• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Junket to our Nations Capital (Canada)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
Every once in a while you get to mix fun with pleasure. I am a bit of a political junkie and took the opportunity to visit our Nations Capital.

Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings. Pm's offices on the left side second floor. The green tinge to the glass would be because of its bullet proofing.
Ottawa2011074.jpg

The Confederation Building next door where my Member of Parliament's office is located.
Ottawa2011073.jpg

Supreme Court.
Ottawa2011139.jpg

Trip up the clock tower to make sure the time is right.
Ottawa2011158.jpg

Pretty good view from there. Looking over the Library toward Quebec.
Ottawa2011163.jpg

Waiting for my MP Minister Menzies to come out to the scrum area to have a visit after Question Period.
Ottawa2011177.jpg

Many of the floors are marble. The stone mason has his work cut out for him here in the rotunda.
Ottawa2011187.jpg

Had a visit with Senator McCoy. Lots to talk about as she, her EA, and a guard toured my wife and I around the nooks and crannies most of us commoners aren't allowed to tread.
Ottawa2011201.jpg

Sir John A's original office as it was in the East block.
Ottawa2011202.jpg

Governor Generals office from the same time.
Ottawa2011206.jpg

Privy Council Chamber last used in the seventies. I would show you a pic of me sitting in the PM's chair but we are not allowed to do that. :shock:
Ottawa2011215.jpg

The Senators office.
Ottawa2011230.jpg

Parliament Hill from the Quebec side of the river.
Ottawa2011289.jpg

Had a good time and took lots of pictures as well as schmoozed with a bunch of political types. Ranching Politics can get you a ways from the ranch on occasion.

Thanks for taking us along.

Those are some magnificient, imposing looking buildings.
Every photo was interesting, per.
I think about all the work that went into those buildings,
there isn't anything like them being built today, I don't think.
How far away is the capitol from your ranch?

Again, thanks.

Faster horses said:

Again, thanks.

I would guess his ranch is as far away from the capitol as your is from Washington DC. :D :D

Per you got to see more then I did on my one trip down there. I was stuck in meetings in a big hotel across the river and it got dark pretty early. :roll:

Faster horses said:

Again, thanks.
Well it takes an hour to the airport, two hours of taking your shoes and belts and electronics off and on and sitting around, four hours at close to 500 miles per hour and another twenty minutes of ground transport and voila, you are right there from my place to the Capital. I used to like flying around but the closer together seat configurations and the hassle at the airport has diminished the fun.

glad to see you made it home safe and sound. the question is who staightened who out down there? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

or are you trolling for a new job? :lol:

hayguy said:
glad to see you made it home safe and sound. the question is who staightened who out down there? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Start as premier first ,as it looks like we got stuck with another Stelmach . :roll:

Great pics ! Thanks for posting them Per .

hillsdown said:
hayguy said:

Start as premier first ,as it looks like we got stuck with another Stelmach . :roll:

Great pics !
Ha, hayguy not really trolling but it never hurts to keep an eye on the sonar. Hillsdown I have a friend who would make a pretty darn good premier if we can get her elected and I guarantee she won't be another Stelmach.

hillsdown said:
hayguy said:

same good ol' boys club as far as i can see. change my a$$

hayguy said:
hillsdown said:
hayguy said:

same good ol' boys club as far as i can see. change my a$$
I don't think Alison can handle the ol' boys, cutting hard into her idealism. Not withstanding of course she is about a Liberal as it can get.

Shortgrass said:
If Parliament is like Congress, talking to them is easy, but getting them to listen is another matter.
Yes there are similarities Shortgrass but am a firm believer that minds can be influenced by building good relationships for when you need them. Otherwise we give them a free pass.

I was on the wrong side of the plane to see your house burnt. Thanks for the wave.

per said:
hillsdown said:
hayguy said:

Great pics !
Ha, hayguy not really trolling but it never hurts to keep an eye on the sonar. Hillsdown I have a friend who would make a pretty darn good premier if we can get her elected and I guarantee she won't be another Stelmach.

any idea what riding your friend will be running in?

hayguy said:
per said:
hillsdown said:

Great pics !

Highwood

Thanks for the pics, Per. Those buildings fascinate me and I would one day like to see them in person.
The pic of John A.'s office is particularly interesting to me, as much of how North America looks on a map was planned and determined in there.

per said:
hayguy said:
per said:

Highwood

There are quite a few of us thinking about becoming members of her party and backing her . If you can keep me in the loop I just may be able to get things moving here in the right direction.

per said:
Shortgrass said:
If Parliament is like Congress, talking to them is easy, but getting them to listen is another matter.
Yes there are similarities Shortgrass but am a firm believer that minds can be influenced by building good relationships for when you need them. Otherwise we give them a free pass.

I was on the wrong side of the plane to see your house burnt. Thanks for the wave.

Agreed!

HD, look me up at the Temple Grandin talk in Olds, Mrs Per and I will be there somewhere. Otherwise PM me.

Gcreek, there are other ways to sit in that chair. You just can't admit it and definitely can't post a picture.

The history of our country an indeed North American is carved into the walls in the stone. It is a fascinating place and there are some interesting accommodating people there. Certainly the language has changed a bit since I was last there. French and English were freely dispersed in the same sentence. When I worked in Ontario and Quebec in the early 80's it was one or the other and no comprise. We had staff that wouldn't speak to us in English and for sure we never spoke back in French. It seemed like a compromise has been reached.

Latest posts