• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Journal of J.J. (Jack) Moreland, Merriman, Nebraska - 1949

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Journal of J.J. (Jack) Moreland, Merriman, Nebraska - 1949

Introduction by Steve Moreland, June 16, 2015

In going through some old family memorabilia, we came across this daily journal written by J.J. (Jack) Moreland, my grandfather. It is a first-hand account of his experiences during the Blizzard of 1949
If there is any confusion in reading this journal, keep in mind there is "Old Joy," "Young Joy" (father and son) and Stan's wife-to-be, Joy N.

As a bit of background, Jack Moreland was born in 1895 on a farm near the little village of Prosser, in Adams County, Nebraska. When he was six, they moved to Chase County, where Moreland family members have lived at the town of Imperial, Nebraska ever since.

In the fall of 1916, Jack came to Merriman, Nebraska in Cherry County, to teach school. He taught one year and part of another before being released from his contract so he could enlist in the Army on November 17, 1917. He received his honorable discharge as a second lieutenant from the Army, after the Armistice was signed on November 11, 1918. While in Merriman, he had met Grace Fairhead. They were married on March 3, 1919, and by 1949 when this was written, they were ranching a mile south of Merriman. They had two sons, Bob (my dad) and Stan.

Jack and his son, Bob, had purchased part of the Bar T Ranch northeast of Merriman eight miles. Bob and his brother, Stan, were both single and were batching and living on that ranch at the time of the big Blizzard.

Grace Fairhead Moreland had a brother, Joy Julius Fairhead (1892-1985) who was living in Merriman in 1949. He and his wife, Minna, had two sons Joy C. Fairhead (married to Lois) and Garould Fairhead (married to Gladys) who were both ranching in the Merriman area, as well as two daughters, Dorothy and Mildred, who lived elsewhere.

Stan Moreland was dating Joy Lue Nero at the time. They were married on September 4, 1949. Stan's army buddy, Bruce Anderson, came from Minnesota to attend this wedding in Greeley, Colorado. He brought along his sister, Elaine, who met Bob Moreland at this occasion, and they were married a year later on October 15, 1950. I, Steve Moreland, was born on November 8, 1951, with three younger sisters arriving later—Sandra (1954-1993), Sybil who was born in 1958, and Nancy (married Shawn Vineyard) was born in 1966.

Once again, if there is any confusion in reading this journal, keep in mind there is "Old Joy," "Young Joy" (father and son) and Stan's wife-to-be, Joy N.

Journal of J.J. (Jack) Moreland, Merriman, Nebraska 1949

Handwritten in YEAR BOOK 1949, supplied by
Ross D. Rash
INSURANCE
"Service and Dependability"
BUCHAN BUILDING
Gordon, Nebr.
Telephone: 49W and 267J

SATURDAY, JANUARY 1, 1949
Sprayed everything at Green Valley yesterday for lice. Garould and Joy helped us. Lois and Gladys came with them. Grace and Joy N. were also there. We had dinner and lunch afterwards. Didn't finish 'til after dark. All came in to the JO afterwards. The three young folks went to Gordon. Joy N. not feeling too well this morning. Supposed to start back for Colo. via Alliance the evening [on the train]. Stanley and Joy N. went with Joy C. and Lois to Alliance.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 2, 1949
Weather nice this a.m. Went to church. Came home to dinner. Read and rested in p.m. Charles Correleski came to see about some feed. Nothing decided. Weather changed rapidly in p.m., getting colder and windy. Stanley got back after dark. Boys decided to wait until morning before going to Green Valley.

