• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just a question?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Buyer

Reaction score
Why don't I ever read anything about all the feeders comming into the U.S. from Mexico? There is a feedlot 40 miles south west of me that feeds thousands of them.

Buyer said:
Why don't I ever read anything about all the feeders comming into the U.S. from Mexico? There is a feedlot 40 miles south west of me that feeds thousands of them.

No Mexicans on here to pick on like the Canucks :wink: :lol: Maybe they can't afford computers....

Good question Buyer. Now one for you. Do you think the Mexican cattle produce beef of equal or better qualitry than Canadian feeder calves can provide?

Buyer, is that a new situation in your area? How do those numbers of feeder cattle coming into the US from Mexico compare with five years ago? Ten years ago? Have the breeds changed any in that time? What are the numbers of seedstock going from USA into Mexico in the same time frame?

We know feedlot people who have fed thousands of them in the southwest, and we recall that there used to be many thousands of them brought into even some of the northern states and run on grass then sold to feeders all over the mid-west. I really wonder how the numbers today compare with that, though I realize the cattle may be more or less going right to the feedlots and bypassing the stocker operations the calves formerly went to in WY, SD, CO, NE, or other states.

MRJ

OT, that was kinda of a bad joke you made there. There are likely some mexican ranchers who are a lot wealthier than you and I. :secret:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT, that was kinda of a bad joke you made there. There are likely some mexican ranchers who are a lot wealthier than you and I. :secret:

Oh I'm sure there are some :roll: - maybe they aren't as argumentative as the Canadians- or maybe they have to work and don't have as much free time as the Canucks......Anyway they ain't as much fun to make squeal as you guys are :wink: :lol: ......

Buyer said:

Actually R-CALF has been arguing and fighting against the Mexican cattle for several years...In fact in 1998 they filed a trade "dumping violation" against Mexico about the same time they filed against Canada- ITC ruled against them...

Manitoba_Rancher said:

I had a roomate in college who was from Laredo. He had some very, very wealthy "Mexican" friends that you could not tell they had any Mexican blood in them. The mothers would go to Mexico to have their kids so they could hold onto their estates they owned down there better.

OT- IS there any country that is connected to the US that R-calf actually has anything good to say about? Ive talked to a few US ranchers who feel R-calf is no more than a joke!! 8)

Econ101 said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

I had a roomate in college who was from Laredo. He had some very, very wealthy "Mexican" friends that you could not tell they had any Mexican blood in them. The mothers would go to Mexico to have their kids so they could hold onto their estates they owned down there better.

My inlaws had a Foriegn exchange student from Mexico he was white his family was very wealthy they had maids and housekeepers and such.He said he was'nt Mexican but Spanish and he referred to all the native's as peasant's.

Denny said:
Econ101 said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

My inlaws had a Foriegn exchange student from Mexico he was white his family was very wealthy they had maids and housekeepers and such.He said he was'nt Mexican but Spanish and he referred to all the native's as peasant's.

As we are slowly becoming.

MRJ said:
Buyer, is that a new situation in your area? How do those numbers of feeder cattle coming into the US from Mexico compare with five years ago? Ten years ago? Have the breeds changed any in that time? What are the numbers of seedstock going from USA into Mexico in the same time frame?

We know feedlot people who have fed thousands of them in the southwest, and we recall that there used to be many thousands of them brought into even some of the northern states and run on grass then sold to feeders all over the mid-west. I really wonder how the numbers today compare with that, though I realize the cattle may be more or less going right to the feedlots and bypassing the stocker operations the calves formerly went to in WY, SD, CO, NE, or other states.

MRJ No this is not a new situation here. But I do think it has picked up I can't give you any numbers. I do have a friend that might know he's on the beef board. I know one outfit that sold 4000 cows and are going to run Mexican feeders.

Bill, No the Mexican cattle I have looked at are not as good to mixed up yet. But they are buying better seed stock.

MRJ

Latest posts