• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jiggs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP)
The fans who criticized Taylor Martinez all week and booed him before halftime were cheering wildly for him by the end of the biggest comeback in Nebraska history.

Martinez ran for a touchdown and passed for two others while bringing No. 14 Nebraska back from a 21-point second-half deficit, and the Cornhuskers defeated Ohio State 34-27 Saturday night in the first Big Ten game at Memorial Stadium.

Rex Burkhead scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 17-yard run with 5:10 left.

''Everyone wants to doubt him. Whatever,'' coach Bo Pelini said of his sophomore quarterback. ''You guys can choose to write whatever you want and attack him like the fans will, and now they'll praise him.''

Ohio State (3-3, 0-2 Big Ten) built a 27-6 lead behind freshman quarterback Braxton Miller, who sprained his right ankle in the third quarter and did not return. The Buckeyes' offense went dormant with backup Joe Bauserman.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011
•Week 6: Full scoreboard
•Pages: FX GOTW | TTT | Pereira
•OU cruises past Texas
•Gallery: Crazy CFB uniforms
•Gallery: CFB remembers 9/11
•Video: Highlights and interviews
•Latest updates: CFN | Scout | YB

Miller ran for 91 yards and went 5 of 8 passing for 95 yards before he got hurt. Bauserman completed only one of his 10 passes the rest of the way.

Huskers star linebacker Lavonte David stripped the ball from Miller in the middle of third quarter to start the rally.

''That was a game-changing play,'' Pelini said. ''That was a huge play in the football game. He's been doing it since he got here. He's a heck of a football player.''

Then Martinez took over. He ran 18 yards for a touchdown, threw a 36-yard TD pass to Quincy Enunwa and tied it with a 30-yard catch-and-run to Burkhead after Stanley Jean-Baptiste intercepted Bauserman in his first game at cornerback after moving from receiver.

Martinez ran for 102 yards and was 16 of 22 passing for 191 yards for Nebraska (5-1, 1-1). Burkhead ran 26 times for 119 yards.

Carlos Hyde led the Buckeyes with 104 yards rushing.

The biggest deficit Nebraska had overcome previously was 17 points, most recently against Texas A&M in 2002.

Martinez's performance was timely.

He lashed out Monday at fans and media who ripped him for throwing three interceptions in last week's 48-17 loss at Wisconsin, and teammates lined up to defend him.

When he threw an interception late in the second quarter, boos cut through the rain at Memorial Stadium.

''He kept fighting,'' Pelini said. ''He led the team, and I was proud of how we played. That's why he's the starting quarterback right now.''

After time ran out, Martinez flipped the ball to the referee and fullback Tyler Legate embraced Martinez and then picked him up and carried him around.

''He was having fun, that's for sure,'' center Mike Caputo said. ''Taylor was smiling and confident. He kept coming up to the offensive line and saying we're going to win this game when we were down a couple touchdowns. His confidence was really high.''

Martinez said he didn't care about the criticism he received during the week and that he didn't know if Saturday's game was his best performance as a collegian.

''If you say so,'' he said. ''You'll write what you want.''

Highlights: Ohio St - (14) Nebraska Watch highlights of Nebraska's 34-27 win over Ohio State.
Date 13 hrs ago, Duration 1:27, Views 509
Video by: FOX Sports NCAA FB News | FOXSports.com on MSN Watch latest sports news and highlights More FOXSports.com video

For Ohio State, the loss marked a painful end to yet another painful week. On Friday, the NCAA suspended wide receiver DeVier Posey for five more games and three other Buckeyes for one game for taking too much money for a summer job.

Offensive lineman Marcus Hall, defensive lineman Melvin Fellows and last year's leading rusher, Daniel Herron, also missed Saturday's game. They also must repay benefits after receiving pay for summer work not performed for a booster.

''We've got to get a few stops on defense,'' Ohio State coach Luke Fickell said. ''That's what it comes down to. We've just got to do a better job. I'm sure there are lessons out there. We've got to figure out what they are and grow from them. That's part of football, part of life.''

