• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just alittle bit more on Hats.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Saddletramp

Reaction score
This morning someone thought we've broke tradition for not having a lot of neighbors to help us brand. Then someone else jumped on us cause we wear hats. Dang, ain't it fun pleasing everyone.

Last fall we were coming back from our daughter-in-laws folks after Thanksgiving dinner. We stopped in Grand Island as I needed to use a restroom. We went into the big store,you know the one that starts with a capital letter and ends with Mart. As I went for the public restroom I noticed quite a herd of young folks standing around just hanging out. They all had pants way too big and hanging down off their butts. They nearly all had their caps on backwards or cocked off like they'ed just been slapped. the guys had ear rings and the girls had rings every wear else. They were all talking in trash Mexican, not spanish, Trash I wanna be a gangsta Mexican.

Well, I goes into the restroom and I have never seen a bigger mess in my life. And I have been in some big messes. The stools were full but not flushed. Gang slogans were smeared on the walls with crap. Yes crap. There was urine and crap on the floor. Slogans spray painted every where.

Well, I turned to leave and another guy came in and he spunned around and left ,too. As we were going pass the youth of that fair city, I heard some of them giggle and heard,Woo Hoo ride em' Cowboy"

Well, what can you do? You can't kill em' cause they'll just breed more. No need to try to teach them any manners cause it's obvoius it's not what they are interested in. So you just ignore em' and we went to find another restroom.

Slipped into a quick-mart and the restroom there was just about as bad. Gang griffiti all over the walls. A whole roll of toilet paper unraveled on the floor. The stool was a mess but at lest it was flushed.

Well, I wiped up abit and throughly washed my hands and started out the door. By now,Ol' Tramp was in a pretty bad mood toward his fellow man and I was ready to fight a big bear just to feel better.I had had enough of the big city.

Outside the door was two little kids, maybe two and maybe five or so. As I came out they were staring at me like I had something hanging off a handle bar or something. Now, Iv'e always got time for little kids and horses so I said," Guess you gentlemen are next." There was their Mom and Grandmother standing there and the Mom says'It's Your hat. They are just fasinated by cowboys."

Well, that did it. I hunkered down on my heels to their level and stuck out my hand. Darned if they didn't shake hands with me as I asked them where they was from. The Mom answered,"Memphis." I said "Say, You guys are on a big trip aren't you." The littlest one pulled up the leg of his baggy hammer loop pants and said,"See?" And he was showing me a brand new pair of gum soled cowboy boots. " Hey," I said "Them are nice." and I made a big deal about them. Then I said,"Here,Pardner put this on and show Mom what a handsome man you are." As I put my hat on his little head. Sure enough he reachs up with both hands and bends the brim wrong ways. Then big brother needed to try it on too.He did the same thing bent her wrong ways too. His smiled showed that he had some recent trading with the Tooth Fairy.

So we made small talk for a few minutes and I said I was sure glad to meet you two Cowboys. The Mom said Thank You as I stood up. I said 'You Folks have a good trip and welcome to Nebraska."

Now I'm not a very big fish. All my life Iv'e took care of someone elses cattle and Iv'e always worked for another man's brand.....But for a little while there in the dregs of the big city,and just because I was wearing a black Cowboy Hat, for a couple of minutes,two little kids fronTennessee thought I was a hero.

Great post Saddletramp, I really enjoyed that. I don't think anyone jumped you because you wear hats though, at least I hope you didn't get that from me. I admire anyone thats a hand, regardless of the headgear.

Doggoneit Saddletramp, now I got a big ol' lump in my throat! You are the man!

I'm about to go saddle my horse and go to my 4th brandin' in 5 days and I got another one tomrrow. With a day off then so I can maybe catch up on work around here. Hope you all have as good a day as I figure on havin'.

getting riled by a bunch of kids who hang out at w-mart????

come on.....let it wash right off your shoulders, in 15 years the same group will be there doing the same stuff, because they are pathetic. ( except for the ones who will bein prison)

only thing Grand Island has going for itself is the museum and the farm show....the rest can just dry up and blow away as far as I am conscerned

A fellow showed up the other day wanting to show a lady friend the hills on our ranch. He always calls and askeds and calls me "MY friend" but I couldn't remember him for the life of me. Anyways he shows up with a Biltmore Felt hat for me that he bought at a closing out of a western store. Well altho I am sort of particular about hat i accepted it from him even with the big feather hat band. Well some TP in the sweat band the featthers plucked and a steam kettle I now have a hat the I could wear for work.

My buddy from Wyoming was up at the Regina Bull Test sale when this guy from south of Number One highway wealks up with one of those feather catcher hats. My bud asked him if he saw the pheasant before it hit him in the forehead lol.

Saddletramp said:
This morning someone thought we've broke tradition for not having a lot of neighbors to help us brand. Then someone else jumped on us cause we wear hats. Dang, ain't it fun pleasing everyone.

Last fall we were coming back from our daughter-in-laws folks after Thanksgiving dinner. We stopped in Grand Island as I needed to use a restroom. We went into the big store,you know the one that starts with a capital letter and ends with Mart. As I went for the public restroom I noticed quite a herd of young folks standing around just hanging out. They all had pants way too big and hanging down off their butts. They nearly all had their caps on backwards or cocked off like they'ed just been slapped. the guys had ear rings and the girls had rings every wear else. They were all talking in trash Mexican, not spanish, Trash I wanna be a gangsta Mexican.

