• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JingleBob 7/8 rig vs 3/4 rig

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Brad S

Reaction score
I used to ride an old longhorn saddle from back when they were a decent wood, and this saddle had a skirt rig that allowed either a 7/8 or a 3/4 rig by where you strung your lattigo. I feel like the 3/4 rig setting allowed the saddle to ride up where it should and still stay out of the shoulders on most horses.

So I swapped the longhorn off when it got a little loose, and I've never had another 3/4 rig, and it always seems like the 7/8 rig never fits as well.

What sez the saddlemaker?

Also, the skirt rig was ok, but I feel like the D rig over the tree gives more attachment with less pressure.

any thoughts anybody?

Brad S said:
I used to ride an old longhorn saddle from back when they were a decent wood, and this saddle had a skirt rig that allowed either a 7/8 or a 3/4 rig by where you strung your lattigo. I feel like the 3/4 rig setting allowed the saddle to ride up where it should and still stay out of the shoulders on most horses.

So I swapped the longhorn off when it got a little loose, and I've never had another 3/4 rig, and it always seems like the 7/8 rig never fits as well.

What sez the saddlemaker?

Also, the skirt rig was ok, but I feel like the D rig over the tree gives more attachment with less pressure.

any thoughts anybody?

Well Brad, I guess I like what ever works. I prefer a flate plate rigging, but have friends and neighbors who like either their D ring at full double and others who like a skirt rig with either full or 7/8's.

It all depends on the horse and the saddle and how much you are padding him.

I like this W rigging I am putting in on a flat plate as it's very easy to switch from full to 7/8's or 3/4. I like to ride it at 7/8's as then you only have one turn of the latigo that lays under the stirrup leather. Less bulk.

When I go to dargging calves at a branding, I switch to 3/4 and the saddle stays where it's supposed to and doesn't pull back and I don't have to use a breast coller.

I have a horse that 3/4 works real good on, but on the others 7/8 seems to fit them better. When I have a choice, I am always happy. :lol:

Now, if you read this first instead of the other posting where I replied to you, you will probably appreciate my comments. If you read the other one first, you are probably going to want to argue. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope I shed some light on this for you. I think a feller ought to use what he likes and what works for him. :D

Just For Information

rigging.jpg

An adjustable rig makes the most sense, I didn't know people still built them that way. My old longhorn saddle was old when I rode it in the 70s, and it was too wide for many horses.

the W rig you mention, is it in the skirt or overthe tree like a D rig - decreased bulk is worthwhile.

also, why no breast plate? You just trying to not look like a team roper

Brad S said:
An adjustable rig makes the most sense, I didn't know people still built them that way. My old longhorn saddle was old when I rode it in the 70s, and it was too wide for many horses.

the W rig you mention, is it in the skirt or overthe tree like a D rig - decreased bulk is worthwhile.

also, why no breast plate? You just trying to not look like a team roper

I don't see why you couldn't put the W rig in like a regular D ring placement, but I think it would be bulky. If you go back and look at some of the pix I posted, there is a pretty good pic of the W in a flat plat. I would rather have a flate plate as it drops down lower and seems to hug the horse better. I think a flat plate is as strong as any rigging, but I have people try and tell me different. I don't care what they think and I won't argue, just in my experience, I've never seen a flat plate that is built and put on properly, ever get torn up. If you tear a rigging out, you had a hell of a wreck. All that being said, if someone wants me to put in a regular D ring rigging, I sure will.

As for the breast coller, I don't need one, I've found, by using the plate or a cable rigging. 1 less thing to hook up. Funny, them old timers got along fine without collers, unless they were riding the bog sometimes.

I realize that we rope, on the average, bigger cattle now, but I've found if I just cinch up tight and do my roping and then loosen when I'm done, I get along fine. If I was going to rope and drag heifers for spaying, I probably would put one on. I've got one, I just don't use it much.

