• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Juniper

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
So I fell this juniper September of last year to make room at our spring development project. This week we started working on it for this winters fire wood. It is 44 inches across the stump. It has limbs that are 16-18 inches in diameter. We have a little trailer we pull behind a quad. It measures 7 x 3 with just 10 inch sideboards. We figure 15 loads on that trailer is our winters wood. Measured in the stack in the wood shed it is right about 3 cords. Three rounds sawed off and some assorted limbs, we have hauled 4 loads and there is probably half another load still up there. To give you some perspective, that is a Stihl 462 with a 32 inch bar sitting on the stump.

PA273058.JPG

Juniper around here is just a little bush that might get few feet tall

I've never seen a juniper that was that big. Here the big ones get cut for Christmas Trees.
That's one awesome juniper.
I have a lot of them that would be 2 foot on the stump and 40 feet tall. This one is just barely up hill of the wet ground from the spring. There is root that runs toward the wet which must be well over a foot in diameter. I have no idea how much water this thing was taking up but I bet it was a lot. Years ago someone fell a lot of junipers here. Sitting up on the limbs the wood is still good. We have cut a lot for fire wood as did people here before us. Trouble is all the easy to get to trees are gone.

too many of those green weeds here, really want a big track skid steer or a mid sized track hoe with a tree mulcher for juniper and ponderosa pine
I bought some pellets from Forestry Supply. Pronone pellets. They are suppose to kill juniper. One pellet for every 3 feet tall the juniper is. A 12 foot tall tree takes 4 pellets which cost about $0.60 per tree. Cheaper and easier than cutting. And you just end up with a dead tree standing there.

I bought some pellets from Forestry Supply. Pronone pellets. They are suppose to kill juniper. One pellet for every 3 feet tall the juniper is. A 12 foot tall tree takes 4 pellets which cost about $0.60 per tree. Cheaper and easier than cutting. And you just end up with a dead tree standing there.
went to a tree program that NRCS put on a couple years ago, they had 2 skid steers, high flow hydraulics, one had a rotary drum ($50,000) the other was more like a lawn mower blades ($40,00) we watched them clean up a couple acres of ponderosa pine, burr oak, juniper and some iron wood. I about 45 minutes a jungle Looked like a city park. They went back later and treated the oak and iron wood stumps. After lunch we watched another skid steer attachment cut firewood to length and split into a nice pile. Seen a few firewood mills around here. Big sawmill only offered me $5/ton for my ponderosa, and that after they deck it and let it dry out some. Told them cost me more to spray the weeds when they were done logging, and then I still had to burn the slash piles.
Funny too the guys that wanted to come cut Juniper post have never shown up.
Thought a grad student could spend a couple summers doing a paper on meadow enrochment, and tree thinning. That show range improvement and also increase spring flow on prostrate spring.

Last edited:
I learned years ago from an Utah Star University professor that the average juniper drinks 2300 gallons of water a year. They are very efficient at getting water, surface or deep.

Latest posts