• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

last american cowboys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Good question, cowhunter. There are many reasons. One if that if
you have farming to do, you want to get calving out of the way
before you start farming. Another is irrigating. And the biggest one
is that the early born calves weigh more at shipping time. Some people
are set up to calve early, but they have lots (big corrals) that they
can bring the cattle in to watch, or they have good naturall protection.
Didn't look like the Galt ranch had either.

Watching the ranchers in that storm, knowing you are going to have
that every year, perhaps not as severe, would be enough to
calve later. The Galt ranch didn't even have protection and it seems
to me if you can afford a helicoptor you could afford to calve later and have lighter calves. With no protection, looks to me like the Galt
ranch is just asking for it calving that early. But that's only my opinion.

Kit Pharo will show you that a semi-load of 450 lb. calves is worth
more than a semi-load of 650 lb. calves, but not everyone listens
to Kit Pharo. Dead calves don't pay many bills either.

And I couldn't figure out why they were trying to bulldog that bull. :shock:
(Which didn't look much like a bull.) It just made me think that
some people will go through a lot to keep from riding a horse.
I'm not putting anyone down that uses 4-wheelers, cuz we use them
too now. But 3000 head of cattle and no horses is a head scratcher
to me. The Stuckys or the Hughes ranch would have roped that bull
horseback if they needed to.

I'll be glad when the storm is over on this program and there is better
weather...

it looked like the one outfit blew straw into the trees to entice the calves in there,looked like straw hanging from the trees

Faster horses said:
Kit Pharo will show you that a semi-load of 450 lb. calves is worth
more than a semi-load of 650 lb. calves, but not everyone listens
to Kit Pharo. Dead calves don't pay many bills either.

It takes a lot more 450 bound calves to make a load than it does 650 pound claves though. Where is the savings.

Faster horses said:
The savings comes in more live calves.
I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just what he advocates.

I know as we've gotten older, later calving is the way to go.
But good thing we aren't all alike.
:agree:

Its just a diferent world down here. There's 4 markets with the closeest bein 20 miles and the fatherest bein about 60. Open all year. Most folks sell in the early summer but some in the late summer. Lots of the biger ranches sell direct to the precondishioners and feed lots. Then some sell at the market. But calfin in that cold weither would not be what I'd won't. First off, I aint able. And if I was. I'd be to sorry to stay out all night and pull calfs. And on top of all that, havein cattle that were prone to calfin problems, calf in that bad weather is just askin for distaster. How many calfs did that one feller have to pull? I know it was a bunch. And how many others froze? I guess the lord was lookin after me when I got the ideay of raisein ropein cattle. They rarely have calfin problems. Our climate sure takes a lot of the work out of it. But its like this, what ever blows your dress up. I won't some milkers and a milk maid and a butter churn and ice cream and claber and cheese and yogart and such and peddle it.

cowhunter said:
Its just a diferent world down here. There's 4 markets with the closeest bein 20 miles and the fatherest bein about 60. Open all year. Most folks sell in the early summer but some in the late summer. Lots of the biger ranches sell direct to the precondishioners and feed lots. Then some sell at the market. But calfin in that cold weither would not be what I'd won't. First off, I aint able. And if I was. I'd be to sorry to stay out all night and pull calfs. And on top of all that, havein cattle that were prone to calfin problems, calf in that bad weather is just askin for distaster. How many calfs did that one feller have to pull? I know it was a bunch. And how many others froze? I guess the lord was lookin after me when I got the ideay of raisein ropein cattle. They rarely have calfin problems. Our climate sure takes a lot of the work out of it. But its like this, what ever blows your dress up. I won't some milkers and a milk maid and a butter churn and ice cream and claber and cheese and yogart and such and peddle it.

amen. he was also gracious enough to give us milder winters, but i could do without the 95 degree with 90% humidity here right now.

Yea, like I said. Our climate is much more forgivein. But we do get some bone chillin cold rainy weather here.but don't try and calf in it. I got a live oak hamock around my big pasture that the average tree is 5ft dbh and it offers a lot of shade as well as a place to get out of the cold. And the heat and humidity can be so bad u can't get a lot done if it aint done early. So, its kind of a trade off. What ever blows your dress up.

