• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

loading silage from the silage pile.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,773
Reaction score
2
Location
East north east of Soapweed
My husband tells me I load wrong from the silage pile. He scoops across the pile area keeping it flat. I scoop from the bottom and scoop into the pile... who is right???
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
We need more info before we can advise.
Is it dirt or concrete underneath the pile?
Who can load the wagon faster? You or Hubby?
Which end are you loading from? North South East West
Does the tractor/loader leak oil or fuel?
 

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,773
Reaction score
2
Location
East north east of Soapweed
It's dirt uder the pile... The silage is tarped so we pull the tarp back and start at one end and work to the other end. It's a toss up on who's faster. I would say I am.. He piddles by gettting in and out to scoop by hand. I don't scoop by hand because I do it right the first time. No oil or gas leaks. My jd is a cherry....
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
katrina said:
It's dirt uder the pile... The silage is tarped so we pull the tarp back and start at one end and work to the other end. It's a toss up on who's faster. I would say I am.. He piddles by gettting in and out to scoop by hand. I don't scoop by hand because I do it right the first time. No oil or gas leaks. My jd is a cherry....

OK here is my opinion then. If you get no dirt in with the silage you are the one who is doing it right. Especially on the hand scooping. :lol2:
 

feeder

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
950
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
My husband scoops from the bottom. So you must be doing it right cuz my husband wouldn't be doing it wrong!! LOL
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
Depends how hard the pile is also if you dig deep into one spot it gives other areas time to start to spoil.Your husband most likely takes a little off the whole surface insureing the quality of the silage remains fresh everyday.My piles are packed so hard you cant just dig in I need to scrape it down then load.

I just feed mine anymore with a hot wire strung across kinda like a self feeder set the height and distance and just move your wire everyday,There are some cows who dont eat due to being timid so its not fool proof.Also if you feed this way dont I REPEAT DONT make your pile taller than 6 ft.3 years ago we had a pile 12 ft. high the cows ate under the top caved in on them I lost 7 cows that day it made for some expensive feed.
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
katrina said:
Denny, what do you use to pack your silage? I wouldn't say ours is real hard. We use an 8630 jd.

1805 massey with fluid and wheel weights.

I had a friend feed for my a few years ago he tried to dig in and lift he bent the cylanders on my loader its packed hard.

Does your silage heat. Mine is cold if yours is cold its packed.
 

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,773
Reaction score
2
Location
East north east of Soapweed
Our's is hot or warm......Anyway steam rises..... Ours is probally 15 ft to 18 ft high. I know when I was packing it, in the tractor I could see over the tree row and on to the shed roof. I'm scared of heights, so after I could look over the trees, I quit... I could go up, but I couldn't get back down. I froze up... Couldn't clutch or anything. I just couldn't handle it...
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
katrina said:
Our's is hot or warm......Anyway steam rises..... Ours is probally 15 ft to 18 ft high. I know when I was packing it, in the tractor I could see over the tree row and on to the shed roof. I'm scared of heights, so after I could look over the trees, I quit... I could go up, but I couldn't get back down. I froze up... Couldn't clutch or anything. I just couldn't handle it...

My kids pack ours but there is always an adult working the pile also.We dont build them that high anymore wide and short that way more cows can line up to the buffet..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I'm with Denny. If you scoop into the pile, you also loosen up the rest of the pile back in several inches if not feet, and that lets air get in. If you're feeding a foot a day that probably wouldn't matter, otherwise, scraping across the face will loosen it less and keep the face fresh.
 

canadian angus

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
760
Reaction score
0
Location
Northwest Saskatchewan
Does string ever bring a slide show to me, not only in the thought of silage and computors. Let me explain, I grow up with our place putting silage up with a flail cutter, hauling with a wagon, a wire apron on the bottom, pulling it out into the pit, spreading with forks and at the end of the day packing with a 9 N ford tractor.

Come winter hauling with a sliegh, but better yet our front end loader was an axe, and a fork. Flail choppers left the silage up to 16 inches long. We would start a colt with an older horse in the fall and come spring the new horse was seasoned.

When I said about te slide show, funny in the late 50's and 60's computers were not in my vocabulory, or was a front end loader.

Guess that is progress, now we have time to play on this silly thing, young people have time to get into trouble, dream of new machinery, not be too tired to go to bed at nite but talk to people around the world in this site.

Not complaining but comparing times.

CA and now we have big bales.......Yeah
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
canadian angus said:
Does string ever bring a slide show to me, not only in the thought of silage and computors. Let me explain, I grow up with our place putting silage up with a flail cutter, hauling with a wagon, a wire apron on the bottom, pulling it out into the pit, spreading with forks and at the end of the day packing with a 9 N ford tractor.

Come winter hauling with a sliegh, but better yet our front end loader was an axe, and a fork. Flail choppers left the silage up to 16 inches long. We would start a colt with an older horse in the fall and come spring the new horse was seasoned.

When I said about te slide show, funny in the late 50's and 60's computers were not in my vocabulory, or was a front end loader.

Guess that is progress, now we have time to play on this silly thing, young people have time to get into trouble, dream of new machinery, not be too tired to go to bed at nite but talk to people around the world in this site.

Not complaining but comparing times.

CA and now we have big bales.......Yeah


The 50s and 60s my dad was a kid then.My dads family crop farmed in southern Mn they planted 3000 acres of crops with 9 DC case tractors.

My grandfather passed away a few years ago the family made a book of his life he was an orphan at 15 with 5 sisters he started farming useing horses and ended with 4 wd steigers.He sure seen alot in his day..
 

Latest posts

Top