• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kenny's Stories, #1

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I had mentioned putting some of Kenny's stories on this site and got a lot of encouragement. Ken is a cowboy from Western Montana that got kicked in the head in 1988. As a result he is totally handicapped, but his thinking is fine. He has put together some short stories of his life and his work. Here is the first one I have chosen to share here. I hope you enjoy it. I intend to share some others as time goes on. They are fairly short, so I might put a couple in at a time. Please let me know if you think they are worthy. Thanks to everyone for your support.

#1:
Tim Tew, Dave Stenson, and I were riding sagebrush park country one day. Dave was riding a very green colt, all that the colt was doing was following our horses. We started down a hill into the timber on a trail. Tim looked back at me and nodded at me, I knew what he was going to do. We started down the trail at a hard trot. The trail went under a tree that was leaning against another tree. There was enough room for a horse but not for a rider. We ducked around the trap, but Dave's horse didn't and left Dave hanging in the tree. We were laughing so hard his horse about got away!
I had a dog named Murphy who would jump where I patted if I said his name. Four of use were riding back to the barn one day, Dave was riding a green colt again. We were riding at a walk, Dave was on the left side of me. I leaned over an touched his colt on the neck and said Murphy. When he hit the colt in the neck, the colt went to spinning to the left like a champion raining horse. Dave was a good rider and stayed with him, a lot of riders would have bit the dust.
Roxy Kerns, Tom Davis, and I were pushing yearly steers back up country one day when I saw that they were going by the creek crossing. So I started down a ridge at a hard lope to turn them across. While I was going down the ridge we jumped a sagebrush. On other side of the bush we started to have some trouble. There was a badger hole hid, when Hubert stepped in it he went in to a roll, Hubert was the best all around horse I ever rode but not this day. When I was on top again after the first roll, I started to push off, when I was about half off, I remembered I was wearing over shoes in oxbow stirrups. So I had to pull myself back on again, for the next roll over. This time when I came up I had my feet out of the stirrups, so I pushed off again. When it was all over Hubert got up and started to take off, so I got up to try an catch him. I took about two steps and decided there was something more important to do. So I got down on my knees and stuck two fingers in my mouth and started digging the mud out so I could breath again. In little while Tom showed up with Hubert and we went back to work.

I went to a team roping one Sunday at Jack Kelly's, I was riding Sacket, I had sold my good roping horse. He was new at it an had a bad habit of running on the wrong side of the steer and making me head by roping under his neck. This time I caught the steer but when we turned left he clipped the steers hind feet with his front feet and we went down. I forgot to undo my dalles so when the steer hit the end of rope he pulled the horse in too a roll over me. I had pushed off but I pushed off the wrong side. I lit on my back with my feet on top of the horse. So when he rolled over it was on me, he brought my feet up and put my knees in my ears. And once again I had to stop and dig the dirt out of my mouth to breath, you would think I would learn to keep my big mouth shut. The next day I had to roll out of bed onto the floor an crawl to the door and pull myself up to get to my feet.

Faster horses,you tell Kenny I enjoyed the stories and Happy Thanksgiving for me,.......................good luck

Thanks Haymaker, I will tell him. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

Here's another one I couldn't resist posting:

Another morning we were about to go riding and I had canker sores on the roof of my mouth so I grabbed a bottle of liquid we use for sterilization to rinse my mouth out with, but iodine comes in the same style of bottle and I got wrong one. After you rinse with iodine I couldn't spit for two days but it did get rid of sores.

Brings back memories of when I was much younger--someone was always sticking something under the tail of the colt you were riding/ or daring some stunt...First bone I broke was when I was about 13 showing off to a young neighbor girl by doing pony express mounts and vaults and stuck a riding heel in a big hole--Broke about 20 more in the future years-had more than once when I had to crawl out of bed and pull myself up with something- Makes you thankful you survived this long ...

Oldtimer said:
Brings back memories of when I was much younger--someone was always sticking something under the tail of the colt you were riding/ or daring some stunt...First bone I broke was when I was about 13 showing off to a young neighbor girl by doing pony express mounts and vaults and stuck a riding heel in a big hole--Broke about 20 more in the future years-had more than once when I had to crawl out of bed and pull myself up with something- Makes you thankful you survived this long ...

OT, sounds like you qualify as a slow learner. :wink:

Good Stories.

In the combination of years of cattle and horses, some wrecks are inevitable. I have had my share but the only broken bones I got was when I bucked under a bareback horse and he tramped on me breaking a couple ribs.

One night down at the local "Cowboy Playpen" we made up this event.

Saddle a bull – ride him out – pull your saddle – run with the saddle in tow to a finish line – "Time"

The first night all went well but then our team got ta thinking - - we put a pin in the chinch with a rope on it - - (pull the rope – pin comes out – saddle comes off)

I drew the lucky straw and got to ride the bull - - Mr. Thunderbird got me bucked off - - I was sitting in the arena laughing when that ol bull hit the end of the rope tied to my left hand – the loose saddle went up in the air and came down on my brand new hat that was keeping my head warm and my lights went out :oops:

Been There said:
Good Stories.

In the combination of years of cattle and horses, some wrecks are inevitable. I have had my share but the only broken bones I got was when I bucked under a bareback horse and he tramped on me breaking a couple ribs.

It is still a mystery to me how anyone can ride on a bareback horse.
Like the Indians used to do and shoot at the same time?? :shock:
I tried just staying seated on JingleBob's bareback horse and slid off as it walked. He must keep em greased for us greenhorns!

Faster Horses, tell Kenny we hope he never gets writers' block. :D

Been There are you related to Has Been ? Just noticed the Sandhills part.

Kenny's stories opened a new format for Coffee Shop, about wrecks.
Old Timer mentioned sticking something under a horse's tail, causing him to buck.
It used to be a common prank for two riders to lag behind another, wherupon one would toss the end of his rope to the other, then they would ride behind the unsuspecting rider's horse, jerking the rope up under his tail, often causing him to get bucked off and maybe getting hurt.
Thankfully I haven't heard of that happening for quite awhile so maybe we have gotten more sensible.
It was sometimes hard on the rider and sure didn't do the horse any good.

Y'all eat all you can hold today.

Latest posts