An upset looked to be brewing in the first half, and the Buckeyes' momentum continued to roll when Hyde scored from a yard out to give Ohio State a 27-6 lead early in the third quarter.

David, who made 13 tackles, changed the game with his biggest play of the night. As Miller fought for yards up the middle, he stuck his arms in and pulled the ball away from the quarterback.

Martinez scored two plays later, going untouched up the middle on a zone read to pull the Huskers to 27-13.

The Buckeyes did a good job containing Martinez in the first half, but the sophomore broke loose for 93 yards on the ground after halftime.

Martinez's passing and decision-making had been skewered after the loss at Wisconsin, but he threw a perfect strike to Enunwa to pull the Huskers within a touchdown. Martinez freelanced in the backfield before dumping off to Burkhead, who dodged a tackler and went 30 yards for the tying touchdown with 7:35 left.

''I had to get around that guy,'' Martinez said. ''I got the ball to Rex, and he did a great job juking that guy.''

C.J. Barnett was called for a facemask on Martinez during the Huskers' winning drive, and Burkhead ran for 22 yards before he broke free for the go-ahead score.

''That was crazy,'' Burkhead said. ''That was an unbelievable win all the way around and it feels good.''

The feeling was exactly the opposite in the Ohio State locker room.

''I've never been a part of anything like that,'' linebacker Andrew Sweat said. ''I don't know what the magical answer is. We just didn't get the job done. It's disheartening to give up that many points and give up a win when it was so close.''

the true class of the average Husker fan is showing load and clear... even an idiot like Bo sees it....bandwagon fans.

they all hate Taylor for a loss...then praise him for a come from behind victory..... seen it for many years. hell, they even fire 9 win coaches !

The Huskers should've never gotten behind to the poorest Ohio State team in memory anyway.

I went to sleep sometime during the 3rd quarter just after the commentator mentioned that Ohio State's line was pushing the Huskers backward on every play, just like Wisconsin did, & Burkhead only had 12 rushes for 13 yards in the game so far.

The stadium was as quiet as a mouse.

I was shocked to see the Huskers had won this morning...............

Hope Martinez don't get hurt.

Their success is completely dependent on his. Look at last year, if he played good they were tough. If he was absent, so went the Huskers.

We'll see how they fair further down the road.

okfarmer said:
Their success is completely dependent on his. Look at last year, if he played good they were tough. If he was absent, so went the Huskers.

You can say that pretty much with any team in regards to the starting QB.

Sandhusker said:
okfarmer said:

You can say that pretty much with any team in regards to the starting QB.

Not really, many teams can have a run game to carry them when the QB is having an off day. And most real powerhouses depend more on their defenses than offense.

Not really, many teams can have a run game to carry them when the QB is having an off day. And most real powerhouses depend more on their defenses than offense.

That day has come and gone. Every team lives and dies by their starting QB now days, just ask an OSU fan. It pains me to say it, but there was no way Nebraska does that against Miller. Just what big time football has become, QB or nothing. One more reason to like High School football.

My point was to not argue that a QB is not important, and changing one like OSU did is totally different than one having a bad day. Changing personnel changes the cadence and rhythm the offense is use to functioning with. That is huge at the college level with the speed that is involved.

My point is that good teams aren't dependent on one person. I recall LSU having to make QB changes this year and they are ranked #1 in the AP. Is it because they have a stellar offense. Don't think so.

Don't recall the Heisman quarterback winners (as should be the best in the league) winning the national championship on a consistent basis.

Martinez is most of Nebraska's offense and he is not consistent and the defense is not as tough this year as they have been. That is my argument.

Being that I am a fan of a Big 12 team, I was hopping that Nebraska would make a better showing in the Big 10 this year. I'm a little disappointed.

Doug Thorson said:

That day has come and gone. Every team lives and dies by their starting QB now days, just ask an OSU fan. It pains me to say it, but there was no way Nebraska does that against Miller. Just what big time football has become, QB or nothing. One more reason to like High School football.

nothing compares to High School football. pride, rivalries, and tradition. things the NCAA is leaving behind in the rush to be just a "farm team" system for the NFL

Latest posts