• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just something interresting from Iraq

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BBJ

Reaction score
Iraqi 'Super Troopers'
Thursday, March 23, 2006
By Capt. Dan Sukman

March 21, 2006
2335 hours

For the past couple days the remainder of our unit moved out of their tents and into new trailers. Our new accommodations are small, two-person trailers, about 12 ft. by 12 ft., but they certainly beat living inside a tent.

The trailers are similar to the tents in one respect — most of us won't spend much time in them. Still, I am lucky to be able to sleep in here most nights, compared to the many soldiers in our brigade who are spending tonight at a checkpoint or patrol base without the comforts of air conditioning or a mattress. They are using slit trenches for bathrooms rather than the Porta-Johns and shower trailers we have, and they sure as heck don't have access to laptops to write their journals in.

March 22, 2006
2300 hours

I am writing this entry having caught up on about half the work I've missed today. The large part of today was spent in a meeting with one of our units, the Iraqi army and the Iraqi police.

There were no cameras at this meeting, which is one of many that we go to on a daily basis. As a staff officer, meetings occupy a good percentage of my time. At every level in the Army, meetings are necessary to plan and accomplish missions, but meetings like these are a little bit different than most.

The meeting with our Iraqi counterparts lasts nearly four hours. The fact that it consumes a large portion of our time is not unusual. When planning out our day, for anything that involves a meeting or discussion with an Iraqi we double the amount of time we'd expect it to last with an American.

This is not because of some strange custom, but because every word spoken is spoken twice. Imagine having each word of a conversation in a board meeting or a chat with a friend repeated. It takes a lot of patience from both the U.S. and Iraqi soldiers, and is a credit to them and the many translators who work for us.

Sometimes the daily meetings are with Iraqis, other times they are internal meetings. It's not the same as charging a hill — the only fight going on is between you and your bladder. But getting our forces, the Iraqi army and the Iraqi police on the same sheet of music, so we all understand what we are doing, is vital to securing Iraq. Every word spoken (and spoken twice) at these meetings is another small step toward the goal of turning this country over to the Iraqis.

Helping the Iraqi police become capable of performing on their own is a mission that will not be completed overnight. As I said in my last entry, our leaders have figured out we are not killing our way out of this war, and that the Iraqi police and army are the key to us finishing this fight and coming home from Iraq for good.

It's helpful to compare how we are training the Iraqi police here to how we train our police at home. Think for a moment about the training required to become a state trooper in Vermont (I say Vermont because I watched "Super Troopers" last week). The state trooper goes through an academy for a number of months then off to a station where their training continues. It's an intense, lengthy process, and Vermont's trooper-trainees do not have to fight an insurgency at the same time.

We are producing dedicated Iraqi forces. Are they NYPD cops with 20 years on the job? Of course not. But they are improving every day

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188913,00.html

A US soldier goes to Iraq within a year of joining the Army. We're starting the fourth year of Iraqi Army and Police training and they still can't work on their own! It's good for a soldier to be positive, especially a Staff Officer. But as an American taxpayer, I want to know how long we're supposed to support this country?

Disagreeable said:
I want to know how long we're supposed to support this country?
Ahhhh finally. You admit you are a liar then when you post how awful we are for killing all those innocent Iraq civilians . You now want to know how long we are going to SUPPORT this country. Could it be that one reason you flaming liberal elitist are against the war is that you are selfish and wouldn't lift a single finger to help someone else. Well Disagreeable, we have a benefit to the war. It's over there. Get it....We are supporting them but we also are fighting somewhere other than where you live.

Red Robin said:
Disagreeable said:
I want to know how long we're supposed to support this country?
Ahhhh finally. You admit you are a liar then when you post how awful we are for killing all those innocent Iraq civilians . You now want to know how long we are going to SUPPORT this country. Could it be that one reason you flaming liberal elitist are against the war is that you are selfish and wouldn't lift a single finger to help someone else. Well Disagreeable, we have a benefit to the war. It's over there. Get it....We are supporting them but we also are fighting somewhere other than where you live.

ROTFLMAO! This one won't fly. I've been complaining about the cost of the war ever since I've been on this board. It's another sign of the incompetence of this Administration. Somewhere, sometime, someone is going to pay for this war in $$. We're spending 1.1 billion$$ a week in Iraq. Billions of it is unaccounted for. Civilian contractors are walking off with potloads of your tax dollars. And you don't mind? How generous of you. Those Republicans. They used to be considered fiscally conservative, but you're living proof those days are gone.

