• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

lease bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Justin

Reaction score
i have a friend that is wanting to lease 2 bulls. anyone know of any available for lease in my neck of the woods? and how much a lease is going for? they have to be black angus of course :wink:

Justin said:
i have a friend that is wanting to lease 2 bulls. anyone know of any available for lease in my neck of the woods? and how much a lease is going for? they have to be black angus of course :wink:

Before you make a move- check out whatever your state laws are on leasing anything but "virgin certified" bulls.... MT and several other states have strict laws- and testing requirements on leasing bulls- and/or changing possession of bulls- or selling "nonvirgin" over 24 month old bulls.....

With SD's major Trich problems of the past- I would hope they have some laws too....

Last angus sale I saw (out of Nebraska)-- bulls for lease were going from $900 to $3,000 with major part leasing for around the $900- $1,000- $1250 mark....

Unless it is top bulls being used by seedstock breeders--- with our new multiple test Trich laws-- locally I see few (if any) bulls being leased- or older nonvirgin bulls being sold for anything but slaughter.....

i haven't heard of many being leased around here, but i haven't been looking for them either. i have never leased a bull, nor do i intend to in the near future. although, i do think leasing is a good option for some outfits if the bulls are available.

i'm just trying to help a friend out in this situtation. :)

Justin said:
WyomingRancher said:
http://www.jorgensenfarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=136

thank you, WR. :D

Sure, I don't know what sort of deal my friend has for sure, but I think he pays around $950/bull. I've heard they even send bulls to Florida.

WyomingRancher said:
Justin said:
WyomingRancher said:
http://www.jorgensenfarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=136

Sure, I don't know what sort of deal my friend has for sure, but I think he pays around $950/bull. I've heard they even send bulls to Florida.

i passed the info on and it sounds like he's going to lease two from them. $900/bull and they will deliver them.

Justin said:
WyomingRancher said:
Justin said:

i passed the info on and it sounds like he's going to lease two from them. $900/bull and they will deliver them.

That's great, I hope it works good for them :D . I know my friend has been very happy with how it has worked, and the calves he's gotten.

http://www.profitmakerbulls.com/bull-leasing-program.html

Profit Maker Bulls, also has a good program. In their "Lease Auction" if you desire to own the bull, you just pay 3x the money of your lease bid.

I have a bunch of customers in Idaho, that would prefer a lease bull. Not very many willing to lease though for more than $300, mostly b/c their are dummies willing to lease bulls for that cheap, just like their are dummies selling yearling bulls for $1000-1200. We all know what kind of bull you end up getting.

If your in need in the West give me a call, I too lease my bulls for $1000 for the breeding season. Registered Angus Bulls with all the performance data.

Are Profit Maker lease bulls tich tested per year. Are the Profit Maker two year olds tested for tich and resold as lease bulls again as 2 year olds.

I don't know for sure how it works, but I think you have the option to buy your lease bulls at the end of the season from Jorgensen's as well, with the summers lease price going towards the purchase price if you decide to buy.

If anyone ever has a chance to stop and see the Jorgensen operation, it would be well worth your time.

You have used Jorgensen's bulls since 1997, Big Swede?

I always thought they were good cattle, tried to buy an 033 bull
once, but the breeder pulled a fast one on us and we didn't get one.
And we didn't buy any more bulls from that person either.
I found out later that some of his best cows were 033 breeding.

I always wanted to go to Jorgensens and see the cattle. Haven't
made it yet tho.

My first crop were 033 sons. Since we started using their genetics the volume and capactiy of the cows have doubled I swear. They make real broody cows if you select the right bulls. Udders and disposition have greatly improved too. I never cull for poor udders anymore. Their only fault I can see is some of their feet aren't the best but Cody has been working on that issue from what I hear.

I've never actually bought a bull from Jorgensens themselves but the Risse Ranch has been one of their cooperator herds since 96 or 97 and that's the herd I select my bulls from.

We have been a multiplier herd for Jorgensen's for about 20 years and I always like looking at Risse's pens of bulls. They really do a nice job. They always buy out of the front end of the bull sale as well....usually all the ones I'm after! :)

I'm pretty sure I've met you Nebraska Sandhills, I'm Wade's cousins that tags along to Winner some years. Nice website by the way.

I know I'm probably not the most profitable but what I like to do is pick out what I feel are my best cows and breed 3 to 5 of them AI to the genitics I want, then pick out the best bull calf. I only need one bull at a time and I can use him about 4 to 5 years and still get a good price when I sell him.

I used to sell my bull every two years as I had people begging for a bull with one or two years of calves on the ground but there are very few cattle around here anymore.

When I came home from the Corp in 1971 abut half of the farms around had both cattle and hogs but less than 1 in 20 have cattle now and you just can't find a hog that is not in a factory anymoe. If you wanted to raise hogs you can't sell them as the packing houses don't buy any just raise ther own.

Big Swede said:
I'm pretty sure I've met you Nebraska Sandhills, I'm Wade's cousins that tags along to Winner some years. Nice website by the way.

That's very possible--either I or my Dad, I know he talks with Wade more than I do at the bull sales.

The website needs some new pictures and updates for 2011, but thank you. Maybe after calving season I can get after it.

Jorgensen's online version of the catalog is now available so I've started marking some early favorites.

Latest posts