• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Loading Bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mn

Reaction score
Friday I tried Soapweed's way of loading along a fencline for a bull and a cow that were out. The hereford bull went way to easy, I thought I had the hang of it. When it was the cows turn I didn't do Soapweeds "easy does it part". So i fixed fence for awhile. At least I got here in. If she would have gone in the trailer there isn't a person fast enough to have goten the gate shut anyway. There wasn't time for pictures!!

Good for you for trying. And remember, Soapweeds cattle are used to being handled slow and easy. If your cattle are more used to "wilder ways" it might take them a little bit to catch on. Have patience. It will get better. When we work cattle, we don't say a word. Not a word. My husband has found it works really well to take his hat off his head and hold it very high in the air (well, as high as a 5'11" guy can hold it :wink: ) and the cattle go away from that as well as anything.

He maintains if you yell and holler and jump up and down BEHIND the cattle, they are looking behind them, instead of where you want them to go.This method works very well for us. No broken fence to fix, either.

Just hang in there and give it a little time!!!

The slower you work most animals the faster you will get done!!! - - - I have to be firm as I often have people who want to help me - - - - that is fine if they are already in the coralls and going thru the shut but not in the pastures.

Talk about fencing-was going to get to 6 pastures,but only got to 3 -fence to fix every place I went and major repairs needed,but no cattle mixed at present so that was good!

mn,

You can actually use those cheap panels against the fence to support it, usually the fence will help them hold to. Do this "lining" of the fence until you are pretty confident of the cattle,

PPRM

We work our cattle to the top of the corral then into the catch pens and back to the bottom thru the crowd pens, run and the chute. I have found that because of the corner at the top of the corral the cattle tend to stick their heads in it and all progress stops. So I put together a couple of them cheap panels and did away with the corner. Those panels make a half moon and the cattle just flow right around. No more cutting back and loosing half the group.

I also work back toward the way the cattle came into the corral. They seem more likely to "hurry" back to the exit gate and the only way to exit it thru the chute...right where I want them.

Every now and again the neighbor across the holler thinks he needs to help me work cattle. Only thing is he uses 4-wheelers and I use horses. Doesn't work too well. My cows are afraid of the bikes and his cows are afraid on my horses.

Mrs. Soapweed's method is to look a bovine in the eye and point with her whole arm which way they are supposed to go. She maintains that the cow/critter gets an immense look of relief, becomes immediately un-confused, and walks properly in the correct direction. :wink: :) Amazingly enough, her method works.

If M rs. Soapweed gave me that "wifey" look and pointed, I believe I'd go also! :lol:

Not that she looks mean or acts mean, just somethin' about a woman and the "wifey" look! :? :shock: :eek: :lol:

HaHaHa :lol: :lol: :lol: I think our mama's teach us that "wifey look" then we grow up and get married and usually without fail we get someone we get to practice that "wifey look" on till it's perfected. don't take too long to perfect it either......

FH.....
Your hubby's way is exactly right but I don't know about lifting your hat above your head ,the reflection from some might blind the animal! :D :D

My kids and I learned a long time ago to do every thing possible to avoid the "evil eye" :cry: - - - - life is better for everyone if we don't see it :!:

The evil eye is easy to cure,

Goes back to make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard, LOL.......

Just kidding,

PPRM

Latest posts