• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Johanns on "Inconclusives"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Obviously from this older artcle he was not a fan of releasing inconclusive test results. Wonder why he announced this one Friday?
Article Posted: 07/01/2004 8:03:55 AM
Gov. Johanns Applauds BSE Testing; Questions Release of Inconclusive

Gov. Mike Johanns learned yesterday afternoon that the results of the first inconclusive bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) test have been confirmed as negative for the disease.

"I commend the USDA for stepping up testing as part of the effort to
restore our beef export markets," Gov. Johanns said. "This testing coupled
with the additional safety measures reinforce what I already know and
American consumers understand ­ that our beef supply is safe."

"With that said, I will also tell you that I am concerned about the market impact of public notification of inconclusive results. I believe there should be immediate public notification in the event that test results are positive for BSE, but I question the wisdom in causing a negative ripple effect of concern over inconclusive results."

BSE testing was stepped up shortly after the discovery of the nation's first case of the disease in a cow in December 2003. Late last week the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced its first inconclusive test results under the enhanced surveillance program. The results of a second inconclusive test, announced late yesterday, are expected within four to seven days.

Any samples that do not return a clear negative result are considered
"inconclusive" and subject to further testing at the USDA National Veterinary Service Laboratory in Ames, Iowa. According to the USDA, the plan to sample a minimum of 201,000 animals will allow the department to detect even one case of BSE in 10 million adult cattle with a very high level of confidence.

The director of the Nebraska Department of Agriculture, Merlyn Carlson, said, “USDA advised us that we could expect inconclusive results due to he sensitive nature of the rapid screening test. USDA has also indicated that more inconclusive test results are a possibility. It is important for the public to recognize that these test results are not an indication of an unsafe meat supply. In fact, quite the opposite is true ­ these tests
demonstrate the extent to which we go to ensure it is safe."

Latest posts