• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

keeping steers cool

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kelpies4me

Reaction score
We are having a heat wave in our area. The steers (black angus) are going in the barns and trying to stay cool but are making quite a mess. I would like to block them off. There is sufficient shade. The reason they go in the barn, is because it is partially underground, and has a stone foundation, and cement floor. Any insight on steers and heat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

alot of people around here set up water mists in the lots,doesnt take alot just a fine mist

Most of the dairy's around here use those big misting fans under a shade of anykind, them cows seem to like it.

If there's shade outside I'd just leave them be. The barn can't be that hard to clean if it relieves some stress on them.We've got ponds in every pasture so if they feel the need they can go wadeing.

My goodness are ya'll running cattle or raising show poodles?

Our average summer has 40+ days above 100 degrees and the cattle get no special barns or fans or treatments. Find a tree if they can (not too many in western Oklahoma).

We've gone too far in treating cattle like pets.

We don't have any shade trees in our pastures either, and it's just miserable here for about 4-5 months of the year.

Just make sure they have access to water, they should be just fine.

I have noticed that when it gets extremely hot, the cattle will lay up during the hotter part of the day, and will graze quit a bit after the sun goes down.

bart.

<><

I'm all for leaving them be :) It's just that the area of the barn they go into does not have a large enough opening for a skid steer, and it's making one he** of a mess. As I kicked one out of the barn the other day- after it made a mess of another area of the barn I cleaned out already, I just thought I should ask the experts if they *need* this cooling off area. We've got lots of shade, so I believe I will be shuttin' the barn door today.

Don't let them get used to shade and they'll be fine. Once acclimated, they do fine. Water is the key. Also make sure they have plenty of salt. I went to school and worked in NY, your not much different then us in Southern Maine. This heat wave isn't comfortable, but they'll be fine. If you have above ground water lines, check the temperature of the water tank, may need to dump it and flush the lines. Try to let grass grow over the lines and not let it get over-grazed.

Go eat grass and get back to work you bums!

I have always believed in breeding cattle adapted to the environment, rather than going to the expense of trying to adapt the environment to the cattle.
Market requierments can be addressed by crossbreeding onto the adapted breed, there are enough heat adapted genetics available in the USA both Bos Taurus and Indicus, pure and composites to give the choice for an adapted base breed or for a planned crossbreeding program.

nortexsook said:
My goodness are ya'll running cattle or raising show poodles?

Our average summer has 40+ days above 100 degrees and the cattle get no special barns or fans or treatments. Find a tree if they can (not too many in western Oklahoma).

We've gone too far in treating cattle like pets.

I'd have to agree with Nortexsook! Cows are planty tough enough to handle the heat. Some of ours walk ten miles to water every day. What amazes me is the horse folks who blanket their horses every night. If some body is heading to a show I'd see the point. But folks in the big town over east of here blanket their horses all dang winter. :roll: It's a wonder they dont government mandate it for mustangs as well! :shock: :wink: Let your steers be steers and they will do just fine with the heat. Keep them fed and watered and shade is just gravy! :wink:

Why do you what to keep your steers cool
The end point is near kinda corn fused

This is one of the fights I'm up against, one of the motivations being involved with Farm Bureau. The following is from our State Animal Welfare Laws:

5. Livestock. Livestock must be provided with shelter suitable for the health
of the animal. Livestock must have access to a constructed or natural shelter that
is large enough to accommodate all livestock comfortably at one time. The shelter
should be well drained and protect the livestock from direct sun, rain, wind and
other inclement weather. Notwithstanding this subsection, shelter for equines must
be provided in accordance with subsection 2, paragraph B, subparagraph (1). For
purposes of this subsection, "livestock" includes large game as defined in Title 7,
section 1341, subsection 5 kept at a licensed commercial large game shooting
area as defined in Title 7, section 1341, subsection 1.[ 1999, c. 765, §12 (AMD) .]
http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/aw/documents/2009-ANIMAL-WELFARE-LAW-BOOK.pdf

And I thought we had problems with the wolves.., God save us from misguided idiots with access to a legislature. I certainly hope this sort of nonsense never makes it's way out west. I agree with the other posts, they will do just fine without shade as long as they can get at plenty of water and salt. of course with that a guy dose'nt want to unnessesarly rile them up or work them in the heat of the day, EARLY in the morning or evening for that. I would be tempted to just leave the barn door shut anyway unless one of these state people showed up then get it open for them to see if you can. :)

Wish Cass Sunstein as a Czar, be afraid, be very afraid.

This law I referenced is complaint driven, it is only enforced if somebody makes a complaint. If I get a complaint, I will not be able to properly manage some of my pastures, it's really that simple. How are you supposed to turn hay fields into pastures and follow this law? Grassfed beef needs to be finished on your best land, that land doesn't usually have a lot of trees. Plus they transfer nutrients to the shaded areas.

>>Grassfed beef needs to be finished on your best land, that land doesn't usually have a lot of trees. Plus they transfer nutrients to the shaded areas.<<

Most liberals tout grass fed beef and the like but one of their weaknesses is that they are generally incapable of second, third, or fourth order thinking.

Hey Ben H, yeah I see what your talking about now. Its just too damn bad any more a guy has to worry about what some nonproducer might think or say and be able to get the goverment to help carry out their spite, as far as the grass fed thing goes I agree with your assessment of liberal thinking prosesses Nortexook , but , in the right conditions and right places if there is a strong market for grass fed I would consider it too if a guy could make more money in the end than in commercial cattle why not? It's still good old straight honest business, supply and demand. If enough liberals or anyone else is willing to pay a higher price for grassfed and you can supply it then by all means I would do it too :)

If anyone has links to any research showing what kind of cattle need shade at what heat index, or research showing they don't need it, I'd appreciate it. Part of me says I would be willing to compromise and ave to have shade/natural shelter over a certain heat index. But you can't have the same index for a Brahma and a Scottish Highlander.

There was an article I read last night in the newest SGF last night about something to do with grazing genetics. It mentioned how the author had one Jersey cow that would be out grazing and making trips to the the water tank and back to the grass while the rest of the herd would be in the shade panting with their tongue hanging out.

Another producer and I met with the State Vet on Wednesday about animal ID, at the end of the meeting I asked him about this shade issue. He agrees that it's way to broad an unnecessary, but as the law is written they have to tell you to provide shade if someone makes a complaint.

Here's a fool proof idea......a GATE.................. and keep'em out of the barn,

Ben H, when I lived in Raeford NC, the local extention officer brought the cattle and pasture department heads from Duke University, it was 100 F and 100% humidity, they had been visiting herds in the surrounding counties, they were amazed that at 3.30 pm my cattle were still out in the pasture, grazing despite having access to a large wooded area. Thousands of years of selection for daytime grazing, have resulted in a unique grazing pattern in southern Sanga breeds.

Latest posts