• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JUST A MOM!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.
She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job or are you just a...?"
"Of course I have a job," snapped the woman. "I'm a Mom."
"We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, "housewife
covers it," said the recorder emphatically.
I forgot all about her story until one day...I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar." "What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out.

*"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."*

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?"

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out).
I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are
more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

As I d rove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another Mom"
Motherhood! . What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!! I also think it makes
Aunts "Associate Research Assistants.

Pardon me ladies, but in my family, and my home, the title 'Momma' is always spelled with a capital M, and is touted as about the highest honor to be given to a lady, or a human for that matter. There are so many things a woman can do that a man just can't, and so many things a man can do that a woman just can't, I believe it can be safely said, there is no more of a logical 'union', than a kind man and a loving woman.

BTW, I'm feelin' sappy lately b/c the wife and I agreed to have another baby. YAHOO! :wink:

We have my daughter Baylee, from my first marriage, she was 9 in November. Then we have 2 boys of our own. Ronan is 2 1/2, and Bodi is 8 months. I had alot of cousins growing up, but I was an only child, and there were alotta times I remember bein so lonely you'd talk to your shadow. If we can have 10 kids I'm all for it, but the first 2 boys had to come out the front 'stead of the bottom, and since the doc can't just put a zipper in Momma's tummy, we'll only have as many as she can take.

I'm headin' home for the night folks. We've got a houseful of neighbors and friends comin to our place to meet the local candidate for the Canadian Green Party. He's a local farmer so we invited him to come and 'inform' us on what the Green Party plans on doin about the sad state of affairs our Prime Minister has caused, especially the bit about insulting the US government.

Anyway, I better not start or I'll be here all night when I should be at home. I invited everyone so I better git and do my share of the cleanin'.lol

reader (the Second) said:
It's time to leave the "battle" between the fulltime moms and women who work behind. It's more than 20 years old and outdated.

Women should do what they need to do to put the food on the table and make their families and themselves comfortable.

Whether you like it or not, there are even cases where the woman is happiest working and the husband is happiest as a house husband. It's not just in movies, there are couples like this, I know one myself very well.

When I went to work when my kids were 2 and 5 years old, I found two things -- first, it was VERY different taking my focus away from my kids alone to the work environment and second, the time management and people management and organizational skills I have learned being a mom and housewife (albeit a graduate student mom/housewife) transferred directly to business management skills.

There are implications when both parents work. My husband and I ONLY did family activities until our oldest was 11 years old. We had to forego couple time, couple vacation, and even personal time to spent all our non-working time with our kids. Our first vacation as a couple was after 30 years of marriage, a few months before he died.

I have friends and close relatives (women) who could not both work and raise kids; they hated being overloaded. I know many women raising children as single parents who have no choice. The cost of living in cities is high and unless one parent is a really good wager earner, both are often forced to work just to buy food and pay rent.

Fulltime moms work hard and do important work. Now that I am a single parent, even of young adults, when they are home I reprioritize so that I have enough time for them. More than when there were 2 parents.

By continuing to even pay attention to stories like Oldtimer's (which are increasingly rare), we are perpetrating the myth that there is a war on or that one group disdains the other.

Happy parents who love their children are the best parents and their children have the best outcomes. Unfortunately I can show you kids whose moms did not work who were indulged by one or both of their parents and who are troubled youth and fortunately I can show you kids who turned out great with a "career woman" mom.

Fine 'n dandy, Reader, we live 1-1/2 hours from Billings, cost of fuel makes it impossible for me to get a job outside the ranch unless I left my family and the life I love and move to Billings. Roundup is 1 hour away, a town struggling to stay alive. My husband and I are the only ones here, our daughter is in Jr High, she helps out on days off and weekends. We have a large garden, plenty of wildlife (and EXT's, NR) helps put the food on the table. I LOVED being home raising my kids and being there for them. I don't know why you have to pick a fight.

Nicky said:
Congrats Pure Country, you sound happy! How about some pictures of those youngsters?

I'll try and do that. We had some real good pics taken this summer by a friend of ours. She showed up with a van full of 'backdrops' and fancy sets with curtains and such, and we had the kids loaded in the truck ready to go. She thought we were going to take pics in the house or somethin', she'd never taken pics of kids runnin through the trees or climbin stumps. They turned out great though. She did a heckuva job. The wife got her to put them all on CD, so I'll see what I can do.

It's pretty tough to look at pictures of kids and not smile though. None so far have my blue eyes, they've got their Momma's beautiful brown eyes. The main thing is, they're all healthy, and yes, very happy.

Here I thought I'd just post a cute little tribute to mothers..

Never thought I'd start a catfight... :wink: :lol:

There are two theorys of how to argue with a woman---neither of them works!!...
Will Rogers

Pure Country---many congrats....keep us posted on how this thing goes!!! :D :D
As for stay-at-home vs working moms....I would give ANYTHING to have been able to be home with the kids when they were young...unfortunately, finances just never did dictate that.... I have heard of folks who just "tightened their belts" to keep mama home, but our belts were already on their last notch!! :cry: :cry: No way to feed 5 kids, pay bills and rent and such on what the hubby alone was bringing home!!! My sister-in-law is able to be home for the first time in almost 10 years and she is going stir crazy :shock: :shock: .....I would love to have been there...even for just a short time...would much rather work with the hubby than with some of the doctors I do now!! :wink:

Funny how this thread turned into an us vs them! I'm a firm believer in you do the best with what your given.On conception a guilt gene is implanted in moms body and never leaves, why would we as women tell another woman they didn't do it right.This is a gift we're given,and i've seen beautiful human beings come out of working AND non-working mom homes.

Mrs.Greg said:
Funny how this thread turned into an us vs them! I'm a firm believer in you do the best with what your given.On conception a guilt gene is implanted in moms body and never leaves, why would we as women tell another woman they didn't do it right.This is a gift we're given,and i've seen beautiful human beings come out of working AND non-working mom homes.

very true, mrsgreg!!!!! I guess I should have mentioned how very close i am to my sister-in-law.....she gave us her "weekly paycheck" job and now runs the household as well as does all the errands for her hubby's construction business!!! Never a dull moment in her house....I honestly think she works harder now than she did when she was "working" :wink: So, to ALL moms out there....hold your heads up high!! :D

Latest posts