what works with one person won't work with another. Repetition is the 'key' to learning and acceptance. Consequently I persist in making my 'talking points' as compelling as possible - giving variety to whomever the audience may happen to be. I attempt to be prudent - as the Bible states, - "- - do not throw your pearls to pigs."

Every business has a diverse group of participants, and the Beef BUSINESS is no exception. But, because most are self-employed entrepreneurs and are willing to assume risks for their own well-being and profit they tend to be, understandably, skeptical and not easily persuaded or convinced, which makes a teacher's efforts more challenging. When a person thinks that a new concept is their OWN idea - then it is more easily acceptable.

I said all that to say this: LEARN AND UNDERSTAND EPD's and how to USE them!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:

Maple leaf - -as a former teacher of several disciplines the underlying fear or apprehension that your subjects would not perceive your intentions, purposes, or motives has perpetually permeated my thoughts and plans in organizing a presentation which would be understood and accepted. A teacher has to open every door in a students mind to see which 'room' is ready to be filled with information. And what works with one person won't work with another. Repetition is the 'key' to learning and acceptance. Consequently I persist in making my 'talking points' as compelling as possible - giving variety to whomever the audience may happen to be. I attempt to be prudent - as the Bible states, - "- - do not throw your pearls to pigs."

Every business has a diverse group of participants, and the Beef BUSINESS is no exception. But, because most are self-employed entrepreneurs and are willing to assume risks for their own well-being and profit they tend to be, understandably, skeptical and not easily persuaded or convinced, which makes a teacher's efforts more challenging. When a person thinks that a new concept is their OWN idea - then it is more easily acceptable.

I said all that to say this: LEARN AND UNDERSTAND EPD's and how to USE them!

DOC HARRIS

O.K.

Latest posts