MONDAY, JANUARY 3, 1949
Got up early to get boys started. A bad storm developed during night. Regular blizzard. Boys started after breakfast. They got to Coles [three miles east of Merriman, in their pickup], borrowed horses and rode on. Phoned back that they had arrived. Got some bad frostbite on wrists. Said that cattle were O.K. but cows had gotten gate down and gotten in with calves. Cole's cattle drifted up against fence. One calf got through and froze to death.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 4, 1949
Storm continued on full blast. Radio reports showed a five state area was affected. Storm was rated as worst since 1888. Temperatures were very low. Boys reported that about half of the yearling steers had left the shelter of the corrals and couldn't be found close by. Drifts were piling up very badly. The boys got some feed to the cattle [using a four-horse team and drag sled], though it was very bad going.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 5, 1949
Storm continued but began to show signs of abating. Clyde and Bruce Weber started out to ranch on foot. Jim T. met them with horses. They were going to look at their cattle on the Pruden. They found some of my steers near them. One was drifted in badly, but they got him out and turned bunch through into better shelter. Boys got them home later. Snyders' bunch of calves were caught without shelter, and they had some serious loss. Pulled some older stuff off ice with Caterpillar Wednesday evening.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 6, 1949
Warmed up considerably. After I got my work done, I saddled Brownie, a work mare that had never been ridden, and started to town. My horse and saddle were at Green Valley so had to use the old saddle. Got to town O.K., then started to Coles with some supplies for the boys as they had to bring Cole's borrowed saddle horses back sooner or later. Highway was drifted over in a number of places and had to lead my horse. Left stuff in Bob's pickup, which had snow banks all around it. Got home after dark.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 7, 1949
Warmed up and cleared up considerably. About eleven, after I had gotten some hay for cattle (milk cows), I started to Green Valley on Brownie. Took stuff from home and picked up what was at Coles' [in Bob's pickup]. Got out there about 1:30. Bob was at Snyders', helping gather scattered cattle. Stanley was feeding. I found supply tank well was not pumping water. Disconnected rod near motor. Boys got it fixed next morn. I got home after dark. Checked up on steers to see if they were all there. Decided they were. Stanley got the feeding done. Cattle looked good considering what they had been through.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 8, 1949
Another blizzard was reported to be on the way from Rapid City area. Boys were planning to go to Coles and take horses back, and get needed supplies. I asked Joy [his wife's brother] to take me out that far. Rode Squirt in. Took some stuff from town besides what I took from home. Bob phoned that they hadn't gone, as weather was turning bad so fast. Afternoon was blizzardy, but not as bad as expected. Weather reports still looked bad Sat. p.m. and eve.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 9, 1949
Cold (5 below) but not too bad otherwise. Churned up a lot of cream that hadn't been delivered because of stormy weather. Used new Dormeyer mixer. Grace worked it and put in molds. Got 12 pounds. Rested and wrote a little in p.m. No church or Sunday School on account of roads and weather. Mail got in from Cody, which is now the end of the railroad. Highway not open yet.

MONDAY, JANUARY 10, 1949
Took 10 pounds of butter to store on horseback. They had not been getting deliveries, so are short on some items including butter. Saw Joy and arranged to go with him to Martin to get some meat in p.m. Took cream in horseback after dinner. Very cold and disagreeable. Got to Martin O.K. as drifts had been plowed through. Thirteen short yearlings belonging to Butch Peterson drifted down highway as far as Joy's. Got meat and returned.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 11, 1949
Still cold. Warmed up some in p.m.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 1949
Warmed up considerably. Bob brought range horses home. I was expecting him and had tractor and sled ready. Broke the road west with just the tractor [an IHC M with no cab and narrow front-end]. He ate a quick dinner and started out. Bruce Weber came to dam [crossing on Bear Creek] with four-horse team, then caught a ride in [to town]. He helped Bob get over the track [railroad track]. Bob got the tractor in but they had to get sled next day.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 13, 1949
Got wash water ready and heating. After breakfast and chores, had to scoop out part of clothesline. Cleaned snow out of shop and away from barn door. Cleaned out cow barn somewhat. In p.m. went to Merriman. Scooped out snow at Joy's. Russell Bakely flew in with a yellow cub and landed just south of the old garden. Taxied back to little raise S.E. of house. Walked to town to get to the bank. Road not broke out yet except with tractor.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 14, 1949
Rode in and delivered cream. Borrowed scoop shovel. After dinner I got to town with pickup. Had new nobbies put on rear wheels, changed oil, and had grease job. Got home for chore time. C.C. Carey called that they would bring cattle Saturday. We arranged to meet at Cole dam. Unloaded hay rack to use for trip.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 15, 1949
Got chores done early. Got team in and also Blue. Hitched up to hay rack. Tied two saddle horses on and started to meet the Carey trucks. Had been nice morning, but weather began to change. Had a little mix-up in town. Had team tied up but they got scared of blowing paper. Broke some straps. Went to East Meadow [just north of Cottonwood Lake] to get hay. Started to snow. Got load on and went to Cole dam. Regular blizzard by now. The Carey trucks and cattle didn't show up. Came back to town about 3 p.m. Got a lunch and waited. Heard the trucks were broke down or stalled. Came on home. Joy's were stalled in Cody.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 16, 1949
Still blizzarding but sky fairly clear. No word yet of cattle. Am afraid they are having a bad time someplace. Later. One load broke down 6 miles from starting point. The other went on to Martin and were unloaded at Pyle place north of Martin.

