• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kansas school lunch video pokes fun at fed standards..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

This brings back memories of the 50's and 60's-- when you couldn't refuse any food you didn't want/like and the teachers ( who back then were the lunchroom monitors too- many of which had grown up during the depression that didn't believe in wasting any food) used to require you to totally clean your plate-- and if you got caught sticking the food you couldn't ear or the food you didn't like in an empty milk carton to hid it--- you were on detention...

The governments setting the school lunch requirements and dietary requirements goes back to the the Truman days-- but just like you shouldn't force feed folks, you should allow them to eat enough...
Altogether it should be left to the local school districts...

for any adult who thinks the kids are being foolish, go to a school with a son/daughter , niece / nephew, or grandchild...have lunch with them.... see for yourself.

obama's old lady set new rules....my kids can hardly stand the food, and they are not picky eaters....the stuff SUCKS,
I bet old Michelle Obama don't eat that food ! at least not while she eats on our dime!

My daughters have been coming home and saying they aren't getting enough food at lunch to. My youngest daughter has been going back for seconds and my oldest told me its not enough for a mouse to eat.

Faster horses said:
Which reminds me...our old neighbor used to talk about WWII and he
believed that one of the reasons we won the war was because we were
a nation of MEAT eaters and they were a nation that ate rice...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jigs said:
for any adult who thinks the kids are being foolish, go to a school with a son/daughter , niece / nephew, or grandchild...have lunch with them.... see for yourself.

obama's old lady set new rules....my kids can hardly stand the food, and they are not picky eaters....the stuff SUCKS,
I bet old Michelle Obama don't eat that food ! at least not while she eats on our dime!

Most of the lunches served at my son's school doesn't even appeal to me and I can eat just about anything.

I'm sorry but if the lunches are not good enough they still have brown paper bags.

We have gotton to where we want everybody to provide for not only our needs but our wants as well!

[/quote]good old PBJ sandwiches, oh wait you can't bring peanut butter to school

Thats the problem its the choices not getting it handed to us its the choices they are taking away :mad:

Faster horses said:
Which reminds me...our old neighbor used to talk about WWII and he
believed that one of the reasons we won the war was because we were
a nation of MEAT eaters and they were a nation that ate rice...

Why Do Americans Love Peanut Butter?
They fell for it during World War II.

By Brian Palmer|Posted Monday, Feb. 9, 2009, at 6:55 PM ET

Last week, Sen. Tom Harkin excoriated the company accused of knowingly supplying salmonella-tainted peanut butter to a free school lunch program, asking, "What's more sacred than peanut butter?" How did peanut butter become such a popular part of the American diet?

We can thank a vegetarian and a world war. Peanuts, which are cheap and high in protein, have been consumed in the United States for more than 250 years, but peanut butter wasn't developed until the 1890s
and didn't become popular until the 1920s, when it was first mass produced. The meat shortage caused by World War II made the creamy spread an American icon. By the mid-20th century, peanuts had transformed from a slave food to a nuisance to a staple.

Actually while all our food/industrial production was the biggest reason we won WWII-- many military logistic folks will give the recognition of what did the most to Peanut Butter- which could be so easily preserved and shipped around the world to our troops and our allies in combat rations....
From this developed the "PBJ" (peanut butter and jelly sandwich) that my kids and grandkids still love......

I do not know if it is true or not, but I was told that if you send a lunch to school, they will observe it to be sure it is healthy or not, and take away things that they deem not to be a good meal....

I am headed to the board meeting next week...time to earn the title of Town A-hole......

jigs said:
I do not know if it is true or not, but I was told that if you send a lunch to school, they will observe it to be sure it is healthy or not, and take away things that they deem not to be a good meal....

I am headed to the board meeting next week...time to earn the title of Town A-hole......

sic-em :!:

when our kid's graduated, i don't know who was happier us or the teacher's/principal for not having to deal with us anymore :lol:

hayguy said:
jigs said:

sic-em :!:

when our kid's graduated, i don't know who was happier us or the teacher's/principal for not having to deal with us anymore :lol:
I spent a little time in the Principals office as a kid and considerably more as a parent. :wink:

Like I said before- I disagree with the Feds deciding what should be or should not be fed- or the amount....Should be the decision of the local board or in the alternative the state...But since its the Federal government picking up most the bill they have told us what and the amounts for 60+ years....

I was curious so looked up the caloric intake requirements of these meals ...

For grades 9-12-- the minimum/maximum school breakfast requirement is 450-600--- and the lunch requirement is 750-850.... Total school requirement 1200- 1450 calories...

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/legislation/dietaryspecs.pdf

To compare with that- the study from Baylor University...

A girl aged between 14 and 18 who gets a moderate amount of physical activity needs around 2,000 calories per day, according to Baylor College of Medicine. A boy aged between 14 and 18 who gets the same amount of exercise needs between 2,200 and 2,400 calories each day. Younger teenagers around the age of 13 may require slightly fewer calories -- from 1,600 to 2,000 for girls, or 1,800 to 2,200 for boys.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/454049-daily-caloric-intake-for-teenagers/#ixzz274XIkEQz

Which if the medical study is right- then those same students should be receiving about 1000 calories for dinner/supper at home...

Oldtimer said:
Like I said before- I disagree with the Feds deciding what should be or should not be fed- or the amount....Should be the decision of the local board or in the alternative the state...But since its the Federal government picking up most the bill they have told us what and the amounts for 60+ years....

For grades 9-12-- the minimum/maximum school breakfast requirement is 450-600--- and the lunch requirement is 750-850.... Total school requirement 1200- 1450 calories...

A girl aged between 14 and 18 who gets a moderate amount of physical activity needs around 2,000 calories per day, according to Baylor College of Medicine. A boy aged between 14 and 18 who gets the same amount of exercise needs between 2,200 and 2,400 calories each day. Younger teenagers around the age of 13 may require slightly fewer calories -- from 1,600 to 2,000 for girls, or 1,800 to 2,200 for boys.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/454049-daily-caloric-intake-for-teenagers/#ixzz274XIkEQz

Which if the medical study is right- then those same students should be receiving about 1000 calories for dinner/supper at home...

But the experts always tell us Supper/dinner should be the smallest meal of the day. :?

Oldtimer said:
Should be the decision of the local board or in the alternative the state...But since its the Federal government picking up most the bill they have told us what and the amounts for 60+ years....

Dang the feds have all the money :roll: Wonder where they get it :roll:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

But the experts always tell us Supper/dinner should be the smallest meal of the day. :?

Yep- and that breakfast should be the biggest and is called by many the most important meal--- but in this day and age that has seemed to flipflop... When I was on the school board studies showed breakfast was the most often skipped meal by kids- the reason it was added to the school program.... Some dieticians/nutritionists today even take it further-- saying the daily caloric intake should be broken down even more and taken in thru 5 or 6 mini meals with your daily quota of red meat at about the size of a deck of cards :shock: ......

Latest posts