• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

July 26, 2013

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Goodmorningtoburnsacks800x600_zps8c92a5ea.jpg

Good morning to burn sacks
APolarisapostandaproject800x600_zps817d8541.jpg

A Polaris, a post, and a potential project
Whilecountingcowsthroughthisgatetheybrokethecornerpost800x600_zpsf165f1c7.jpg

While counting cows through this gate, they broke off the corner post.
Gettingtheoldstubout800x600_zpsd7b735d0.jpg

Getting the old stub fished out of the sand
Thepostisquitebig800x600_zpsbe5c954e.jpg

The post is quite big.
Afootindiameteratthebase800x600_zps068dc200.jpg

It's eight feet long and a foot in diameter at the base.
Gotitin800x600_zpsde686878.jpg

Got it dug in
Notparticularlyprettybutfunctional800x600_zps5d8ee082.jpg

Not particularly pretty, but it should do the trick
Bredheifersinacommitteemeeting800x600_zps7300d8d7.jpg

Bred heifers in a committee meeting
Heifersonahillside800x600_zps7a3b7285.jpg

Heifers on a hillside
Bellieduptothebar800x600_zps2fb1cda6.jpg

Bellied up to the bar
Sheskindofshiny_zpscad17066.jpg

She's kind of shiny.
Meanwhilebackatthegate800x600_zpsb38ead44.jpg

Meanwhile back at the gate. If this was along a highway, I'd have to go to more trouble and put in a more dignified box corner with
an H brace. Since it's miles out in the hills, I cheated and did it this way. So if it's not good enough to put along the highway, why
did I show all of you folks my easy way out. That is the question. :???: :?
Girlsbreakawayroping800x600_zpsa0a989c2.jpg

Girls breakaway roping at Gordon, Nebraska Friday evening
Notgoingtowork800x600_zpsb74a56ba.jpg

Not going to work
Goodshot800x600_zpse991cfb4.jpg

Good shot
Holdingathought800x600_zpsf5309c73.jpg

Hold that thought
Calfscramble800x450_zps81424ee8.jpg

Calf scramble

That's a pretty impressive post Soap. What was it when it was alive, and what kind of life expectancy can you expect from untreated posts in your country? With our wood and our ground 2 or 3 years would be about it I would think.
Your country is holding on to it's green colour quite nicely.

Silver said:
That's a pretty impressive post Soap. What was it when it was alive, and what kind of life expectancy can you expect from untreated posts in your country? With our wood and our ground 2 or 3 years would be about it I would think.

It's a native cedar. I tried to take off as much bark as I could on the part that is down in the hole. It will probably last longer than I will. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Silver said:

It's a native cedar. I tried to take off as much bark as I could on the part that is down in the hole. It will probably last longer than I will. :wink:

I use to get aggravated at my Grandpa and Dad when they said, "Well, I will never have to do that again." I try not to say it, but I sure think it every time I put a post in the ground or hang a heavy gate.

Just curious were there any rocks that you encountered digging that hole? Looked like a sand pile to me.

wdcook said:
Soapweed said:
Silver said:

I use to get aggravated at my Grandpa and Dad when they said, "Well, I will never have to do that again." I try not to say it, but I sure think it every time I put a post in the ground or hang a heavy gate.

My dad says that daily....

In Soaps country, you are more likely to hit water before you find a rock.

Latest posts