• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just a dumb butt Texan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Going to add my 2 cents worth and that's about all it is worth. This may come as a total shock to some but a black hide does not make them all good, and neither does red with a white face make them all bad. Generalizing breeds on this site gets really absurd at times. I pay the AHA $100/ year for the privilege to delve into there vast set of records. It is quite evident why we on ranchers are impressed with Ned, Hereford76, Nortexsook, cattle, they follow a planned program that doesn't jump from this fad to that fad, or belong to the bull of month club. There are a lot talented reputation cattlemen and woman on this sight regardless of breed, but calling an entire breed or bloodline bad because of one incident is crazy. I have made more than my fare share of mistakes in breeding cattle, doesn't mean I haven't raised some good ones.

Soapweed said:
Hereford76 said:
herefords.us said:
Aladar, what bloodlines (or breeders' cattle) disappointed you this last time?

Edit: Aladar, if you prefer not to post that info on this board, feel free to PM me.

Probably same place soap got his "Hereford" bulls from. Sometimes it almost looks intentional. My new slogan for the aha... Polled the breed saver!

Fortunately they weren't fertile enough to give us very many calves. :wink:

Boy I sure hope someone from the slogan deptartment is reading this. Soaps last post would be a ringer. Alvadar had a good one too.... Hereford - being multigenerationally flushed.

All kidding aside, I kinda always hoped I'd get a chance to talk about soaps Hereford dabble. I just would like to know why you wanted to try using some Hereford bulls in the first place and secondly was that a full blown attempt or half assesd? I agree with what er herd said. In every community there are ranchers that kinda set the tone or are the joneses sort of speak. When they do somthing lots of others follow suit. I'm sure whoever sold soap those was pretty proud at the moment and I hope they are just as proud with the results. Just because an animal is born with them doesn't mean they deserve to use them. Like er herf said, I hope others don't base their decisions on specific instances like that.

Hereford76 said:
Soapweed said:
Hereford76 said:
Probably same place soap got his "Hereford" bulls from. Sometimes it almost looks intentional. My new slogan for the aha... Polled the breed saver!

Boy I sure hope someone from the slogan deptartment is reading this. Soaps last post would be a ringer. Alvadar had a good one too.... Hereford - being multigenerationally flushed.

Hereford76, it is you who is digging up old bones from the past. I complimented nortexsook on his nice Hereford bull, because the bull is a good one. I am willing to let sleeping dogs lie, but you seem to want to stir up a good little discussion.

Here is a thought I had on the subject, but decided not to post it unless someone blew on the embers. You did, so here goes.

Some Hereford breeders with really good cattle can laugh all the way to the bank. Others kind of shuffle in, with a crest-fallen face. :wink:

I guess I should have been a little more blunt in first post. Its not the cattle's fault if they succeed, its not the breed or bloodline, its the guy making the selections and the good lord. To those who choose to slam an entire breed, maybe should seek a little more knowledge.

Soapweed said:
Hereford76 said:
herefords.us said:
Aladar, what bloodlines (or breeders' cattle) disappointed you this last time?

Edit: Aladar, if you prefer not to post that info on this board, feel free to PM me.

Thats a strange thing to say,then why would you even bother putting hereford bulls in with your cows,if in the end your glad you didn't get very many calves??

I am gonna pick on Soap here a bit. If he would have purchased the same quality of Herfs, as he does his black bulls, he would have been pretty proud of the calves. I should qualify that statement, by saying I only saw 1 of them.

I've seen that over and over that people don't devote as much to one breed as they do the other. Many start out with a preconceived end result.
I've seen guys say they are gonna try something different but you can see their biases before they even start.
But the biggest thing I hate is the mudslinging about other breeds. Some breeds just arent made for the other guy. It doesn't mean they are bad.
Just dont compare apples to oranges and then complain that it tassted like an apple when you really wanted the orange in the first place

Interesting thread, and it just reinforces my reasons for not posting a lot of cattle pics :p
Personally, I'm not a fan of British cattle but appreciate good ones when I see them regardless of the breed, and all breeds have many good examples of great cattle.
If a person is serious about having great cattle they can accomplish their goal with any breed. If cattle are just numbers in a book then you very likely will end up going to the bank "kind of shuffling in, with a crest-fallen face".

