• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Judge Delays Border Opening

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER said:
If I enjoyed being a pawn in the beef industry game ,I would join the NCBA.Lets dont for get why the border is closed and who caused it................good luck

Haymaker I thought the USDA closed the border because of a BSE cow. Now are you telling us that R-CALF closed the border?
Haymaker I won't consider it bragging if you tell us how much you donated to R-CALF's legal fund. :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
If I enjoyed being a pawn in the beef industry game ,I would join the NCBA.Lets dont for get why the border is closed and who caused it................good luck

Haymaker I thought the USDA closed the border because of a BSE cow. Now are you telling us that R-CALF closed the border?
Haymaker I won't consider it bragging if you tell us how much you donated to R-CALF's legal fund. :cowboy:

I have told you more than once R CALF has members that are neutral in the border dispute,but being an advocate of fair play I have to wonder just how fair is it to open the border before the american cattle man regains his exports..............good luck PS every check I have sent R CALF has been clearly marked "'FAIR PLAY'"

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:

I have told you more than once R CALF has members that are neutral in the border dispute,but being an advocate of fair play I have to wonder just how fair is it to open the border before the american cattle man regains his exports..............good luck PS every check I have sent R CALF has been clearly marked "'FAIR PLAY'"

YADA YADA YADA :cowboy: Haymaker the more you talk the less you say. :roll:

So can you designate those cheques to go to the "Buy a Lawyer a Porsche" fund or maybe to the "Buy a Lawyer a Beamer Fund". :???:

Hey! That gives me an idea! How be you guys send the R-Calf lawyers up here so they can compare Hummers with our internet pharmacists? :lol:

I bet our local druggist's Lamborghini can beat Bill Bullard's best lawyer's Porche on the quarter mile.

We win, the border opens. You lose, the border opens. (I bet 'brusker would take that bet :wink: )

Manitoba_Rancher, You richly deserve every insult that Nebrusker or anybody else throws at you!!!! :mad:
Give your head a shake!!!! :roll:

Mike said:
I think if I were Canadian cattleman right now I would be putting together a proposal to Japan for 100% tested beef. It's obvious they don't want ours now. THAT would throw a stick in R-Calf's spokes.
Oh, but I forgot, you have to contend with the same packers up there we have down here.

I just heard Ted Haney on the radio and he says that Japan considers the US beef and Canadian beef to be at the very same risk. Japan told both countries that when they take beef it will be from both countries. The one thing in Canada's favor is Japan likes our national tracing ability and that may be the one thing that opens the Japanese market to Canadian beef before it will open to the US. I hope he is right.

Well I see that Manitoba_Rancher's post has been deleted.GOOD!!!
I can only hope that I was the only one that read it and that he/she was the one that had the common sense/good taste to delete it him/her self!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

YADA YADA YADA Haymaker the more you talk the less you say.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...........GOOD LUCK

Big Muddy rancher said:
Your R-CALF boys better get ready to cough up some more money cause if this thing goes to trial with "Experts and All" you guys won't see the end of your legal bills. Remember your fighting the US Treasury.

I will admit I am disapointed today but maybe this is what it will take to break R-CALF.. :cowboy:

Big Muddy- How much do you think the treasury department will kick in?-- The talk of the town today was that after Martin told Bush to shove his missile defense program, GW called up USDA and had the lead attorney replaced by the interning law clerk- didn't happen, but could of........That following every other slam Canada has given the US.......Be interesting to see the zealousness of the appeals........

Lot of political pressure down here-- and a court ruling covers all their political butts!!! Most ranchers I talk to are sympathetic to the individual Canadian ranchers and producers for their situation, but have no sympathy to the Canadian government that put them in the position they are in-- That along with the BSE big grey area health question which has closed down all US exports puts us in opposition to each other ....I've had one issue that I've always wanted to see- Country of Origin Labeling-- stopping the fraud perpetrated by the packers and retailers of passing off imported meat as a US product-- Let the consumers decide what is safe and what they want to eat---- I now think it will come to be-- May even take court ordered labeling to accomplish this.......

"We're hopeful Canadian cattle deliveries will begin soon after the border opens," said Gary Mickelson, a spokesman for Tyson Inc., one of the United States' largest meatpackers. "However, because of the logistics involved in certifying the cattle it may take some time for the volume of shipments to grow."

Tired of paying higher prices for U.S. cattle and unable to get cheaper Canadian livestock, Tyson Inc. had temporarily closed plants in Nebraska and Iowa over the past two months. It has since restarted operations.

Harvey Dann, a cattle buyer in Manitoba, said he has been lining up cattle for U.S. meatpackers to purchase for the past week. The detailed rules could delay shipments and also will cut into U.S. packers' profit margins, Dann said.

