• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Livestock Show; Upata, Bolivar, Venezuela...lots of photos

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
Attended this show yesterday and took some pics for you guys. Some interesting breeds there for sure. Most of the livestock shows here focus on milk production though this one definitely had some animals for the meat lovers.

Where relevant, I'll do my best to ID the different breeds. Since Bolivar is in the south of the country, there seems to be a lot of Brazilian influence in the cattle exhibited.

Guzera
100_3584.jpg

100_3580.jpg

Braunveigh.............though it could have been a cross....don't recall.
100_3581.jpg

Holstein crosses I do believe.
100_3586.jpg

Girholando; cross between Gyr and Holstein
100_3587.jpg

100_3606.jpg

Red Brahman
100_3588.jpg

Senepol
100_3589.jpg

100_3590.jpg

Gyr
100_3602.jpg

100_3593.jpg

Holstein (I think) :oops:
100_3605.jpg

Competition
100_3644.jpg

100_3641.jpg

100_3629.jpg

100_3627.jpg

100_3619.jpg

100_3613.jpg

100_3609.jpg

Great pics, thanks for taking us along :D . Those Senepol cattle look interesting. I'm surprised there weren't any nose rings in any of the bulls.

WyomingRancher said:
Great pics, thanks for taking us along :D . Those Senepol cattle look interesting. I'm surprised there weren't any nose rings in any of the bulls.

That particular ranch (the Senepols) is called Hato San Carlos and is only a short distance from mine. I've met the owner before and have long-threatened to put some Senepol blood in my herd....just haven't gotten around to doing it. His animals, both Senepol and the Red Brahmans, look as good as any I've seen in the area.

Big Muddy rancher said:
WyomingRancher said:

I agree with you :D those Senepol look real nice.

Interesting. Those are about the most slick-hided cattle
I've ever seen. Do you know if they sweat through their skin
like Brahamas to stand the heat better?

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
WyomingRancher said:

From what I've read about Senepols, the breed was developed on a Caribbean Island (don't recall which) with a mix of blood from European catte and African animals that did well in tropical heat.

They were selected for short hair and carry a "slick-hair" gene. It's impressive to run your hand over their hide. It feels like the hair is painted on.

Thanks for posting these! My Gyr/Brahman bull just died all of a sudden on me earlier this year. I can't wait to get another. I get fired up looking at pics like this.....I really enjoyed them.

katrina said:
Awesome pics ww..... Wow I would never get to see such a thing as a Gyr....

Maybe not "see" but somebody in your house said it seems to be your favorite sound to make . . . grrrrrrrr . . .

:wink: :lol:

burnt said:
katrina said:

Maybe not "see" but somebody in your house said it seems to be your favorite sound to make . . . grrrrrrrr . . .

Now that was hateful.. Gosh, just cut me to the bone would ya?? And it's only Monday........... :pretty: :heart: :pretty:

katrina said:
burnt said:
katrina said:

Now that was hateful.. Gosh, just cut me to the bone would ya?? And it's only Monday........... :pretty: :heart: :pretty:

Aw shucks, so sorry, you know I just made that up! :)

burnt said:
katrina said:
burnt said:

Aw shucks, so sorry, you know I just made that up! :)

Okie dokie..... :D

Whitewing said:
Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

From what I've read about Senepols, the breed was developed on a Caribbean Island (don't recall which) with a mix of blood from European catte and African animals that did well in tropical heat.

They were selected for short hair and carry a "slick-hair" gene. It's impressive to run your hand over their hide. It feels like the hair is painted on.
You are correct about the Senepol history Whitewing, the N'Dama was imported from Senegal to the island of St Croix where a composite was developed by crossing with Red Poll to blend the heat tolerance of the N'Dama with the qualities of the British beef breed (which was still a dual milk/beef in the 1800's) the N'Dama in common with other Bos Taurus African Sanga Cattle are extremely heat tolerant, docile temperament, fertile and good dams with beef quality similar to that of British breeds.

Latest posts