MONDAY, JANUARY 17, 1949
Took Grace to Merriman with hay rack wagon in p.m. She stayed with her folks overnight. Took in cream.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 18, 1949
Grace also stayed Tuesday night.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19, 1949
I went to Merriman with team. Went on and got load of hay at lake. Grace rode home on top of load.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 20, 1949
Carey arrived with cattle about 11:30. Couldn't get clear here so unloaded (nine cows) near auto gate, and I drove them in. He stayed to dinner. Said he wanted to bring rest as soon as possible.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 21, 1949
Bob came in on horseback as far as Cole dam, and caught a ride to Merriman. Walked home as I was riding after horses in south pasture. He cleaned up, then rode to Merriman from here. Took Stanley's car to Martin where he had some dental work done. Was home for supper, then I rode in with him to bring his horse back. He caught a truck ride to where Trigger was tied at the Cole dam.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 22, 1949
Stan got home about 2:30 on his bay mare. I was breaking road and scooping snow to get pickup to town. He rode on to Merriman, and I drove in when I got through. Bob got in later. Boys intended to have supper with Joy and Lois and stay here all night, but on account of weather warning they decided to pull for the Green Valley Hereford Ranch right after a quick supper here.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 23, 1949
Cold, windy, and disagreeable but not a blizzard. Some snow in afternoon. Very hard to face wind without getting face frozen.

MONDAY, JANUARY 24, 1949
Cold and below zero all day.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 25, 1949
Got a load of hay from East Meadow in p.m. Warmed up to ten above zero. Took cream in and brought groceries back.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 26, 1949
Bob came home about 11:00 to go to Martin in p.m. to have dental work finished. After feeding I broke road to gate with wagon. Bob drove Dodge after dinner, and we got it through with some shoveling and pushing. I went to East Meadow and put out some hay there, and brought a load home. Expect Carey with balance of cows in a.m.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 27, 1949
Took eight of these Carey cows and drove them to meadow about 10 a.m. The trucks were unloading the other 31 when I got there. Weather was getting colder and cloudier. Came home and ate dinner and got another horse for Carey. Picked him up in town. Wind coming up and starting to snow. Followed the highway to the dam. It was a regular blizzard by that time. Bob met us and Carey came back. After a very hard trip with these weak cows, I came home arriving about 8 p.m. Still blizzarding.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 28, 1949
Wind howled all night. Snow drifted roads full again, no doubt. Sun shining this a.m. but cold and windy.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 29, 1949
Blank

SUNDAY, JANUARY 30, 1949
Blank

MONDAY, JANUARY 31, 1949
Worked all day digging Bob's pickup out of snow, ice, and dirt where it was still drifted in at Coles. Made arrangements with Perreten to pull it out with the wrecker when he could get to it, but he didn't get out today as he was too busy with emergency repairs, etc. that came in.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 1949
Went out to Coles again to loosen pickup from what was holding it. Chris [Perreten] arrived about 11:00. We pulled it out over the snow drift—about 250 feet ahead. I cleaned it up as much as possible while he pulled Jay Cole's tractor out. He towed it to get it started, and I left it at the dam. Boys came with wagon to get cake and supplies. Left them [team and wagon] at dam when we went home to dinner and to get cake, etc. Stan was cold when we got home.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 1949
Hauled load of hay from meadow and started sorting sacks [burlap] the boys brought from Green Valley.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 1949
Sorted sacks all day. Found them hard to make presentable as snow had drifted and melted somewhat on them. Got 300 good sacks and 50 fair ones lined up. [There was a deposit on these sacks, and the deposit was paid back when the sacks were returned.] Boys got home too late to get them off to Cozad, but went to Lodge [Masonic Lodge in Martin, South Dakota]. Got stuck as they went over the hill [north of Merriman], so they had to put chains on. I slipped on ice while doing chores and hurt my backside.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 1949
Took sacks to Cozad at Martin. Got $32.50 for bunch. Got rest of meat from Locker.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 1949
Worked on tax report most of the day. Boys were home for supper. They went back to Green Valley as the weather didn't look too good.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 1949
Spent spare time on tax report. G.E.M. [his wife, Grace Elizabeth Moreland] and I called on Joy's [Grace's brother and his wife, Minna] and the folks [Grace's parents, G.O. and Julia Fairhead] in the latter part of the afternoon. Joy Jr. and Lois brought in some ice cream. Bob and Stan drove to Gordon and out to Garould's [their cousin, Garould Fairhead and his wife, Gladys] when they got back. Went back to Green Valley about midnight.

