• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Joplin Tornado

Help Support Ranchers.net:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Been witnessing how communities can pull together the past two days. I was in a building 11 blocks away from death and destruction in the Joplin Tornado. So far 116 dead and it is deadliest tornado in past 60 years. Going down as one of the top ten ever recorded in the U.S. all before 1953.

Amazing to see how people help each other, I do not live in Joplin but 20 miles away, just happened to be there with my son for baseball. Proud to be from the Midwest where neighbors are still people you can count on!

Indeed. Americans are great and giving people, helping out each other, helping the rest of the world when they're in need.

Glad to hear you came through it okay Aplus. That's way too close for comfort.

Whitewing said:
Indeed. Americans are great and giving people, helping out each other, helping the rest of the world when they're in need.

Glad to hear you came through it okay Aplus. That's way too close for comfort.

I gained a respect for tornado weather that I have never had before! Even when sirens were going off, I just blew it off as another false alarm. 30 minutes later when I saw the destruction that looked like a war zone I could not believe my eyes. For all that to be just 11 blocks away from where we were.

This webpage .... makes you want to cry. I mean this town was HIT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389737/Joplin-MO-tornado-At-89-dead-twister-cuts-4-mile-swathe-Missouri-town.html

jcummins said:
This webpage .... makes you want to cry. I mean this town was HIT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389737/Joplin-MO-tornado-At-89-dead-twister-cuts-4-mile-swathe-Missouri-town.html

It was unimaginable, I have seen this stuff on TV before, I have seen a tornado hit a small town before. But the closes I could say this storm was like was watching a country on TV that has been bombed. People were going around screaming and yelling peoples names, walking up and down street dazed and crying.

Will stick in my mind forever, I have a new respect for storms I never had before!

One upside is Missouri is a bubble type state unlike Texas so I expect Obama to actually help us a little!

Terrible!

So much damage, in so little time!

Do not get me wrong I am not making light of the damage, but did you notice how clean the streets and parking lots are amidst all the damage,

My hats off to the rescue workers and my prayers go out to the citizens.

I had a guy tell me that you can tell someone about a tornado. They still will not know. Until they live it and hear the sounds, smell the smell of wood etc, and see the sites first hand, they don't really know what these people go through.

Larrry said:
I had a guy tell me that you can tell someone about a tornado. They still will not know. Until they live it and hear the sounds, smell the smell of wood etc, and see the sites first hand, they don't really know what these people go through.

So true! I have seen tornado damage to small town a week later and in rural areas. But it did not compare in any way to what this one was like, especially being there when it hit and seeing damage within minutes of the hit.

The smell is very memorable, you can smell burning and gas leaks everywhere mixed with that humid wet smell that came from storm. You can hear gas leaks everywhere, amazes me that more fires did not start or explosions from all the leaks.

Latest posts