• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jigs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Was it you that said you were trying to rejuvination or restore some pasture back to Tall Grasses. If it was could you give us some insight how you are making this happen?
Also could you or anyone else give us some insight to the reasoning why and how all the burning in the Flint hills works?

being an Ambassador to Texas, do I need to refer to you as Your Honor???

our area for years has been over grazed. I want to re-establish a native blend of grass, but not set it aside for 4 years, so it will be slow going. I plan on doing a lot of understocking and rotating, combined with cross fencing and lots of stress and grief.

Bluestem really thrives here if given the chance, however, the buffalograss is so dominant due to over grazing and nobody ever cuts cedar trees it is pathetic. But this is irrigated farm country and the catle are just hobbies to most guys here.

the typical cow man here runs snow grass. When the snow is gone turn in the cows, and when the snow returns take them home.

As for the flint hills......cattle gain weight on the trailer just looking at those pastures! I was involved in a ranch at one point in my life where we ran cattle on the flint hills, and they take half and leave half or they get kicked off the land ( if renting it). we cut loose 1800 acres one spring and two weeks later we were dumping cattle in there. not sure as to the rate of gain or anything, because at that point, I was more into the woman chasing stage of my life...... you know how a young guy gets a one track mind.......

to manage the grass, they burn off the old to regenerate the new growth. cattle don't like to reach through old growth to eat the new is the reasons I hear most. I think every two or three years pasture needs burnt. it just cleans it up, and really has a more vigorous growth for the new grass.
plus if it kills just one snake, it is worth it!

Thanks Jigs, You have lots of work ahead of of you. We are using all native grasses here. We have some fields that are for only dormant season grazing and three breeding fields cross fenced out to use one and give the other two rest. So they get used hard one year out of three. Seems to be working as the grass comes back fairly quickly with just one years of hard use and not constant grazing . They were all areas of good grass but under utilization so we are getting better use of those areas as well.
Lots of ways to improve the grass it is just finding the way that works for your areas and you can afford to do it. I could see our 3 year rotation maybe not working in the sandhills because we maybe use it to hard the one year and areas with higher rain fall might grow to much and leave to much trash behind. I don't think to much litter is possible where I live if you are using the grass at all. The grasslands park has that problem that's why they are looking to grazing again because the found that you can't exclude grazers from good management.

Latest posts