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 1949
Worked on snow and manure in barns and sheds most of the day. It was thawing some of the time.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 1949
Drove to Gordon in p.m. Took G'ma, as she wanted to see the doctor. Got Bob's boots ($3.25) at repair shop. Got meat, etc. Got home before dark. Plenty of high drifts in places, with one-way traffic through them. Nice warm day.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 1949
Worked on valve and float in bathroom. New valve no better than old one, if as good, so took it off again and put on old one. Checked batteries in car and added water to some of them. Windy and getting colder.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 1949
Intended to go to Green Valley early, behind bulldozer which was to leave Cole's at 7:00, but Bob phoned that they wouldn't leave until about 10, so we waited 'til 10:30 or so and started. Got there with no trouble as the dozer was ahead. We took out a load of cake and groceries. The dozer had already worked an hour or so. We put in a good p.m. after eating a late dinner. Grace and I also stayed for supper. Dozer worked all night and got done.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 1949
Blank

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 1949
Went out to the Circle 6 [Fairhead's ranch] to see how they were getting along bull-dozing. Found them broke down and not working. Hoped to get some work done on Gardner feed yard, but it didn't work out that way.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 1949
Rested some in p.m. Grace and I went to Martin in evening. Saw a good picture [movie].

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 1949
Went to Valentine with Bryan and wife [probably Bryan Metzger and his wife, Zelpha]. Main purpose of trip, to try and hold bulldozer longer, as they were ordered to pull out in evening. Only partial success. Saw Satterlee [his accountant] but will have to return later. Got home about dark. Turned off somewhat warmer.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 1949
Went to Green Valley to recount part of cattle for inventory. Bob was at Weber's helping spray. I cleaned old ice out of tank and then rode to North Meadow where Stanley was feeding steers. Then I rode to
West Meadow to see about water, etc. We had a late dinner afterwards, and I came on home.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 1949
Went to Hay Springs to see Lambert about a light plant trade. Found he didn't have anything on hand at present. Burr Ricedorf went with me. We stopped a few minutes at Gordon on return. Grace was at club while I was gone. Nice day. Thawing most of day.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 1949
Went to Valentine. Saw Satterlee. Tried to make deal for light plant, but didn't see Beed as he was out of town. Grace went along and took her vacuum cleaner to exchange for the one she was supposed to get. Mrs. Dick Lessert and granddaughter rode home with us.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 1949
Sent in an article to the NEBRASKA CATTLEMAN about methods of winter hay feeding. Had a quiet birthday [he turned 54 years old]. No cannon salute or firecrackers. Got a pair of pajamas from G.E.M.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 1949
Had trouble with lights this a.m. An extension cord shorted and blew out the fuse, and continued to shoot. Finally had to get Herb Eyl to come out and find the trouble. [Wasn't he complaining about no firecracker just the very day before?] Boys came home for supper and went to Joy and Lois' afterwards.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 1949
Blank

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 1949
Blank [this would have been his son, Bob's 26th birthday, but no mention was made of this.]

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 1949
Went to Green Valley to spray for lice and grubs. Grace went along to cook. I had to come back for a shut-off valve as the original wouldn't hold the pressure. Got a late start but worked 'til after dark and got done. Ronald Snyder helped. C.C. Carey and man came with truck and took 6 cows away.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 1949
Grace went to Ladies Aid in p.m. and I rode most of the p.m. Checked the range horses and found one lame one.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 1949
Grace and I went to Gordon. I went to the sale for a while. Prices seemed pretty good again. One group of light heifers brought $26.60 per cwt. Grace stayed and I came home. Flood conditions are beginning in Gordon.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 1949 – TUESDAY, MARCH 1, 1949
Blank

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2, 1949
Went to Valentine with Bob and Stan. I got my income tax finished and ready for the check. They didn't get through. Traded the 110v motor outfit for a reconditioned 32v wind-charger outfit to be installed next week. Charles Everett came to go to work on Green Valley Hereford Ranch while we were gone, fixing over house. He fixed south threshold here.