We are all in this together
I see no need to ridicule another fellow producer on his choice of cattle and what fits his requirements

er herf said:
I guess I should have been a little more blunt in first post. Its not the cattle's fault if they succeed, its not the breed or bloodline, its the guy making the selections and the good lord. To those who choose to slam an entire breed, maybe should seek a little more knowledge.

:nod:

Sorry for mucking up your thread glen. My Hereford slogan comments were aimed at the folks that give aladar his opinions... I hope it didn't come off as I was referring to your bull. I don't think you are wrong about it either - wether you are talking about what wide based is or about being a dumb butt texan

Okay, boys and girls, nortexsook posted a picture of a very nice looking Hereford bull. The bull would look great no matter what color he was. He could be black, red, white, or purple, but the bull is built right and should stand up to anyone's high standards. I complimented nortexsook, because I genuinely liked the bull.

Probably the one who started the "fight" was aladar, but as far as we know, this is still a free country with a provision for free speech. Thus, he should be allowed to express his opinions. I take responsibility for saying too much in past posts, but if you will all take notice, it was Hereford76 who dragged me into this fight. From my personal perspective, I don't guess it is his business what kind of bulls get turned out with my cows. With him living two states away, there is not even danger of my poor quality bulls getting through a fence to contaminate his pristine herd.

I did turn these six bulls out with about 240 two-year-old Angus cows with their first calves at their sides. The Hereford bulls were turned out for ten days to two weeks, and then I added several Angus bulls to breed any cows not already bred. As it turned out, we got some nice white faced calves out of the deal, but the majority of calves born this past spring to these cows were completely black in color. Since Hereford76 was harassing me, I tried using a bit of humor to point the finger back at him. He took exception, and I think he left mad.

In the past most Hereford bulls were never turned out until they were two years old, while an Angus yearling bull can breed a lot of cows. Had I kept these bulls another year, they may have been cow breeding fools the second summer. The first summer they were probably just too young.

If someone would just mix a calving date comment in this thread we could really have an interesting debate. :wink:

Big Swede said:
If someone would just mix a calving date comment in this thread we could really have an interesting debate. :wink:

Ya it's all soap's fault cause he calves to early and feeds to much hay.

:wink: :D

and he uses a ATV and ropes his calves to brand. :lol: :lol:

geez i almost forgot he also uses some Vigortone. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Big Swede said:

Everyone picks on poor old me and George W. Bush. If it ain't my fault, it's his. All I can say is that we each have made the best decisions we could with the information at hand on a day to day basis. :)

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Big Swede said:

Everyone picks on poor old me and George W. Bush. If it ain't my fault, it's his. All I can say is that we each have made the best decisions we could with the information at hand on a day to day basis. :)

your just such an easy target. :wink: :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

There must be a bulls-eye on my back. :)

Or at least, a sticky note that says, "Kick Me Hard." :wink:

I didn't mean to look like i was picking on you Soapweed,i was just curious who wouldn't want a pen of good black baldy cows,you defiantly have the good black cows to start with! I guess you answered my question,a guy that prefers his cows to be all black.

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed said:

There must be a bulls-eye on my back. :)

Or at least, a sticky note that says, "Kick Me Hard." :wink:

It's the "I love Angus" bumper sticker on your walker. :wink:

I put a darn good HORNED Hereford out this year with 200 black cows and 11 black bulls. He stayed busy from what we could tell and came home this fall in better shape than his same age Angus competition.

We'll see how many baldy calves start falling out in another 4 months.

We still haven't seen Katrina and Justin's Herefords. :p

Latest posts