Yall, first off, I hope I aint come across as throwin off on yalls way of calfin. Just a outsider lookin in, it seams to make it a little more risky. If u waited and had a bad storm, then thawed, I guess that would be a lot colder than the snow bein dry.

cowhunter said:
Yall, first off, I hope I aint come across as throwin off on yalls way of calfin. Just a outsider lookin in, it seams to make it a little more risky. If u waited and had a bad storm, then thawed, I guess that would be a lot colder than the snow bein dry.
We know you didn't mean it disrespectful cowhunter.... Personally I find differant perspectives refreshing and sometimes down right funny... I'm still smiling over the milkcow thiingy....

Cowhunter, its mid June and I'm just now feeling safe that we aren't going to get a spring blizzard. I've seen it snow here in all 12 months. That's just part of life when you live here. If we waited to start calving until the weather wasn't a concern, we couldn't market our calves until December. That is a bad time of the year to sell cattle up here. I was wishing that we had calved in Jan. and Feb. this year. Those two months were more mild than I have ever seen here. You just never know what's going to happen from one year to the next.

I grew up in northeast Texas and also cowboyed some in Florida. As you know, the first thing anyone does with a purebred cow down south is cross it with a brahma. Here we run straight angus as do most folks. The only brahma I see belong to some friends that have a rodeo company. I have bought some high dollar, high powered bulls cheap because the people thought they were snorty. As a general rule the snorty cows here wouldn't make a pimple on the butt of some cows I grew up with. Now those were fun times. Me and the "Hostile Native" argue every year when we decide on what heifers to keep. She'll say its snorty or rank and I say its lively with good mothering instincts. Its a yearly argument. The only cows of ours that see a barn though are the heifers we calve out and I also have a few milk cows. Everything else calves on the range. 2 years ago a blizzard hit a week before we supposed to start calving. Holy smokes was it rough. We had calves stacked up like cord wood in our mudroom. We only lost one and it was a twin. Ya just never know sometimes.

I guess I don't know anyone who has barns that big or cows
that friendly in this area, cowhunter. :shock: :wink: :p

You just do what you can to prepare...it just kinda goes
with the territory. We're used to it, kinda like you are used to
those crocodiles!!

Its got to be where u don't see near the ear as u use to around here. They get docked to much money. Its ashamed to, because the eared cattle sure make good mamas. They calf easy and that good fh, because they will generly will catch up. I think when cattle are handled a lot, ai, preg checkin, several vacs and and such, cattle tend to tame up. Specialy angus cattle. They seam far more dosal. I've seen them only look a little concerned over a pack of dogs catch her calf as I put a .243 cartariage in there guts. Like I said, its what ever blows ur dress up. If I was born and raise in the cold country, I'm sure I'd love and and won't to live no place else.

Mr. Galt needs to park his many helicopters and get back down to earth. His calves are dying at a pretty good clip and all he does is fly around. It makes ranchers look bad. A cowboy takes care of cows. A pilot flies aircraft. The show isn't called The Last American Pilot.

I tend to agree. Mr. Galt needs to get in there with his nephew and get calves dr'd. But my question was.....why didn't they send a sample to the vet and find out what kinda scours they were dealin with before they were three days into treatment, and then decide it wasn't working?

We don't deal with scours down here. But just what little I've learned on ranchers about scours.....I knew he needed to find out and fast.

Oh and somethin else.....he has a son....they show him in the previews of the next episode. Why isn't he schoolin that kid to take over? Instead they have the nephew doin everything. Not that that's wrong....but the look on the kids face when they are doin a c section on a cow (in the previews) he looks horrified...like he's never seen anything like that. And he was raised on the ranch???

Love the show tho....that pour Hughes fella...needs some help. He's hell bend for leather ever where he goes. Either him or his horse are gonna give out way before it's time.

Love the Stuckey outfit.

There seems to be something we're not being told about the Hughes operation. Everytime they show the ranch sign it says "Hughes and Sons." That leads me to believe there's more than one son, but the only one on the ranch is Scott. He's got more get up and go than I do!

Latest posts