THURSDAY, MARCH 3, 1949
Started work on house. Cut big door between rooms. I hauled out tile from home when we went out.

FRIDAY, MARCH 4, 1949
I hauled some lumber and gravel. Grace went along. When we got to Coles' stack yard, old man Bectel had tipped his hayrack over and was caught underneath. We lifted the rack and dragged him out, and took him back to town. Got Jay Harner to take him to the doctor. His leg was broken badly. Tore old porch floor out and put in forms for cement.

SATURDAY, MARCH 5, 1949
Hauled more gravel and rock. We got the footing in for the cement tile. Got the door cut through to the room which will be the kitchen. Got the arch finished between dining and living rooms, ready for the plastering. Got some of the extra floor joists in in west basement room.
And here the journal ends abruptly. My granddad must have either lost interest in keeping up his daily writings, or just become too busy.

Here is a little sidelight I forgot to mention in connection with the January 7th entry, when Jack delivered supplies to the Green Valley. Both Bob and Stan smoked cigarettes as young men, although Bob mostly smoked a pipe. They were out of tobacco and cigarette papers (they "rolled their own"), and requested that their dad bring some out when he came. He had thought for a long time that they needed to quit that nasty habit, so wasn't planning to comply. Grandma Grace realized the boys were under enough stress that they needed some smoking material, so she smuggled nicotine necessities into the pack where Grandpa Jack wouldn't find it. Thus he inadvertently delivered the contraband, and his sons were happy.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Aww the good old days :D

Man those old boys were tough.
They were tough now I start the fmwd tractor let it warm up 20 minutes while I have a cup of coffee. Then hop in the tractor and work up a sweat because I have the heater set to warm.
Thanks for the read Soapweed

Just guessing, but it might have been the whole system of wind charger, batteries, and anything else required to produce that 32 volt electricity so many farms and ranches used before rural electricity came to the Midwest and western USA.

mrj

Mike said:
What was he calling a "light plant"? A generator?

The terms are interchangeable in these parts.

Thanks for sharing Soap, that's an interesting read.

Mike said:
What was he calling a "light plant"? A generator?

mrj said:
Just guessing, but it might have been the whole system of wind charger, batteries, and anything else required to produce that 32 volt electricity so many farms and ranches used before rural electricity came to the Midwest and western USA.

mrj

Thanks, mrj. I think that is the correct answer.

That was an interesting story. Very few wrote down what they did during the storm.

As for the "Light plant", in those times light was the primary need, so the title. My dad purchased a 500 watt, 120 volt "Light Plant" from Sears in 1947, my older brothers bought a 25 cent book from Sears with instructions on how to wire the house.
Later a pump jack was added for the well, and a IHC milking machine. It would not run the well and the milking machine at the same time, and with a motor on the separator and lights in the barn, it made work a lot easier. The separator had to be cranked up to speed before turning the motor on. Lights in the chicken house and the use of heat lamps made caring for baby chickens easier.

He probably could have gotten a good deal on a light plant up here in 1949 as the REA had just came through the year before.

Bullhauler said:
He probably could have gotten a good deal on a light plant up here in 1949 as the REA had just came through the year before.

Bullhhauler, where is "up here"? I was born in 1951, and recall when LaCreek Electric installed electricity on our ranch in 1956. My mother was very excited, as it was a vast improvement to the old 32-volt wind charger.

Sort of ironic how we've come full circle back to wind turbines, without the ability to store the energy.

Soapweed said:
Bullhauler said:

Bullhhauler, where is "up here"? I was born in 1951, and recall when LaCreek Electric installed electricity on our ranch in 1956. My mother was very excited, as it was a vast improvement to the old 32-volt wind charger.

North central South Dakota. I just found it interesting that at the same time your grandpa was trying to buy a light plant that my grandpa and all his neighbors were trying to sell theirs. Would be interesting hearing what year electricity came to different farms and ranches across the country. I know farms that were right along the NWPS line got electricity back in the twenties.

Seems to me we got to retire our light plant in about 1977. Phone was a few years after that. I think we got our own private phone line in about 1985. Hot and cold running water about mid '70s as well. When the luxuries came they came fast and furious!
I was pretty young in the seventies but remember it was an exciting time with all the new niceties.

Latest posts