• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Leasing Tribal ground

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RJH

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with running cows on tribal ground? Was thinking of putting together a proposal to lease a ranch on reservation and was wondering what anybody else thinks of that...good or bad.

The deallings that I have had with the tribal ground out in eastern utah have been a good experience they were a little more expensive than I liked but was sure cheaper than feeding hay. The way I look at if it makes sense and both sides agree to conditions why not do it.

That makes sense and is the way to look at it. I guess I am more concerned with being a non indian on tribal ground. I had heard the laws kind of work in their favor from time to time.

RJH said:
That makes sense and is the way to look at it. I guess I am more concerned with being a non indian on tribal ground. I had heard the laws kind of work in their favor from time to time.

Here in Ontario the cops seem to have an unduly high regard for them, so to speak, as do the courts . . .

RJH said:

How it will work depends on the integrity of the people involved.

RJH said:
Does anyone have any experience with running cows on tribal ground? Was thinking of putting together a proposal to lease a ranch on reservation and was wondering what anybody else thinks of that...good or bad.

Is it deeded land-- or is it a BIA or tribal lease? Is the owner a non Indian or are they tribal?
If it involves nonIndian deeded land on the reservation than the State courts have jurisdiction on any lease contracts you sign- if its an Indian lease then you get into the muddle of sovereign nation/Tribal Court/Federal Court/State Court-- and you as a lessee usually come out a loser...

Over the years I've watched so many leases between nontribals and tribals broken by the tribes just because of whichever tribal government is in power at the time..

Right now on the local rez we have a stable government and some pretty good folks on their land board- that while bidding up and charging nontribals more than tribals for the leases- has honored them no matter how high the price of cattle went- but it was only a matter of a few years ago the tribal administration in power was kicking off nontribal folks that had paid up 3-5 year leases after a year or two ( which I don't think they ever got their money back from ) because they had other tribal members bidding more- which in several cases those tribal members then subleased- doing so illegally to nontribals and pocketing the money....

Check closely with those that have been there and done it before you leap...

burnt said:
RJH said:

Here in Ontario the cops seem to have an unduly high regard for them, so to speak, as do the courts . . .

Because they know better than to have the situation arise where a white man pisses off an Indian. Government officials won't enforce white man's regulations on reserves.

Cedarcreek said:
RJH said:

How it will work depends on the integrity of the people involved.

Truer words were never spoken!

Latest posts