• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kansas Cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jake

Reaction score
here's some of our cattle. Thought ya'll might enjoy them

Misc043.jpg

Misc048.jpg

Misc095.jpg

I'll try to take some more this weekend of the whole herd instead of just individuals

What do they weigh, slicked up?
Very nice looking cows, with sizeable, soon to be, saleable calves. Those brockle-faced rips are hard to beat, 3/4 or 7/8 black calves.
I also appreciate their condition for this time of year, the next six weeks they'll be "raising two".

Normally I'm conserned :? when I see a salt block as this means ( in most cases :???: ) there is no good mineral program in place - - - the cattle look good though :) so you must be doing something right :D :D

George said:
Normally I'm conserned :? when I see a salt block as this means ( in most cases :???: ) there is no good mineral program in place - - - the cattle look good though :) so you must be doing something right :D :D

They've got free choice mineral year round but the landlord on this piece is constantly moving the tire for some program so we put the salt blocks under a tree so that they dont' have to search so far for what the need most.

The cows weigh probably 1350 when in full flesh but are 5.5-6 frame cattle. Calves are looking great and the there is gunna be one heck of a set of heifers this year! These pictures are right on 2 or so months old. The pictures from this weekend are great pictures with a blur down the middle of all of them due to camera malfunction.

Jake said:
They've got free choice mineral year round but the landlord on this piece is constantly moving the tire for some program so we put the salt blocks under a tree so that they don't have to search so far for what they need most.

Nice looking cattle, Jake. As someone who has for many years summered cattle with other neighbors, I understand your problem. Sometimes just finding the salt bunk resembles hunting for Easter eggs. For the cows, it is probably the same way.

My theory is to put the salt and mineral bunk on an area that is already sandy, because it will get that way even if put on good grassy sod. There is no use tromping out a productive area. Near water is also a plus, because then they are sure to find it, and I can find it.

My cousin drew a cartoon one time. It showed a pickup traveling through a pasture, with tracks all over the hills. The caption read, "Happiness to a young rancher is finding a salt bunk full of water after a nice summer rain. Happiness to an old rancher is finding the salt bunk." :) How true.

Soapweed said:
Jake said:
They've got free choice mineral year round but the landlord on this piece is constantly moving the tire for some program so we put the salt blocks under a tree so that they don't have to search so far for what they need most.

Nice looking cattle, Jake. As someone who has for many years summered cattle with other neighbors, I understand your problem. Sometimes just finding the salt bunk resembles hunting for Easter eggs. For the cows, it is probably the same way.

My theory is to put the salt and mineral bunk on an area that is already sandy, because it will get that way even if put on good grassy sod. There is no use tromping out a productive area. Near water is also a plus, because then they are sure to find it, and I can find it.

My cousin drew a cartoon one time. It showed a pickup traveling through a pasture, with tracks all over the hills. The caption read, "Happiness to a young rancher is finding a salt bunk full of water after a nice summer rain. Happiness to an old rancher is finding the salt bunk." :) How true.

That is pretty true. Grandpa has issues finding it so he just trusts that they have mineral every once in a while.

Anybody else having fly issues this year? we weren't until recently with all the rains. The cows lost condition in just a week from the huge calves and TONS of flies. they were gunna put out fly blocks and spray the cows down this week.

Notice the good udders on them, and the good feet, where you can see them. That's some of our top criteria, too, as it must be yours.

Cal said:
Notice the good udders on them, and the good feet, where you can see them. That's some of our top criteria, too, as it must be yours.

Equal criteria for the following:

udder quality
high growth with moderate end frame.- Cows CAN NOT be larger than 6.5 frame or they hit the road after their next calf.
depth of chest-very important to us
good topline
muscling
easy fleshing
wean a great calf
all around eye appeal-there's something to say for having to look at them

The majority of our cows rebreed right back and the bull that runs with the fall cows usually likes to jump the fence to rebreed everything. They've been calving every 9.5 to 10 months the past few years so our calving season's all screwed up do to that ole tough hided bull.

shorthorn said:
If you want just send me about a semi load of them cows to Indiana. They will look good grazing this fall fescue.

I've got about 40 of them I'd like to cull but they won't let me. :roll:

You might even be happy with them. They just have enough wrong I wouldn't like them around because they eat the $$ but dad and grandpa say we need the extra cows.... I guess it's their money not mine...

Had to look twice at the first picture- looked like you had a cow with 6 legs. :D

That is a tad big for that frame size, but those deep cows will hide 150 pounds. I "always" run 1150# cows, but my cull cows in good flesh always (for real) weigh around 1300#. If they fit the country,they're just right.
Again; nice cows.

My dad wouldn't believe us when we told him the weight on a few fall calvers we pregged this spring. They were up at about 1350. We've got grass everywhere this year. Definate change from the past 4 or so of not having a measurable rain all summer. I can sure empathize with what "the real" jake is going through.

here's some pics of unworked calves from this past weekend.

FarmPicsLaborDay2005037.jpg

FarmPicsLaborDay2005041.jpg

FarmPicsLaborDay2005054.jpg

FarmPicsLaborDay2005043.jpg

Here's a bred mare I've been working with all summer to cure her cold back and touchiness after the past owner hit her with the hot iron. She's lost ground since I quit being able to work with her everyday.

FarmPicsLaborDay2005009.jpg

Latest posts