• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

little extra going on today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Did a Parts run for the swather today to Valley imp in Preston Idaho. On the way up Mink Creek a guy was there next to the road on one of the windy corners, asked to use my cell phone. Told him it wouldn't work here in the canyon and told him I'd turn around and for him to jump in. Got down to Oneida narrows and the phone got a bar handed it to him. Well 3 phone calls later we at the Junction and he talking kicks 66 on the phone so I drive him on down to there. Going back up the canyon and just a few hundred yards past where I picked him up on a blinded 90 degreed corner there traffic on both sides the narrow road a semi weaving thru drive thru pull over turn flashers on and walk back seeing black mark off the highway down into the deep creek. A white with black strip sports car had flipped once and was on its wheels looking back up toward the high way. Guy yell there nobody inside, some others cleaning up papers from under the car in the creek bring up a arrest warrant as I said I just hauled someone to Preston. Yup his picture was on the warrant, told the people by the car that he told me he left his wallet and $1800 cashed payroll in the cancel of his broke down car with a flat tire. One couple got my card a mile marker and was going to call it in everything her pieced together when they got cell service…My too thoughts the guy stank to high heaven, did smell booze and would take bets he was also tweaking. Glad my dogs were in with me too.

That's why I just don't mess with people that I happen upon on the side of the road. I don't care what you look like, I'm not going to stop and mess with you on the side of the road unless I can see that you're having car trouble. Otherwise, I figure my life and health are too important to my family for me to take chances in this modern era. All it takes is one goofball.

I gave a guy a ride from Glenwood Springs, CO to Denver when I was 23. He just came up to me at the gas station and asked for a ride. We had a nice chat on the long trip and it all went well until we got to Denver. Then he tried to manipulate me to take him exactly where he wanted to go and then started yelling out the window at stop lights for other drivers to give him a lift to a certain part of town. He got a little agitated and manipulative and I decided I was done with him and he could get out. There was another episode that scared me with a guy that turned out to be a professional con-artist. I gave him a ride and it took me half the night to get rid of him without taking a risk of my health and well-being. He was bigger than me and not nearly as naive. I could tell right away that he was a crafty one and had been around the block a time or two. After I got free of him I decided that was the end of my good will, for life. My motto is if you need help, get it from the police or a local church. If there's an accident or something where someone needs immediate assistance, then that's a different story as far as I'm concerned.

We don't help people here either. Wednesday, five hitchhikers off of the Interstate started hiking down to the house. Jim spotted them and took "gunther" with him to confront them. They were thirsty and wanted water. Authorities had been called, and were ready to pick them up once they made it back to the highway :wink: . We never trust any strangers, Jim has too many stories...

My grand dad hired every migrant bum that was travling thru, alot lived in a old tack room a log garage on side of the old barn, to a family of 4 four that shared the sheep camp. Dad lost a good saddle, and a few other things. But then dad stopped and helped every person stopped along the highway. I usually pass most of the time , this guy was , boom just there in the road, would not of even thought about giving him a lift if my 2 border collies were not with me.

Latest posts