• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

LCHMN On Target

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
Anyone use him ? How were his calves. I have seen one son who in my opinion was a nice bull just light muscled everywhere. Is that representative of the bull?
Thanks

Hi Red Robin:

A couple of questions...what are you planning on using him on? Are you planning on keeping any of the heifer calves for replacements???

A couple of things, in the Spring '05 Red Angus sire summary, these are On Targets EPD's...

BW: 2.7
WW: 41
Yw: 78
Milk: 25
Total Maternal: 46
Stayability: 16
Marbling: -.04
Ribeye: +.03
Fat: +.03
Heifer Preg.: 12

All with high accuracies...

So, knowing this I'd suggest using him on COWS--depending upon your cow herd. In using a "unknown" (to you at least) better to be safe than sorry!!! Another thing to look for when considering using a bull is to ask to look at the cow for udder and foot quality.

Now, for my opinion, on On Target...his daughters are hard doing, gutless wonders...those daugthers I've seen are average muscled. All I've seen are young daughters so can't comment on feet or udders, however I'd be very suspicious of his feet (his maternal grand sire is Leachman Heavenly, who is well known in the breed for having BAD:( Feet!!!!) As well, most On Targets are light red.

On Target has pretty much fallen off the face of the Earth in the Red Angus circles, as did a bull calf he sired "Paramount." Paramount was out of a "no miss" cow--to his credit (depending how you look at the show ring, at least) he won the National Western Stock Show, Denver (I think that was the National Show) as a calf, after that you didn't hear anything about him....

If you are interested in Red Angus genetics, I'd suggest you visit with Bryan Gill, Big Red Genetics (website: www.bigredgenetics.com) Bryan is a younger fellow, starting a new genetics company--he knows cattle, and if you want On Target semen he can probably find it for you. He has two good well proven bulls that have been used lots in our area, BHR Logan 734B, and OHRR Dakota Copper-if you're looking for bulls that will sire good cows. As well, Bryan carries (and is part owner) in a Leachman bull Tassel Executive--I hear lots of good about him from some smaller purebred breeders.

Another good Red Angus genetic advisor is Kyle Gilchrist-his website is www.redcows. net Kyle could help you out too.

I hope this helped--I offered more than you asked for--if you have other questions feel free to PM me...

Cheers,

TTB :lol:

Thanks for the info. I liked his picture . I could care less about his color but if his daughters in anyones opinion didn't have enough volume I am OUT. Thanks again.

Red Robin said:
BTW I like the tassel execuctive picture as well. In a picture I saw though somewhere he looked short from hooks to pins. Have you seen him in person?

Red Robin:

Yes, I've seen Tassel Executive in person, late last fall---personally I thought he looked good, very complete, and in my estimation adequate from hooks to pins, certainly not short--and thought he was thick topped. I think his Ribeye EPD is +.22, so he should have some thickness down his top.

A couple of breeders I have a great deal of respect for (try to breed very complete cattle) have used him and like him, and his daughters. I guess if I could change him I'd change his numbers-I'd lower his BW EPD, especially in relation to WW and YW-but numbers aren't everything. If he can sire great daughters, with good feet and udders, good disposition, and good mothering ability-that is a great thing!!! But they have to be able to have the calf and the calf has to grow too!

By the way I do not recall seeing any daughters of Tassel Executive--may have, but don't remember them.

Again, check out the pedigree for feet. Tassel Robinhood 78E (I think, but am not sure that was a full or three quarter brother) had and sired daughters with horrid feet. Both 78E and Tassel Executive were sired by Leachman Robin Hood 1174B, and have Leachman Heavy Cream as Maternal Grand Sire. But, just because they are sibs doesn't mean that they are the same (just compare their EPD's!!!)

My thoughts, for whatever they are worth!!! :wink:

TTB

I appreciated your comments, TTB! I love a person that has information and isn't afraid to give it!

I might add Bruce Ketchum, Milk Creek Reds at Plevna, Mt. is very knowledgeable about Red Angus bloodlines. He has a real serviceable set of registered Red Angus cows and commercial ones as well. He has sold some bulls into studs, but his cows are real cows. He runs a great program.

We don't have Red Angus, but they are my favorite breed. When we changed from Herefords to Angus in 1979, Red Angus were very hard to find.

Thanks for the info TTB. I appreciate it. If you like big sound feet with proper shape to them TTB, you should try a little semen from a bull calf Larry Croissant (sp) bred and RA Brown bought. He is a nice bull calf to look at. Not overwhelming anywhere except he has unbeatable feet. He was a fair amount nervous though. Could have been the surroundings but ...

I have seen a handfull of On Tagets calves. They were all pretty flat sided. But they say the daughters are pretty good. I think that their are better bulls out there. Their must be some reason why you never here of him anymore. I realize he is dead, but alot of the good bulls that are gone are still being used where this guy isn't.

Latest posts