• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"Little Wonder" saddle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

meramec

Reaction score
My dad used a saddle given to him in the 70s by "a cowboy from Oklahoma" after all our tack was stolen (but that's another story). This saddle is in decent shape, has some scuffs and the fleece has a tear, definitely restore-able. The stamp on it reads "Little Wonder, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Southwest Distributing Co." It has silver conchos, a diamond quilted light oil seat, the rest is dark brown with floral and sunburst tooling, the tooling on the fenders shows a saddled cowpony confronting a stubborn looking calf.

I'm considering whether to restore it for use or decoration and just wondered if anyone knows some history on this brand of saddle, as no one here (Indiana) that I've talked to does, nor do I find much of anything on Google or Ebay. Much appreciate your comments!

Little Wonder is the brand of the tree in the saddle. I can't find any info on Southwest Distributors Co. if it was a saddle shop or a store that just delt in all brands, I dont know, but I did find a website that has saddles made on Little Wonder trees. Might hafta do some more diggin to find info out on the company that makes the trees. Hope this helps.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Little+Wonder+Saddle+tree&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

I had a saddle with a "Little Wonder" tree when I was a kid. (Lilly and I had this discussion before). Mine was made by Buck Steiner. I think that company is still in business somewhere in Texas. Sid Steiner the (in)famous steer wrestler is a descendant of Buck Steiner and I read some where that he is managing the saddle shop now.

Hope this helps!

Yeap, Sid Steiner is manning the saddle shop, and some of his other relatives, not sure cousins or what, have Steiner Ranches and have some really nice Brangus Bulls at their sales.
I have a Buck Steiner saddle, but it doesn't say what kinda tree is built on.

My dad used a saddle given to him in the 70s by "a cowboy from Oklahoma" after all our tack was stolen (but that's another story). This saddle is in decent shape, has some scuffs and the fleece has a tear, definitely restore-able. The stamp on it reads "Little Wonder, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Southwest Distributing Co." It has silver conchos, a diamond quilted light oil seat, the rest is dark brown with floral and sunburst tooling, the tooling on the fenders shows a saddled cowpony confronting a stubborn looking calf.

I'm considering whether to restore it for use or decoration and just wondered if anyone knows some history on this brand of saddle, as no one here (Indiana) that I've talked to does, nor do I find much of anything on Google or Ebay. Much appreciate your comments!
In 1953 I bought a youth saddle fo $65.00 ,stamped ( little Wonder ,Tulsa Ok. ) At the Farm and Home supply store , Close to Indpls stock yards . It was rare around central Indiana . I traded it back to the store 2 years later with $100.00 for a new ladigo ropeing saddle with 4 " stirrups and 4 " belling band .

Fun story about my saddle. I had it registered at the courthouse. I sold it at one point. Years later i got a call from the local sheriff. He asked if it was my saddle because the registration numbers showed it was mine. I said it wasn't mine, I had sold it long ago. He said "it was on a stolen horse."

Fun story about my saddle. I had it registered at the courthouse. I sold it at one point. Years later i got a call from the local sheriff. He asked if it was my saddle because the registration numbers showed it was mine. I said it wasn't mine, I had sold it long ago. He said "it was on a stolen horse."
never heard any saddles registered , but very good idea

The saddle you "sold" years ago was found on a stolen horse. Sounds might suspicious to me. Is "faster horses" how you get away?

The saddle you "sold" years ago was found on a stolen horse. Sounds might suspicious to me. Is "faster horses" how you get aw
Stolen Saddles
Parody on Tom T. Hall's
Faster Horses

I met an old Wyoming cowboy out on range land
I told him I was workin', as the new ranch hand
I told him I could ride, shoot, do tricks and a take a stand
And I could build fence, good as any man

I told him I was a philosopher, I knew about life and fact
I do not care for fast horses, saddles, since I rode bareback
I said I was a poet, mountain cowgirl all on fire
He looked at me an' he said, "Girl you are a liar."

It is ...

"Faster horses, looser reins, stolen saddles, more mineral."

Last edited:
Stolen Saddles
Parody on Tom T. Hall's
Faster Horses

I met an old Wyoming cowboy out on range land
I told him I was workin', as the new ranch hand
I told him I could ride, shoot, do tricks and a take a stand
And I could build fence, good as any man

I told him I was a philosopher, I knew about life and fact
I do not care for fast horses, saddles, since I rode bareback
I said I was a poet, mountain cowgirl all on fire
He looked at me an' he said, "Girl you are a liar."

It is ...

"Faster horses, looser reins, stolen saddles, more mineral."
I'm glad you have found unique ways to entertain yourself. 🤣😂🤣

Could this have been a Little Wonder Saddle ?

Jessie under saddle 1.jpg

There were probably a lot of different small saddles. Some were designed for everyday ranch work, just on a smaller scale than the full sized
saddles. Yours sounded pretty unique. Like a working ranch saddle. :)

Rawlide made a little wonder tree. Rawlide used injection moulding plastic type material. They were sort of the first 'MASS" produced saddles.
I understood the Little Wonder tree was made by Ralide but Rawlide I believe was a tree-maker as well, and if Ralide was probably their tree number 1218. This tree was called this name because it was an approx. 12" saddle and was designed to fit most ponies and horses, which is a wonder all right. I have been trying to contact Ralide but they have not been answering their phone for at least a year. Anyone know what's going on with them?

Latest posts