• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Land Sale of the Week:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Not often do you see Union County, South Dakota farmland come up for auction because land is so tightly held in that area. But that was the case Friday, March 28. The property located northwest of Elk Point featured 155 acres and had 149 tillable acres. The farm has a corn base of 61.5 acres with an FSA direct yield of 93 bu. per acre and a 87.7-acre soybean base with a direct yield of 33 bu. per acre. The PI (productivity index) on the farm was 69.2.

The farm also included a bin site with grain bins and a dryer used only in the 2013 season. The farm's non-tillable acres consists of the bin site, waterways, driveway and road. The topography is level to gently rolling. The new purchaser was awarded immediate full possession to either farm or to lease out for 2014.

The farm sold for $8,000 an acre.

Chuck Sutton, Auctioneer & Land Broker, Sioux Falls, handled the auction.

http://www.agweb.com/article/land_sale_of_the_week_union_county_south_dakota_NAA_Mike_Walsten/

My question is what is a "The farm has a corn base of 61.5 acres with an FSA direct yield of 93 bu. per acre and a 87.7-acre soybean base with a direct yield of 33 bu. per acre. "

Do they get a payment for that many Bu/acre or can they only grow that many acres of corn and beans?

Direct payments are a thing of the past with the latest farm bill I believe. You can raise whatever you want these days.

that is what it used to mean..now with revenue assurance it is all based on commodity prices and yields.

I would sell my place for just a little more than that!

Might seem high today. Ten yrs from now it may look cheap. But then again who knows, it's a crap shoot.

My son and I decided the farm for sale that is in between 2 farms he already owns would be worth $5,500 per acre

He went to the auction Tuesday without me and we now own it but he did pay $6,500 per acre - - - more than what we wanted but how often will a farm come up in between 2 you already own?

How many pieces have you bought that seemed too high at the time George, but after a few years you're glad you bought it. I'll bet this piece will be the same. :)

Are you planting corn yet?

George said:
My son and I decided the farm for sale that is in between 2 farms he already owns would be worth $5,500 per acre

He went to the auction Tuesday without me and we now own it but he did pay $6,500 per acre - - - more than what we wanted but how often will a farm come up in between 2 you already own?

it's better than someone else owning it, congrats. :)

Justin said:
George said:

it's better than someone else owning it, congrats. :)

I agree. If you hadn't bought it you would be kicking yourself for years for
letting it go to someone else. It's not like you wouldn't be reminded, because it's right there everyday for you to see. Enjoy owning it!

Big Swede said:
How many pieces have you bought that seemed too high at the time George, but after a few years you're glad you bought it. I'll bet this piece will be the same. :)

Are you planting corn yet?

I really feel we should have passed - - - but I am very conservative.

No we are normally done planting corn and have a good start on soybeans by now but we have had 9" of rain so far this month and still averaging about 15 to 20 degrees below normal - - - we just had 3 days in a row with no rain and it feels weird - - - about 3 to 5 more and we will be going round the clock - - - with the auto steer and computer monitors we can plant thru the night with no problem. If things go right we can have all 2,300 acres in the ground in about 10 days.

My last 3 land purchases were

40 acres $562.50 an acre lower hay meadow 35 acres open

320 acres 1/2 pasture 1/2 hay ground $800 an acre

120 acres 100 acres pasture 20 acres hay ground and building site $1200 an acre.

All have abundant water all have drainage ditches sending it south to the Mississippi

Or maybe it's that 'wrapping' your head around anything to do with insurance these days will result in a 'warped' head!

mrj

Latest posts