It really cracks me up how when someone corners dis the normal response she give is ROTFLMAO.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But...BBJ....Disagreeable asked a valid question that none of you have answered.

I know my guys in Iraq tell me they see it being another Korea. And that's not info from ABC CBS NBC FOX or CNN...that's right from the guy wearing 60 lbs of armor and sleeping with AR-15 in reach!! So, I'd say their info is far superior than any media.

What are yours and other thoughts on that question?

Hmmmm, maybe that should be another thread?

kolanuraven said:
But...BBJ....Disagreeable asked a valid question that none of you have answered.

I know my guys in Iraq tell me they see it being another Korea. And that's not info from ABC CBS NBC FOX or CNN...that's right from the guy wearing 60 lbs of armor and sleeping with AR-15 in reach!! So, I'd say their info is far superior than any media.

What are yours and other thoughts on that question?

Hmmmm, maybe that should be another thread?

I assume you are refering to the question about how long we should support this country? Well my opinion is, like I have stated in other threads, as long as it takes. This will not happen over night nor should it take 15 years. Yes there is a time in which we have to take a step back and consider if our efforts are moving forward, but I think you, dis, the media and many others are being alittle premature here thinking we should be further along.

What's your opinion as to a time frame?

I've never said it should be 'yesterday' but I do think that some "heat" should be applied to this newly elected gov't to ' get it together'. We heard SOOOO much about how good it was to have an election....and it was good....BUT we've really seen nothing that they can do on their own as of yet. They can't even agree who is in charge now!!!!

I know for a FACT that a camp was built for the IA by Amer. troops,stocked and fully supplied and barricade against attackers. They were to guard a pretty desolate section of road. Seemed like a good thing for them to start off with " on their own'. Well, after they were left with EVERYTHING they needed....fully trained officers and soldier, the whole she-bang guess what happened???

The guards took to sleeping to their nite watch....after several days of this and insurgents also noticed this and drove 3 trucks in there and blew them to kingdom come!!! I mean not a scrap is left.

Now, they were fully trained and fully stocked and armed to the teeth and just could not take responsibility. How many times does this have to be repeated???

I don't think we should " make public" a time line....but I do think the ruling authority in Iraq must be made SOMEHOW to understand that we will not be the forever 'sugar tit' for them.

If I had to give ya number answer...I'd say one more year and pull out 90% of the troops...and the end of the next yr....pull out everybody. That gives them a total of about 6 full yrs of actual hands-on assistance.

I've heard some here compare the Iraq situation to the building of our own country....can't do that. This is a different time and place in the universe...things happen here within hours compared to what took months then. That comparison is apples v. oranges.

kolanuraven I agree with you that we need to put a little "heat" on the Iraqis, but something we all have to understand is that these people have not been allowed to make decisions on their own for sometime now. I know I sound like a broken record but it's going to take some time.

As for pulling out 90% of the troops in a year, how is that? I keep hearing how we don't have enough troops over there and now you want to pull 90% of them out???? That to me sounds like a death sentence for the remining 10%. I say when it's time to go we all need to go, but I know that can't/won't happen. Here's a real life fact though, I'm not a military strategist so I'm not going to try and plan our withdrawl from Iraq. There are more qualified professionals doing that.

Well ,we never had enough troops there to start with!!!

Also, the 10% I stated to be those in s supervisory area...not " boots in the field" as per se.

It's just a mess!!!!

A US soldier goes to Iraq within a year of joining the Army. We're starting the fourth year of Iraqi Army and Police training and they still can't work on their own!

an American soldier with one year of service is standing in the ranks with soldiers with 3 to 6 years of service supervised by a nco with 4 to eight years of service, under a junior officer with 4 years of college (at West Point) and a few years of service. who gets direction from a senoir commander with many more years of training and service..

in fact it follows over two hundred years of steadfast tradition............

Steve said:
A US soldier goes to Iraq within a year of joining the Army. We're starting the fourth year of Iraqi Army and Police training and they still can't work on their own!

an American soldier with one year of service is standing in the ranks with soldiers with 3 to 6 years of service supervised by a nco with 4 to eight years of service, under a junior officer with 4 years of college (at West Point) and a few years of service. who gets direction from a senoir commander with many more years of training and service..

Just sad that Clinton threw out thousands of years of training and experience with his massive cutback in the services--Takes a long time to build back experience.....

Oldtimer said:
Steve said:

Just sad that Clinton threw out thousands of years of training and experience with his massive cutback in the services--Takes a long time to build back experience.....

:lol:

Latest posts