• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Key, Carhart, Filson

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Chore coats and bibs for years were Key, When I milked cows, I had like 3 Key chore coats that could be thrown in the washing machine. One fall after selling calves I had a pretty good check and was off to Idaho Falls and was going to upgrade to Carhart. Well had enough jungle in my pocket and after looking at wither chore clothes (was no longer getting under milk cows twice a day) and also was feeding round bales with a cab-less tractor, I said heck with Carhart and bought some Filson packer coat with a zip invest liners. Still have a few of the sip in vests, got a few of their nice wool vest, and a double wool packer coat, that makes up for a tractor without a cab, it ok for riding on very cold days, but if you going to move much it is too warm. Hear people say Filson cost too much, but it still in the closet when you are throwing out cheaper stuff. Just like Penelton wool shirts :)

Yep, good old quality USA-made clothes are still the best for ranching. Filson is Seattle-made and still the best. Red Wing USA-made boots are still tough. We are lucky to still have a cobbler and a bootmaker so reheeling is affordable. Last year I started buying vintage clothes that looked unused from individuals on Poshmark. I now have enough heavy USA-made denim jeans to last me for life. Even if I was still able to actively ranch, these old quality USA-made heavy all cotton denim jeans would last for years, probably life. I haven't had a Pendleton wool shirt or coat for years. No need for my current sissy lifestyle here in the banana belt. :ROFLMAO:

They were once made in Pendleton but as of 1923 made in Portland. I had an old Pendleton made blanket that I gave away many years ago. It is worth some serious cash these days but the young lady I gave it to is holding on to it.

I have Filson wool coat and vest. Wear Danner boots made in Portland. I have a Filson wool coat that my grandfather bought in the 40's. It better be a cold day if you plan to wear that coat. Back when I was falling timber I went through Filson double layer tin pants. They were pretty much water proof yet didn't cause you to sweat like rain pants will. I have always a Filson packer coat. If I ever get one I won't need as many layers in the winter.

Pendleton isn't made in Portland. Their factory is across the river in Washougal WA.

I have Filson wool coat and vest. Wear Danner boots made in Portland. I have a Filson wool coat that my grandfather bought in the 40's. It better be a cold day if you plan to wear that coat. Back when I was falling timber I went through Filson double layer tin pants. They were pretty much water proof yet didn't cause you to sweat like rain pants will. I have always a Filson packer coat. If I ever get one I won't need as many layers in the winter.

Pendleton isn't made in Portland. Their factory is across the river in Washougal WA.
At least it's still in the USA.

I know their headquarters are in Portland. I didn't know they had a Washougal factory. I wonder when they moved their manufacturing? I wonder if their tags say Washougal or Portland? They must have found Washington better for manufacturing than Oregon.

I know their headquarters are in Portland. I didn't know they had a Washougal factory. I wonder when they moved their manufacturing? I wonder if their tags say Washougal or Portland? They must have found Washington better for manufacturing than Oregon.
The Washougal plant has been there forever. My Dad ran the plywood mill in Stevenson in the 70's came by there every weekend. At that time they had a store where they sold factory seconds. He bought several shirts there. I worked down past there in 1980 & 81 those buildings certainly weren't new then.

Edit: I looked it up they have been operating the Washougal plant since 1912.

The Washougal plant has been there forever. My Dad ran the plywood mill in Stevenson in the 70's came by there every weekend. At that time they had a store where they sold factory seconds. He bought several shirts there. I worked down past there in 1980 & 81 those buildings certainly weren't new then.

Edit: I looked it up they have been operating the Washougal plant since 1912.
Thanks! I didn't know that and always thought their factory was in North Portland.

PS I just asked my friend that has been in Oregon and Washington all her life and she says yes, the carding and weaving are in Washougal and Pendelton. The corporate offices are in Portland and the place in North Portland is a scouring plant. I had no idea that Pendleton still had a manufacturing plant.

I just found the Pendleton mill and store website and can't believe I have been here all these years and didn't know it was there. They even have tours. It is still where the original plant was. I am disappointed in myself but yet happy that I have a place to visit in the area that I haven't been to. In my own defense, it is tucked away back on Court Place.:)
l.jpg
caption.jpg

Last edited:
Time for me to admit myself to the Ranchers hall of shame. :ROFLMAO:

But but FH, did you ever rope the fake cows by the freeway underpass?
No but got pulled over for my passage roping car antennas , 4 cop cars took us passed the dorm and surrounded us in from of the Sorority houses in Laramie

Latest posts