• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

June 7, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Fromthetopofafirewatchingtowerlookingnorth.jpg

From the top of a fire watching tower built back in the late 1930's, looking north
Lookingdowntotheeast.jpg

Looking down to the east
Lookingdowntothesouth.jpg

Looking down to the south
Lookingdowntothewest.jpg

Looking down to the west
Lookingsouthourranchisabouteightmilesstraightsouth.jpg

Looking south to the distant Sandhills. Our place is a few miles on south of the farthest hills.

For those who didn't see these pictures on the Z-Tag post:
Handylittletool.jpg

Handy little tool
Itspurposeistoundoeartags.jpg

It's purpose is to undo ear tags
Sotheycanbere-used-1.jpg

So both the tag and button can be used again
Lookingdown-1.jpg

I've had this for many years. It is handy for taking out old ear tags even if they won't be used again, and more user-friendly than to cut the button.

So where is the fire tower? I used to love climbing the one at Halsey, back when it was manned all the time. Now I am not sure its even open to the public.

George said:
Before I read the caption I was thinking "boy thats a tall windmill"
Not me I was think Soap is one tough/brave soul to climb something that tall. I am scared of hieghts and that one picture almost got me. Neat pictures though

The fire tower is on LaCreek Wildlife Refuge in Bennett County, South Dakota. It had probably been fifteen years since I had climbed to the top of it. I was kind of happy to almost keep up with the Kosmo Kid as we trudged up the steps. :wink:

LazyWP said:
So where is the fire tower? I used to love climbing the one at Halsey, back when it was manned all the time. Now I am not sure its even open to the public.

The last time I was at the Bessey Nat'l Forest a couple of years ago, the fire tower was closed. The sign said something about handrail regulations. Silly goobermint regulations anyway. I think you could still set up a tour in advance.

Latest posts