• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 6150 series "R", "M", "D" p

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Amo

Reaction score
Kinda the same as my other thread.....anybody on here have much first hand experience with any of these models?

Friend is looking to upgrade/trade. He doesn't like being a guinea pig, so leaning towards finding a lower houred 77/7810 like what he already has. Its sitting around 10K for hours. Some as much as 12K for hours.

Anybody have any experience or own one of these newer Deere's? The good, the bad, the ugly! :lol:

I have a 7800 with 12,000 hours...would not get rid of it at all....

I have a 7700 at about 11000 hrs as well. Great tractor, wouldn't mind turning into a 7800. I hear that's not that difficult. Only thing I don't care for is the powershift. It's not nearly the tractor the 8670 NH is though.

Now thats an interesting comment Silver. He asked me somewhat about different brands, and not much to compare to. Other than this 7710, they have a 4430, several 30 & 4020's and 3- 4 & 560's

Like he said when the other tractors your use to are 20+ years older than what your looking at, there is so much change its hard to compare apples to apples. Kinda like comparing the Model T to the first Mustang. :D

D series is cheap M middle of the road and R top of line. Friend of mine just bought a 6125R, he said it's a very nice tractor and comfortable to operate. Has a 24spd auto quad

I bought a 6170 R last year was delivered the first part of June. We used it on the baler and to haul hay. Handy unit as far as I am concerned shorter wheel base makes it handle nice but also big enough to handle two big round bales. I set it up with a power quad and a left hand rev. finger tip hyd. controls and a couple other options but didn't go crazy with them.
I had looked at getting a 6150 R's that had 300+- hours but for the price difference went to the bigger frame and heavier front end. FWIW
Best of luck interest is reasonable and calf prices are good for now. Make the extra payment and get something that should be with you for lots of years.

I would look for a tractor with ivt transmission. I know they cost a fair amount more but you will never regret spending the little extra.

3 M L & C said:
I would look for a tractor with ivt transmission. I know they cost a fair amount more but you will never regret spending the little extra.
until u replace one. 20k or better to replace one.

4Diamond said:
3 M L & C said:

What isn't expensive to replace?

3 M L & C said:
4Diamond said:
3 M L & C said:

What isn't expensive to replace?
everything. I should rephrase what I said, you can't work on an ivt it has to be replaced or that was the last word from Deere.

my neighbor has a 7920 IVT with the electric joystick... I ran it for a few weeks helping him.... I fell in love with that machine. NOW he has loader troubles. can not replace the broken part, needs a whole joystick...$3000 part PLUS labor. he also had tranny troubles...huge amount of cash spent on it...I decided I may upgrade to the 7710 with left hand reverser, but that was it!

Jigs is a REAL helpful fella. The word is that the tractor had all kinds of mechanical problems after you ran it for a few weeks. Bet you don't feel a bit guilty or offer to help pay for what you tore up. Some neighbor you are. :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
I ran a loaner with the IVT. :?
Maybe I didn't run it long enough to get to like it but I prefer my Power Quad with reverser. :D
They do take a little bit to get used to but they are very nice once you figure it out. Our big tractors you can only get with ivt otherwise probably wouldn't have ever spent the money. Every tractor I ever buy from now on will have ivt. The biggest part to get used to is putting the throttle all the way forward and leaving it.

loomixguy said:
Jigs is a REAL helpful fella. The word is that the tractor had all kinds of mechanical problems after you ran it for a few weeks. Bet you don't feel a bit guilty or offer to help pay for what you tore up. Some neighbor you are. :wink:

can I borrow your truck ???

We just got a 6170R and I love it. It came with everything electrical so I am nervous about that. It has an IVT that I absolutely love. Took some getting used to but now love it way more than the power quad. I was told by several mechanics that now the IVT has been around long enough that most problems for them have been fixed but like the early 20 series tractors which had the first IVT they did have quite a few troubles. Personally I wouldn't buy an older Deere with the IVT.

They other thing we got on the new tractor is the triple link suspension and we love it. Wouldn't buy another tractor without it.

All of these things are great when they work but what worries us is when they don't. OH well you just move forward and hope for the best.

We added a JD 6190R with a loader about three months ago. No IVT on it but the Direct Drive transmission it's got works very well.
http://newforestfarm.com/2012/01/24/the-all-new-john-deere-directdrive-transmission/

Seems like an extremely user friendly tractor, rides nice, comfortable, joy stick and loader are easy to use. It doesn't use DEF, but that's undoubtedly in the works.

Comparatively, a NH T7.260 we have with a couple years "experience" on it isn't so wonderful. The loader and tractor are built strong, but the loader is more awkward to use, and the joy stick is touchy. The pushbutton electronic 18 speed transmission isn't as well suited to loader work, seat and arm rest position aren't as comfortable, radio sucks. This tractor requires DEF, and runs at reduced power on cold days until it thaws out, which wasn't supposed to happen, and a fix hasn't been found.

We got rid of a JD 7730 with IVT. Had injector issues, and internal problems with the PTO. I'd advise to stay away from one of those.

Dad has a 7730 with power quad i think they call it. Although it has 5 ranges. When it was brand new we had big snow storm dad was moving snow and said hydro filters were plugged so changed them. Like 30 minutes later same thing. Turned out the messed up when putting bearings in on axle and bearing was spinning inside filled filters with metal filing. Had like 6 hours on it when it was in shop with the entire back end tore apart. Dad was none to happy as it was messed up from factory. He tried to just get a different tractor but they wanted like 25 k to do that. He had just ordered a pair of 8430's and told them they could put those where the sun don't shine. So anyway they ended up tripling the warenty on that 7730 to keep him happy. I think that tractor is 7-8 years old and the only other thing we have done is change alternator on it. So worked out pretty good. I told dad when he first got it and had problems that it must have been built on Friday and everyone had a kegger to go to. :wink: :lol:

Traveler said:
Comparatively, a NH T7.260 we have with a couple years "experience" on it isn't so wonderful. The loader and tractor are built strong, but the loader is more awkward to use, and the joy stick is touchy. The pushbutton electronic 18 speed transmission isn't as well suited to loader work, seat and arm rest position aren't as comfortable, radio sucks. This tractor requires DEF, and runs at reduced power on cold days until it thaws out, which wasn't supposed to happen, and a fix hasn't been found.

We have a T7.210. We had it reprogrammed so the cold weather doesn't affect it, it will go 8 hours without DEF before it de-rates. I wasn't too happy with how sensitive the loader was until I turned down the ride control on the loader. Still rides okay, but the loader is much more user friendly. Mind you, I have operated a lot of heavy equipment in the oilpatch and most of it now has controls very similar in feel to this loader.
Ours is the Power Command transmission which I think is good for loader work as it remembers which gear you were in last time you were in reverse. And it's at least half as loud in the cab of the new JD's I've been in.
Time will tell if it is a good tractor, tell you better in ten years :wink:

Latest posts