• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Like the Marines, looking for a few good men!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pointrider

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people say things like, "The Marines lead the way. They are the first into the battle."

I have a friend who suggested that I start looking for "a few good men (and women)" who would be willing to be leaders and help start what he called "The Association of Progressive Cattle Producers."

Members of this association would agree that change is inevitable and is necessary in the competitive arena of food production. They would be willing to embrace change if the evidence of a particular change is strong enough to suggest that it would be good for individual producers as they seek to improve profitability as they work within their good and individual value systems.

They would be content to let the others waste their time in endless, pointless verbal battles on this and that while they get on with the business of making changes and improving the availability and quality of beef and bottom line profitability, and they would do this with the hope that many of their friends and neighbors would sooner or later understand what they are doing and would get in the game.

They would be willing to do their work not only to improve their own individual operations, but would be willing to do it in such a way as to be "the light on the hill" for all to see so that the entire beef industry will benefit from their positive examples in the long run. And most of all, just like the majority of the Marines going over the hill into battle, because they love their fellow man, and they want to be an example of how our love for each other is really the only solution to all the challenges we face collectively.

Are you the kind of person who would like to be a member of "The Association of Progressive Cattle Producers?" Maybe you want more information. Maybe you want to tell someone why you think it won't work. Whatever your position, send me an email and let's talk. I think my friend may have a good idea here.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Here in lies the dillema facing us all.

Is profitability the only consideration that matters?

Should an organization stand for something, and/or can it also stand against some things? at the same time!

If all I wanted was profits, I wouldn't be living on the farm!

Kathy said:

Should an organization stand for something, and/or can it also stand against some things? at the same time!

And if you didn't make a profit.........you wouldn't stay long either. :wink:

rkaiser said:
How far north would this Association reach pointrider?

As far as I'm concerned it can be an international association. I believe we all need to work on accepting others all over the world as our brothers and sisters - except maybe for those driving into town in car bombs. It needs to be a two-way street as always. The question is, are we ready to accept them if they prove they really want to be our sisters and brothers?

Kathy said:

Mike is right, Kathy. Most ranchers who are really trying to make a living as cow-calf producers will not be able to stay in the business if they don't make a profit. And that's the point along with the point that I don't believe that folks have to be crooks to make a profit.

The keys are being efficient producers producing the right products, being expert marketers and being expert bottom line strategists. But don't forget, I also said, "in keeping with your good and individual value systems." This is where it might be possible for a company and an industry to stand for more than one thing at a time and to stand against other things.

One rancher's value system may center around providing a great life on the ranch for his family today, and a way for one or more of the kids to inherit the ranch and keep it going later on (assuming one or more of the kids are interested).

Another rancher may have incorporated and bought out several of his neighbors, thereby creating a large operation that is available as an investment (equity stock) to his or her friends and neighbors and also including provisions for a percentage of the profits to go into a trust fund for the American Cancer Society in honor of the father who started the original ranch 50 years ago.

There are many possibilities of different value systems that are diverse and honorable if they are done for the right reason. That reason being to help others as opposed to ego/empire building.

Don't get me wrong on this point, Kathy. I am not saying that only people with honorable value systems with make money and stay in the business. I've known ego/empire builders who were pretty good at making money. But it doesn't do anyone any good but them, which really means that it doesn't do anyone any good. Where's the real value in one man making $10 million dollars and hoarding it away only for himself.

The Bible says that a man cannot love both God and money. A man has to choose. So, here's the question. What is the basis for your value system and your business?

Well, that's probably enough for now, Kathy. Do you see what I mean? Let us hear from you again if you can spare the time.

Latest posts