• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Later Spring 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
This spring has been going well, and I plan on turning bulls out soon, then head to the forest the first part of June :D . Here are some recent pics of what's been going on!

We branded over a month ago.
Winter352.jpg

I put them in the chute and feed them into the calf table.
Winter353.jpg

Yearling heifers last month.
Winter366.jpg

It snowed some in April, BUT nothing like normal.
Winter404.jpg

After the change in weather, a few bloaters showed up. They have to be pretty sick, or I have to be pretty lucky to get them caught :lol: . Luckily Jim could help me hold them once I got them caught... they're just a tad too big for me to wrestle at this point.
Winter421.jpg

Been doing a little dragging to clean the place up :D .
Winter388.jpg

The late calves trailing out after being branded.
Winter431.jpg

It has been a mild spring, and I have gotten by feeding less hay with a little cake :wink:.
Winter441.jpg

The ladies like their cake!
Winter443.jpg

We PAP tested our new Balancers, and 2 out of 4 passed :? .
Winter457.jpg

Unfortunately this was one of the flunkies :cry:. He'd make someone a really nice bull at a lower elevation.
Winter469.jpg

Cows hanging out.
Winter460.jpg

Winter522.jpg

Winter525.jpg

Pete is growing up :D.
Winter484.jpg

Horses lounging around.
Winter485.jpg

The older bulls eating a little cake. I hope to bribe them out of their pasture soon for their annual physical :wink:.
Winter516.jpg

A couple of new bulls we bought to replace the ones which didn't PAP test. They're two OCC Missing Link sons FWIW :).
Winter504.jpg

May 11... it has been snowing all day, and is suppose to continue through the night. It should make the grass really pop when it warms back up later this week.
Winter527.jpg

This pic was taken of me last spring... on days like this I like to look at it to give me hope of things to come :D .
Me1.jpg

Looks like your ladies have put all they eat into their calves. Hope you get some lush grass soon.

We are in the same boat here too, no snow but it has been too wet and cold for pastures to really grow. Strange weather year , last year at this time we thought the drought was continuing into 2010.

Just wondering, are your bulls guaranteed to PAP test when you buy them ?

Thanks for the compliments :D .

Hillsdown, they were guaranteed. I called the breeder, and they immediately picked them up (they live out of state), and gave us our money back. They even offered to pay for their feed, which we refused to accept. We couldn't have dealt with better people, and I hope we can figure out a way to buy their bulls in the future without costing each of us additional time and money.

Looking good! If you are coming this weekend, could you bring your pickup and trailer instead of flying? The creek is waaaaaay too high to cross, so we may be hauling them instead.

Nicky said:
Looking good! If you are coming this weekend, could you bring your pickup and trailer instead of flying? The creek is waaaaaay too high to cross, so we may be hauling them instead.

See, we could go rafting at your place, and sledding over here... what a weekend! As you can see, it's still a bit wintry up here today, but 50/60's tomorrow :D . I hope Shortgrass is getting some of this too!

Winter537.jpg

Things are looking good for you.

That last picture is calendar quality for sure. Simply beautiful! I like the way the horse, rider and dog are so peacefully marching up over the grassy rise, with snow capped mountains in the distance. Is it you? And is that the sorrel laying down in the horse picture?

Scenery like that looks to be well worth the extra snow you get up there.

JF Ranch said:
Things are looking good for you.

That last picture is calendar quality for sure. Simply beautiful! I like the way the horse, rider and dog are so peacefully marching up over the grassy rise, with snow capped mountains in the distance. Is it you? And is that the sorrel laying down in the horse picture?

Scenery like that looks to be well worth the extra snow you get up there.

Yes, that's me riding, and yes, that's the same sorrel horse. Like NR guessed, "Dan" is a very kind horse, and has turned into a nice ranch horse for me :) . Here is a better pic of him from that day. And I agree, I'm fortunate to live in such a pretty place... even if it snows 12 months out of the year :lol: :D .

Meedit.jpg

Nice pictures, Wyoming Rancher. I admire your methods of ranching. You are well-organized and efficient, and your livestock is of very high quality.

So when you ride your horse, Dan, do you sing the words to the song "Cool Water"? As in, "Keep a movin', Dan, don't you listen to him, Dan, he's a Devil not a man, and he spreads the burning sand with water......." Just curious. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
Nice pictures, Wyoming Rancher. I admire your methods of ranching. You are well-organized and efficient, and your livestock is of very high quality.

So when you ride your horse, Dan, do you sing the words to the song "Cool Water"? As in, "Keep a movin', Dan, don't you listen to him, Dan, he's a Devil not a man, and he spreads the burning sand with water......." Just curious. :wink: :)

No singing here, humming maybe, but definitely no singing... that would cause him to buck me off if I tortured him with that :lol:.

Latest posts