• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kadoka South Dakota Bronc Match

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
We went up to The 6th Annual Badlands Invitational Bronc Match last night. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the bronc rides. I get too busy watching a hollering to take pictures. But here are a few that we did get.

Broncride026.jpg

Broncride025.jpg

Heading up there. I can't believe how green that country is. I love seeing that area, and always thought it would be fun to ride some of it, as long as I didn't have to be responsible for getting all the critters out of all of their hidey holes.

Broncride028-1.jpg

Lisa had a booth there. It was a good trip for her. Always kinda funny, that the first year you hardly ever sell anything, but the second year always turns out nice.

Broncride008.jpg

A pair of leggins that she just finished, and NO they aren't mine.

Broncride029.jpg

The stands were full, and they had an amazing turn out. The Matriarch of the family that put it on passed away the night before, but per her request, they went ahead and held the event. Cathy was a tremendous woman of Faith. We opened the sealed bids on the bids for the custom oil painting, and it went for $1200. All of which goes to the Morrison family.

If you are talkin about my neighbors, they didn't make it. But.... there were a few gentlemen on crutches being chauffeured around by slightly portly fellers. :p

Is there ever a time of year y'all don't were jackets? It's Aug. for crying out loud. :lol:

jedstivers said:
Is there ever a time of year y'all don't were jackets? It's Aug. for crying out loud. :lol:

It was chilly Friday evening, that is for sure, but it sure made up for it yesterday. She had a booth at the Cherry County fair, and it was a bit toasty.
I will have you know, we went almost 3 months with out jackets!

jedstivers said:

My mom's brother worked for my dad for a couple years when I was a twirp. His advice was always, "If the sun is shining, take a jacket. If it's cloudy, do as you want."

My dad tells of when he was a kid, they were haying several miles from home. Haying conditions weren't great that morning, so they had their noon meal early and were ready to leave for the hayfield. Granddad evidently felt a weather change in the air, so advised his fourteen-year-old son (my dad) to take along a jacket. The kid pooh-poohed the idea and said it was too hot to take a jacket. During the course of the afternoon a cold front blew through, and it got downright chilly. The kid's job was to be up on the stack with a pitchfork in hand. To prove his point that he didn't need a jacket, the kid also took off his shirt for the rest of the day. I am sure many "goosebumps" were present, but he hoped his dad couldn't see them from the ground, where he was sweeping hay with a team of horses. :wink:

The coldest I ever was in my life was on the 1st of Sept after this knucklehead 23 year old left for a 2 week construction job on Aug 18 without a jacket. Morning was 32, got to a high of 40 with a spitting rain and 30 MPH winds. I was driving a packer tractor without a cab, set still for a 12 hour shift praying for a flat tire.

ya.........I reckon it's about time to dig the long johns out again.

Dad would say I could take the long johns off when the barn swallows showed up in the spring.............back then ,there were times I thought they would never show up

It seems like the Badlands is all green from one end to the other, and that stretches from the south west end of SD, and NE, on east almost to the MO river, at least to well east of Wood, SD.

We drove up from Chadron one day a couple weeks ago, going up through Wounded Knee, to the top of Sheep Mtn. south of Scenic, through Scenic to hiway 44 and east to Interior, then on east on gravel, coming out near Kadoka on hiway 73.

A week later, we drove to Martin for a friends wedding, going down hiway 73 to hiway 18 and on west, and coming home drove up Hisle road to hiway 44, to 73 to Kadoka.

Yesterday, we drove to White River (to see a pretty good rodeo in a super facility on a COOL day, maybe a little over 70 degrees, cloudy, light breeze) and all the above places the grass was green as it gets, except for the light colored seed heads.

And today woke up to fairly cool moring, with LOTS of humidity. By noon it was blistering hot. Not sure how hot it got, but too hot to enjoy the day, IMO.

POINT: SD weather is nothing if not fickle! Any month of the year can see 70%, or below freezing at some time of day or other! We have seen it go from -40 early in the morning in Jan., to 60% above 0 at noon the same day. Not often, but it can happen when a chinook blows in from the west.

POINT TOO: the wind can blow any day of the year, especially when it will most trouble a person. That last part is my personal pet peeve added to the factual part.

Latest posts