• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Late fall pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

coyote

Reaction score
moon002-Copy.jpg

cowsmoving002-Copy.jpg

cowsmoving006-Copy.jpg

highlander003-Copy.jpg

Homestead, in its one hundred and first year.
homestead001-Copy.jpg

Awesome! But your pictures made me shivvvvver a tad bit! :shock: Looks cold to me but then again I havent been warm since August. Pretty country with lots of good grass sticking out of the snow. Cows ought'a be fat and sassy.

Your country looks in ideal condition for wintering, a little snow and a lot of grass.

Are there any original buildings left at your homesite?

gcreekrch, no we don't have any original buildings left.

I know when they put the windtowers in it took a lot of energy , they just don't magically appear and start producing energy. As far as being reliable I do see sometimes some blades are not turning.
When the construction was going on a tornado came through and tipped a crane and wrecked some blades.
Here is some info on them if anyone is interested. http://www.saskpower.com/about_us/generation_transmission_distribution/wind_facilities.shtml

Your part of the country is looking pretty good going into winter. Are your cows still able to find their own feed?

JF Ranch said:
I see plenty of wind energy close by. Is it cheap and reliable?

Here in southern Ontario there is no issue that has proven more divisive than wind energy. The power of decision making about their location and installation was taken away from local municipalities and embedded in the provincial government (Liberal :roll: ).

As for cheap - the companies (i.e.-Suncor) who own them are paid extremely generous government subsidies (3 - 4X retail rates) for their production.

As for reliable - here they operate at about 30% efficiency and are, of course, unpredictable as the wind, so to speak. In order to offset the intermittent power they generate, the conventional generating systems (NG, coal, nuke) have to slow down and ramp up generation to accommodate the surges and drops that are the trademark of wind energy.

Hopefully, Saskatchewan does a better job.

My question about reliable and cheap wind power was mostly tongue in cheek.

I personally don't believe wind energy can stand on it's own without government subsidies. Why we throw good money away like that, I don't understand. If wind power made economic sense without government money, I'd be in favor of it.

I'm sorry I highjacked your thread. Your photos are good, but they remind me of bitterly cold winter weather, which in this part of Nebraska, we have not been blessed with as of yet! (note: my fingers and toes are crossed as I typed that!)

Latest posts