• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

John Deere 6400

Help Support Ranchers.net:

xhangn7

Reaction score
I have a 6400 John Deere and it does not like the cold weather. I have a block heater,oil pan heater and a battery tender and it still doesn't like to start or wont start on cold days. Does any one have any ideas on what I else I might try to get it to start. thanks

add a hydraulic heater to it, and I would put the best batteries the Caterpillar offers.... my 7800 was the same way, but went with Cat batteries, and it will fire every time

I have a '93 6400 with over 9000 hrs and have never had trouble starting it if it had a good battery. Only plug in the blk heater when it gets below 15-20 if it is inside.

I wonder if it has a compression problem-something is definitely wrong with the motor or fuel supply.

I have an older diesel pickup and an other brand tractor that both started hard winter and summer. I put gear reduction starters on both and that really helped as they would crank the engine over a bit faster.

Our 4240 was a real tough start, but we use synthetic 0-40 year round and added a circulating heater. 1/2 hour plugged in and it will start in -40. The circulating heater is nice as it warms the antifreeze and the entire block.

Thanks that was my next step to add a circulating heater. It has 21000 orginal hours with about 6000 on a complete rebuild. I just put a brand new battery from JD dealer last winter $450+ its the only place I could find one it is an odd battery next time I will build another box for a battery to fit in.

I have to agree with wdcook something is wrong? How many hours do you have on this tractor? We do not have a 6400 but this series should start down to 10 degrees, I would start with the battery's, cables, and starter, if still starting hard would pull the injectors to check they are holding pressure and the pattern is good. Do you use no. 1 fuel or a blend in the winter? straight no.1 is very hard on the pump. My son on the place now but we still have a 1995 7700 and it will start down to zero without being tied to a power pole, all though we do plug it in so it's easer on it. Good luck 101. l

RSL said:
Our 4240 was a real tough start, but we use synthetic 0-40 year round and added a circulating heater. 1/2 hour plugged in and it will start in -40. The circulating heater is nice as it warms the antifreeze and the entire block.
Wow! That's cold.

We had a 6400 that acted just like this. We did start using 0-40 oil and added a heater but what the final problem was, was that the transfer fuel pump was week. When we replaced it it started like a charm, problem fix.

rmuse206 said:
We had a 6400 that acted just like this. We did start using 0-40 oil and added a heater but what the final problem was, was that the transfer fuel pump was week. When we replaced it it started like a charm, problem fix.

Welcome to the board!! Always nice when a "lurker" comes out, to help someone out.

Is there a way to test the transfer pump? I found one of the return fuel lines with a piece of an o-ring plugging it up replaced the o-ring and still wont start, it got up to 30 today so it should've started right up. Thanks for the replys

could have a bad fuel shut off switch , if its electric .or carbon under the valves if the tractor isn't used hard it will build carbon & hold the valves open . The started could be rusty & not make a good ground thru the starter to the engine block . your timing on the engine could be off just enough to make hard to start . just some ideas

Well one of my sons is a John Deere mechanic and thought thru a process of elimination he said it had to be the transfer pump so we replaced it and that was the problem...

DB Cooper said:
RSL said:
Wow! That's cold.

That's a Canadian -40 though, right RSL? :wink: :wink: Oh that's right, -40 is the same both sides of the border.

Have a 6405 and the only times it has failed to start in 20 degree weather and below is when the battery was ever so slightly failing.

The engine would spin over, but just not quite fast enough to start it even when the glow plugs & block heater was heated.

A good battery tester is worth it's weight in gold.

Don't know about fuel gelling as it doesn't get that cold here.

Latest posts