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/8/5/64242158.html

Some ranchers and members of Congress have argued that letting Canadian cattle across the border to mix in feedlots with U.S. cattle might actually hurt prospects for expanding overseas markets if those countries have poor perceptions of Canadian beef.

U.S. Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., who traveled to South Korea last month to meet with trade officials there, told Johanns that consumers there were highly concerned about the issue.

"That single incident in the state of Washington has caused beef consumption in Korea to decline significantly," he said. "I come back from Korea very concerned that we're proposing to rush forward, bring these Canadian cattle down, and it's going to make it more difficult for us in the end to win back that market."

Representatives for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and the packing and processed foods industry testified in support of reopening Canadian trade, and said critics are protectionists hiding behind hyped-up health concerns.

Many ranchers and state cattle organizations oppose the move, saying it comes too soon and will hurt them financially.

That didnt happen to be me that said those things. I had my computer open here in the office and I think a disgruntled fello Canadian Rancher submitted that post. I never even got to read what it said. I appologize for anything wrongfully stated or said.

M_R-"That didnt happen to be me that said those things. I had my computer open here in the office and I think a disgruntled fello Canadian Rancher submitted that post. I never even got to read what it said. I appologize for anything wrongfully stated or said."

Ya OK. You should ask Haymaker about the dangers of letting other old geezers use your computer. :lol:
Now,if you'll excuse me, the Easter Bunny is staying overnight at my place and I have to go steal the golden egg he layed while he is still sleeping!!! :roll:

Here's the take from Meatingplace.com.............They predict the trial to start this summer or fall.....

Breaking News
Canadian border to remain closed, R-CALF's injunction granted

by Pete Hisey on 3/2/05 for Meatingplace.com

A federal judge in Montana has granted a temporary injunction against USDA that will keep the Canadian border closed to live cattle for the foreseeable future. The decision, according to R-CALF USA spokeswoman Shae Dodson, will result in either an appeal by USDA to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals or a trial on the issue of the safety of Canadian cattle that she estimates would take place between mid-summer and early autumn of this year.

In his decision, U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull ordered the two sides to produce a mutually agreeable timetable for a trial, and gave them 10 days to produce it. Dodson said R-CALF's lawyers will probably meet tomorrow with USDA lawyers.

R-CALF went to court this morning demanding that the reopening of the border be delayed until the court could hear the full argument about the scientific basis for allowing Canadian cattle into the U.S. The rancher's group contends that sloppy science is involved in the decision, that the reopening is premature, and that irrevocable harm could result if the border is reopened under the current plan.

The American Meat Institute's chief executive, J. Patrick Boyle, who favors the reopening, said AMI is "very disappointed with Judge Cebull's decision today because we believe that Canadian beef is as safe and wholesome as beef produced in this country. The prolonged border closure with Canada is not only causing long-term structural damage to the meat industry in the U.S., but it has hurt many hardworking American families who earn their living processing Canadian cattle and beef products."

AMI is awaiting a decision on its lawsuit demanding that the border be opened to all beef products, regardless of the age of the cattle involved. As written, USDA's rule would limit imports to live animals and boxed beef from cattle under 30 months of age.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
That didnt happen to be me that said those things. I had my computer open here in the office and I think a disgruntled fello Canadian Rancher submitted that post. I never even got to read what it said. I appologize for anything wrongfully stated or said.

Yea u betcha.

Pull the other one it has bells on it.

Here south of the border if they want to put in a pipeline or electric line or road in and you say NO they can then condem the ground and you are SOL Was dissappointed to hear about the border not being opened

Thank you for your kind thought. It's appreciated.

I'm not surprised that Mr Cebull has ruled the way he did, but I'm still not happy about it.

It really makes you think when things like this happen.

For one thing, how is it that one District Judge can make a decision that stands and overrides the trade agreements signed by a national government?

How is it that one District Judge in a small corner of the country can overrule the opinions of hundreds if not thousands of scientists who make their careers out of studying this disease. Does he know something they don't know?

Maybe we should fire all the politicians, civil servants, and scientists, and just become members of the Kingdom of Montana? Then we can live happily ever after in a perfect world with neverending high cattle prices.

Kato:"How is it that one District Judge in a small corner of the country can overrule the opinions of hundreds if not thousands of scientists who make their careers out of studying this disease. Does he know something they don't know?"

The USDA picked an IRT (International Review Team of experts, scientists, etc.) to recommend procedures following the Wash. cow. They recommended removing "ALL" SRM's from cattle 12 months and older. The USDA scoffed their recommendations as unjustified.

The report from the team also said that the OTM rule on SRM removal was a reasonable temporary compromise. The part I don't like is the fact the the USDA was to find the true prevalance of BSE in the US by testing the recommended catagory of cattle then adjust the rules accordingly but if the USDA doesn't test to find the true prevalance, the adjustments may be wrong to properly protect the industry and the consumers.

Latest posts