• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

July 20, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Blackbirdsandblackheifers.jpg

Blackbirds and black heifers getting along quite well
Birdsofafeatherflockingtogether.jpg

Birds of a feather flocking together
Noonewillflockwithme.jpg

But no one will flock with me. :cry:
TennesseeWalkingCalf.jpg

Tennessee Walking Calf
Onasaltrun.jpg

On a salt run
Ayearlingbull.jpg

Yearling bull
YearlingbullthatoriginatedinOregon.jpg

A yearling bull that was born in the state of Oregon
Sundown.jpg

Sundown
Thedayisadonedeal.jpg

The day is about a done deal.

How do you end up with an Oregon bred bull? I think were moving our sale out to Mobridge SD next year a bit nervous but the majority here don't / won't spend much on bulls. If all they want to spend is steer price thats what they should get.

Heifers look good I like the type.

you got your red wing black birds your yellow wing black birds and black black birds and cow birds which aint really black birds, all of which aint crows or even ravens. that is alot of black birds, soap, nice pics agin

Denny said:
How do you end up with an Oregon bred bull? I think were moving our sale out to Mobridge SD next year a bit nervous but the majority here don't / won't spend much on bulls. If all they want to spend is steer price thats what they should get.

Mobridge is only 30 miles from us.

Nice pictures Soapweed, the cattle look in great condition, such a contrast at the moment between those who have had rain, and those that are still in drought! The sunset pictures are breathtaking, thank you for posting them.
Yale said:
Hi,great pics,are what you call blackbirds what we call crows in the UK? :???:

Hi Yale, welcome to the forum, what cattle are you running?

Denny said:

A family is now living in the Sandhills that brought their cattle from Oregon with them. I bought nine registered bulls from them this spring.

Yale said:

VB RANCH said:
you got your red wing black birds your yellow wing black birds and black black birds and cow birds which aint really black birds, all of which aint crows or even ravens. that is alot of black birds, soap, nice pics agin

Thanks, VB RANCH. You explained the bird quandary very well.

andybob said:
Nice pictures Soapweed, the cattle look in great condition, such a contrast at the moment between those who have had rain, and those that are still in drought! The sunset pictures are breathtaking, thank you for posting them.
Yale said:

Hi,in the UK we are probably an average family farm (a lot smaller scale than most i see on here).We run around 50 suckler cows,mainly pedigree Limousin rearing the bulls intensively to slaughter at 16 months with the heifers being reared as replacements and beef.
We also keep 600 breeding ewes which will give just less than a 1000 lambs for sale per year.
It is an upland type farm running from 800ft to 1300ft above sea level,mainly grass with a small area down to swedes for lamb keep in the winter. :)

Yale said:
andybob said:
Yale said:

Hi,in the UK we are probably an average family farm (a lot smaller scale than most i see on here).We run around 50 suckler cows,mainly pedigree Limousin rearing the bulls intensively to slaughter at 16 months with the heifers being reared as replacements and beef.
We also keep 600 breeding ewes which will give just less than a 1000 lambs for sale per year.
It is an upland type farm running from 800ft to 1300ft above sea level,mainly grass with a small area down to swedes for lamb keep in the winter. :)

OK I gotta ask what is"a small area down to swedes for lamb keep in the winter. ? :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Yale said:
andybob said:

OK I gotta ask what is"a small area down to swedes for lamb keep in the winter. ? :D

We grow 14 acres of swedes as the field we are cultivating at the moment is this size.Generally it is between 9 and 14.

Usually we roundup the grass field then plough it,cultivate then precision drill the swedes.
We changed systems last year spraying a silage grass crop then after 5 days cutting it and harvesting it.Then we direct drilled the stubble with an Aichson (made in New Zealand) drill.The crop came quite well but suffered from a dry spell when it was germinating.
This year we have sprayed the field after the winter with roundup then used the same process of direct drilling.The weather has been kind and quite honestly it is looking to be the best established crop we have ever grown.Very pleased,just wish i was better with tech stuff to put a picture on here. :oops: :oops:

Yale said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Yale said:

We grow 14 acres of swedes as the field we are cultivating at the moment is this size.Generally it is between 9 and 14.

Usually we roundup the grass field then plough it,cultivate then precision drill the swedes.
We changed systems last year spraying a silage grass crop then after 5 days cutting it and harvesting it.Then we direct drilled the stubble with an Aichson (made in New Zealand) drill.The crop came quite well but suffered from a dry spell when it was germinating.
This year we have sprayed the field after the winter with roundup then used the same process of direct drilling.The weather has been kind and quite honestly it is looking to be the best established crop we have ever grown.Very pleased,just wish i was better with tech stuff to put a picture on here. :oops: :oops:

So are swedes, turnips?

Swedes are like turnips but tend to be higher dry matter and more frost hardy.We had a few weeks of temperatures down to -15c and the swedes had only a little frost damage on the neck,the lambs grazed them right through to the spring.The variety we are growing this year is siskin however the last few years we grew lomond.The reason we changed was seed availability. :)

Latest posts