• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Just when you think you've seen it all

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I was driving down along the bunk after feeding hay to the hfr. calves.I have a couple portable wind breaks in 2 pens up near the bunk that I put in hoping to stop a run at the bunks at weaning time. These are pretty well built ones with about a 2 ft. length of 3/8 chain and a grab hook at each end for tieing the panels together. Well a calf was standing at the end of one panel and it looked like she had the end of the chain in her mouth but she had the hook of the chain stuck right through her lip. :shock: How was I going to get that out? Well I carry a pair of pliers on my belt so I managed to quietly get up to her and pull the cotter key and get the pin out hooking it to the chain. Once she was freed she just flipped her head and out came the hook.Dang it must be sore but I guess she'll heal.

After many similar experiences, I've come to the conclusion that one should never say, "Now I have seen it all."

wdcook said:
After many similar experiences, I've come to the conclusion that one should never say, "Now I have seen it all."

i've went from saying, i've seen it all now

to .....

i've seen it all now, for today. :lol: :wink:

my neighbor had a cow impale herself on the hayspike in the rear of his tractor. The tractor was idline at a gate and she simply ran headlong into it. It didnt kill her even though it went right into her chest.

Well it sounds like it ended up a lot better than it could have!

I always thought the only thing dumber than cattle were sheep and goats, seems like they are always tryin to kill themselves.
Soapweed posted a pic of one impaled on a pipe once and I dont know how many i have pulled outa deep mud,was out by the shed one time and heard this comotion and was a cow on her back in the water trough she fit perfect, tank was 3x10 and good and stuck.
good luck

Latest posts