• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

June 27 and 28, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Readytosortheifers800x600.jpg

Ready to sort heifers
TogotoMinnesota800x600.jpg

To go to Minnesota for the rest of the summer
Goodhelponhand800x600.jpg

Good help on hand
JFRanchandPeachwerealsoonthecrew800x600.jpg

JF Ranch and Peach were also horseback and part of the crew.
We just held the bunch at the windmill, and sorted off ones not to go.
Stuckduckinthemuck800x600.jpg

Stuck duck in the muck
Anotherduck800x600.jpg

Same duck
KosmoKiddemonstratinghisabilities800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid demonstrating his abilities
NicecorralsattheJFRanch800x600.jpg

Nice pipe corral set-up at the JF Ranch
JFRanchandhisableassistant800x600.jpg

The proprietor and his able assistant
Sparkysrun-about600x800.jpg

Sparky's run-about
Loadingtheheifersthenextday800x600.jpg

Loading heifers the next day
Loadingatruck800x600.jpg

Up the loading chute and onto a truck
KosmoKidatwork800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid at work
200heifersandbulls800x600-1.jpg

200 yearling heifers and 7 bulls Minnesota bound
Mansbestfriend.jpg

Man's best friend

Your cattle are doing well in spite of lack of moisture.

Hope someone took the duck to water. :D

Is JF about to scratch his head over your trucking bill? Liners run about $5.50 per loaded mile or $140 per hr round trip up here.

Great pictures! I've been enjoying the pictures you've posted lately! I think it is neat how it always looks like you guys are on top of things!

PureCountry said:
Great pics as usual Soap. Does this story in photo go along with the thread on Planning for Drought? Are you pretty dry?

It is terribly dry. I can't imagine that it could have been any worse in the 1930's. At least we are one day closer to the next rain. :wink:

At about the same time that JF Ranch asked me if I had a back-up plan, Denny mentioned that he had grass available. The puzzle pieces all seem to fit into place, right down to a cool day to work the cattle. The heifers and bulls all had to be individually "IDed" by a vet to satisfy Minnesota state regulations. While running them through the chute, we also gave a second foot-rot preventative vaccine and a pink-eye prevention shot, along with pour-on fly control.

Shortgrass said:
Tell Kosmo that we've had some wind like that here, too.

This is a pretty windy country to hold those size eleven boots out that straight in the air. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
Your cattle are doing well in spite of lack of moisture.

Hope someone took the duck to water. :D

Is JF about to scratch his head over your trucking bill? Liners run about $5.50 per loaded mile or $140 per hr round trip up here.

I should have said, "a duck wishing it was stuck in the muck." :wink:

The trucking bill came to $7100 for three liners to go 604 miles, with 69 head on each load. It wasn't as bad as I thought it could be.

R A said:
Great pictures! I've been enjoying the pictures you've posted lately! I think it is neat how it always looks like you guys are on top of things!

Thanks, R A. We aren't nearly as "on top of things" as it might look. One thing about it though, the Good Lord is. His shoulders are a lot broader than mine, so it is pretty easy to just ask Him for help. He always comes through. :)

I arrived in Merriman about an hour early and wanted to find the church so that I wasn't late. Not only did I pass the church 3 times, but I also passed as I later explained to LazyWP, "a goofy 3 wheeled thing". He told me that was Sparky's creation.

No real point to the story, just thought it was neat seeing it again from a few thousand miles away.

I really enjoy your pictures. How do you keep your cattle out of the stock tank? We have a set up just like that on some ground my dad just bought and the first hot day half the herd was in the tank. After everyone did their buisness in the tank then they decided they didn't want to drink out of it. We built a rail around it so they can't crawl in. From the looks of your herd you have it built up nice. The cost of hauling them back and forth for one year isn't much if you figure you keep your high quality heifers lasting for the next 8 years. A lot of people think a person should just sell and then buy back, but how do you know exactly what your buying.

Latest posts