• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Land leased for cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jbraddock

Reaction score
Hello - I'm new to this website and to the cattle business for that matter.
I'm hoping to tap into this forum for feedback on how i can lease out my property for cattle grazing so any feedback would be much appreciated because i'm starting from scratch.
I own about +/- 250 acres of property north of Jacksonville, FL. It's dense with trees but there is a fence around it. The primary income generator, up until now, has been timber but lately we've been having problems with unsolicited hunting and general trespassing on the property. I'd like to maximize my profit but more than that, I want to eliminate the liability that may come from negligent activity on the property consequent from trespassing so I'm hoping that i can find a cattle operator that might find value in my land. Can anyone recommend a step by step guide as to what i need to do to get my land ready to lease??

Thanx in advance.

You said it's fenced. Is it fenced well enough for cattle, 4 strand would be good, 5 strand better if on highway frontage.

Is there a reliable water source like a tank(pond), well or water service?

Is there actually any grass. Cattle don't do well on pine needles.

Advertise on the bulletin board at your local sale barn or put an ad on Craigslist.

Make sure both parties sign a lease agreement, like who is responsib le for fence repairs, who is responsible for the cost of the repairs, liability insurance, how many head on the property, etc.

Good Luck, and welcome to Ranchers :D

bart.

i have seen lots of options offered.such as

cash rent
by the head
by the day
by the pound
by the pairs
by the acre
rent for clearing,fencing or labor

and so on,hope this helps

thanx for the advice bvrellen.

there is no pasture on this property so either I or somebody else would have to rid the land of the pine needles. and there is a pond on the property. it (the property) does not have a barn, or equipment for that matter. basically, in an effort to keep my costs down, i'd be hoping to solicit a self sufficient operator who can take the raw land and make it how they want it. If they can clear the land, all the better as far as i'm concerned.

what's the best way to set the rent price?? price per acre or number of cattle??

In order to make leased ground work with cattle it would need to have water and feed available for the needs of the livestock. If a person had to improve the land before starting to see any benefits to their cattle, I don't know that a lot of producers would be interested in a lease. Now if the ground was for sale, then maybe the investment would look better as the improvements would be for their own ground. My point is without a lot of improvement to the land it doesn't sound like grazing would work. And then what would be the point of leasing it for that purpose?

I would recommend talking to the surrounding land owners/operators. If one of them could incorperate it into their existing operations wether they be logging, hunting or cattle, they may give you the best value of anyone. If they are good people and good operators you may not have to worry if the check is good or if they are actually doing what they are supposed be going on the land. For me if I was an absentee land owner, having someone whom I can trust renting it is worth quite a bit in terms of peace of mind.

Brian

Hello, I live in Florida, too. Our family leases out part of our land to a family for a hunting lease. We didn't want to but we were over-run by poachers, too. We run cattle on the property and use it the way we normally do but the family that leases has a hunt camp and we try to stay out of their way when they come for weekends and such. We have a very good relationship with them. They have effectively kept illegal poachers off our property.

A hunting lease is a darn good idea, Flcowgirl.

If the property is real brushy, running goats is an option. Opening it for horse trail riding may be an idea also.

bart.

Depending on where you are you might find people who want to have mock or real foxhunts or steeplechases. I had a colleague that took Wednesday mornings off during the winter down here to jump fallen trees with a pack of other crazy people. He would come in around noon those days with a spring in his step and stories to tell! If the land is in timber that would be superb! A dozen or so well-placed fallen trees and boom! you have a great race!
We will not discuss insurance or liablitity here!

Jbraddock said:
Hello - I'm new to this website and to the cattle business for that matter.
I'm hoping to tap into this forum for feedback on how i can lease out my property for cattle grazing so any feedback would be much appreciated because i'm starting from scratch.
I own about +/- 250 acres of property north of Jacksonville, FL. It's dense with trees but there is a fence around it. The primary income generator, up until now, has been timber but lately we've been having problems with unsolicited hunting and general trespassing on the property. I'd like to maximize my profit but more than that, I want to eliminate the liability that may come from negligent activity on the property consequent from trespassing so I'm hoping that i can find a cattle operator that might find value in my land. Can anyone recommend a step by step guide as to what i need to do to get my land ready to lease??

Thanx in advance.

Latest posts