• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Less wheat more peas?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Buckskin

Reaction score
Heard on the news intended wheat seeding acres lowest since 1973. They said the last time it was this low a lot of the famers wasn't born or at least not farming yet. Everybody in NE Mt is going to seed pulse crops( Peas and Lentils) because of high fertilizer prices. Maybe a guy should seed all wheat??? Probably not to many dirt farmers on this here cow site! Where I live you have to do both.
Just had a old cow calf and she decided she liked a younger cows calf better, so had to straighten that out. Most of the time it is the other way around, if it happens. :???: :???:

educate me: how do you convince the old cow that her calf is actually better than the younger cow's? seriously. do you pair them up in a barn to where they're stuck with their own? or what??

Buckskin said:
Heard on the news intended wheat seeding acres lowest since 1973. They said the last time it was this low a lot of the famers wasn't born or at least not farming yet. Everybody in NE Mt is going to seed pulse crops( Peas and Lentils) because of high fertilizer prices. Maybe a guy should seed all wheat??? Probably not to many dirt farmers on this here cow site! Where I live you have to do both.
Just had a old cow calf and she decided she liked a younger cows calf better, so had to straighten that out. Most of the time it is the other way around, if it happens. :???: :???:

My dad always said that when everybody else is running, you should walk, and when everybody else is walking, you should run. Don't know if that would apply to your wheat question or not.

The charts look dangerously like a head and shoulders top. But who knows? so there, that oughta confuse you good. Does that make me an average prognosticator? :???:

Buckskin said:

We've learned that whatever the "experts" say, do the complete opposite! How many other producers heard the same thing? Seed a bit of both, just to cover all the bases.

Today was nice. Sunny, fairly warm, and hardly no wind! What a welcome change from all those many days of snow and wind! How about you?

It was nice, cool breeze though. going to -20 tonite. There is a lot of snow and its going to +8 on Sunday with rain. Should be fun!!!

Yea, it's been cooling off here at night too. -22 last night, same for tonight. And we might get rain Sunday, too, might help to settle the snow down. I am just dreading when all this snow starts to melt. Might have to put flotation devices on the calves!

Buckskin said:

Buckskin-- Thinking of peas and flax-- maybe a couple hundred acres of wheat--Sounds to me like with all the surplus wheat in storage, that even a few years of record low production won't bring the price back up....And you are right about fertilizer prices-- not even sure if I will fertilize the hayfields now that we got some moisture- especially since they can't guarantee more than one irrigation on the irrigated ground......

I haven't been following it that closely, but I'm wondering what the state ethanol gas bill will do to crop prices if it passes-- especially for corn and barley.....

chuckie said:
educate me: how do you convince the old cow that her calf is actually better than the younger cow's? seriously. do you pair them up in a barn to where they're stuck with their own? or what??
Most of the time you just need to separate them into pens. Some of the time you have to put the cow in a chute and let the calf milk. Usually do that a couple days and she will start talking to the calf and you are on the way to a happy pair for the rest of the summer.

Oldtimer
We need to build a plant or two before it will help our prices much. We have been doing some work on one in Wolf Point, but very early stages.

Latest posts