Well, I goes into the restroom and I have never seen a bigger mess in my life. And I have been in some big messes. The stools were full but not flushed. Gang slogans were smeared on the walls with crap. Yes crap. There was urine and crap on the floor. Slogans spray painted every where.

Well, I turned to leave and another guy came in and he spunned around and left ,too. As we were going pass the youth of that fair city, I heard some of them giggle and heard,Woo Hoo ride em' Cowboy"

Well, what can you do? You can't kill em' cause they'll just breed more. No need to try to teach them any manners cause it's obvoius it's not what they are interested in. So you just ignore em' and we went to find another restroom.

Slipped into a quick-mart and the restroom there was just about as bad. Gang griffiti all over the walls. A whole roll of toilet paper unraveled on the floor. The stool was a mess but at lest it was flushed.

Well, I wiped up abit and throughly washed my hands and started out the door. By now,Ol' Tramp was in a pretty bad mood toward his fellow man and I was ready to fight a big bear just to feel better.I had had enough of the big city.

Outside the door was two little kids, maybe two and maybe five or so. As I came out they were staring at me like I had something hanging off a handle bar or something. Now, Iv'e always got time for little kids and horses so I said," Guess you gentlemen are next." There was their Mom and Grandmother standing there and the Mom says'It's Your hat. They are just fasinated by cowboys."

Well, that did it. I hunkered down on my heels to their level and stuck out my hand. Darned if they didn't shake hands with me as I asked them where they was from. The Mom answered,"Memphis." I said "Say, You guys are on a big trip aren't you." The littlest one pulled up the leg of his baggy hammer loop pants and said,"See?" And he was showing me a brand new pair of gum soled cowboy boots. " Hey," I said "Them are nice." and I made a big deal about them. Then I said,"Here,Pardner put this on and show Mom what a handsome man you are." As I put my hat on his little head. Sure enough he reachs up with both hands and bends the brim wrong ways. Then big brother needed to try it on too.He did the same thing bent her wrong ways too. His smiled showed that he had some recent trading with the Tooth Fairy.

So we made small talk for a few minutes and I said I was sure glad to meet you two Cowboys. The Mom said Thank You as I stood up. I said 'You Folks have a good trip and welcome to Nebraska."

Now I'm not a very big fish. All my life Iv'e took care of someone elses cattle and Iv'e always worked for another man's brand.....But for a little while there in the dregs of the big city,and just because I was wearing a black Cowboy Hat, for a couple of minutes,two little kids fronTennessee thought I was a hero.
Saddletramp I think you can probably find those kids that were in the Wal-Mart store about anywhere nowadays. Where I live though (Tennessee) I believe they would have been ran out of the store. I have to maybe brag a little here when I say MOST Tennessee kids will treat adults with respect most noticeable when they say " Yes sir or Yes mam." In our local school system, Yes sir and Yes mam are not options for the most part they are required by practically all the teachers.

Northern Rancher said:
My buddy from Wyoming was up at the Regina Bull Test sale when this guy from south of Number One highway wealks up with one of those feather catcher hats. My bud asked him if he saw the pheasant before it hit him in the forehead lol.

my 6 yr old likes the pheasant feather in his hat. he shot the bird with his BB gun. I bagged a real nice buck last fall, and he thought the antlers would look cool on my hat! didn't want to belittle his ideas, so I am currently " thinking about it"

for a compromise, I told him we might mount them on the old feed truck!!!

tramp,"Now I'm not a very big fish. All my life Iv'e took care of someone elses cattle and Iv'e always worked for another man's brand.....But for a little while there in the dregs of the big city,and just because I was wearing a black Cowboy Hat, for a couple of minutes,two little kids fronTennessee thought I was a hero."

It takes a mighty man to stand down and walk away from punks and later bend down and indulge a couple little kids. (I guessing you don't travel in your worn out hat so they were wallering about on your best hat.) Saddletramp, you're a big fish the way I measure.

Saddletramp said:

You obviously are one of those who can wear the hat and the cowboy "look" with authenticity and authority you have earned. Great story. Bet that mom is kicking herself that she didn't whip out a camera and immortalize the "cowboy moment" her boys experienced.

You guys who work for others and especially you who see it as "riding for the brand" are a big part of the life-blood of the cattle business. Some of us who need help appreciate you guys more than you can imagine. This is from the perspective of a family who has known some great ones who were very important to our family........and a rare few of the other kind, to keep us more appreciative of "the good ones".

MRJ

Saddletramp,

Good JOB!! Right now my wonderful husband and my 12 yr old daughter are in Libby, ready to go into the classrooms and tell the kids about Provider Pals, (geared for middle school kids-grade 7,8) my spouse is a rancher provider, my daughter seems to connect with the 7-8 grade kids better. We get our word out for ranchers any way we can. CattleWomen, a WONDERFUL organization whose main existence is to promote BEEF - do a great job getting into the classrooms and teaching the students some very interesting things about Ag!!!

Anyone who is interested in joining CattleWomen, send me a P.M.!!

Latest posts