And by your comment about the team ropers, you must have read the entry about the yearlings on grass, first! :wink: :lol:

I quit using breast collars quite a few years ago. My dad never did use them, and when I was younger I asked him why. He said he'd used one for awhile, but got tired messing with the extra buckles every time he saddled up. I thought, "what a fuddy dud." :wink: You know, he was right. The extra buckles are a pain, and most of the time a breast collar is just that much extra weight for a horse to have to pack around.

My old Tom Cat horse got real stiff because I used a breast collar on him all the time. He could hardly walk out of the barn, and it would take him thirty minutes to get warmed up. When I quit using the breast collar, he just seemed to move much more freely.

On one occasion, I was riding a horse in pretty rough country. He was climbing, and the breast collar started to bother him. He wanted to rear up, and it definitely was not the time or the place for such shenanigans. I took it off, and he was fine. You know, life got easier without messing with a breast collar. Just cinch up good and tight, and roping goes just as well without one.

As far as a rigging goes, just a plain unadjustable 7/8 all the time is my preference.

BM I just rode a Shimon saddle today. I'm on the look for a new saddle and my father in law has this one. I really like it. I'm not crazy about the workmanship(I am overly picky when it comes to my tack. One stich out of place and I won't like it. I could have worse habbits) but the saddle sets my horses great and was easy to ride. I only rode for a couple hrs. We'll see after an all day ride.
I was told by a women that designs trees for Crates that the old standard full was the best for the horse since it pulls evenly on the tree. I like to be able to adjust my cinch position esp. if you should sore a horse but still need to use him.
I have been riding a Colorado saddle and they have the 3 way riggin I like that however we own two of the same kind of saddles and both have had tree problems.
If anyone has any input into a good saddle let me know.

Heel Fly you are right about the workman ship on Ralphs saddles. It is not perfect. I think he has some pretty young help and I am not sure how old he is but he is quite the fellow. He does have years of experience and he seems not afraid to try different ideas. I like my saddle ,it has never sored me or my horses. I move the position of my latigo when I end up riding a fatter horse I can move the rigging back ect. He also has the trees shaped a bit different so they seem to fit nicer.

Heel Fly where abouts in Eastern MT are you? I am just off the NE corner above Plentywood.

I have ridden Ralph Shimon saddles since 1974, and am on my third one. The workmanship on the Shimon saddles might not be quite as fancy as other handmade custom saddles, but they sure fit a horse. I have owned some other "prettier" saddles during this time period, but I always end up riding the Shimon's because they fit the horses and they feel the best to me.

Ol' Ralph is still going, and he is a character. I remember going to his shop at Torrington quite a few years ago. There was a sign on the door of his house, saying something to the effect, "I eat and take a nap between 12:00 and 1:30. Do not bother me during this time. This means you." :wink:

My cousin just got a new Shimon saddle a couple weeks ago. This makes the fifth one that he has. He wanted to get one more, even though he didn't need it yet, just in case Ralph ever retires and quits making them.

We have Gail Jerome saddles. He lives in Helena now and has made some excellent saddles that lots of cowboys ride. Only problem, they are so heavy. We asked for a lighter one and didn't get it. But it fits a horse really good and it real nice to ride. Only thing is getting it on one~oh well, we have managed so far. :wink:

Ralph Shimon went through a time where he had kids or illegals making the saddles and they weren't much during that time. I know he has made some good ones, however. A friend of ours got one and no way would it fit a horse, any horse. We tried it on a lot of them. It stuck way up in the back. She sent it back and true to his word, he gave her a full refund. That's when we found out what the deal was with others making the saddles.

I have riddin that Shimons on some all dayers now and I have to say that it is an awesome saddle. I was roping calves in the pasture and stepped off to tag one when I realized you could stuff a cat between my horse and the cinch. I was impressed. I am going to buy one this year, a roughout though.
BMR do you know Sharon and Roland??????If you do you know me!!

Latest posts